• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A shirt, tie and pocket square for this tweed suit...your suggestions please

Coler

Reaction score
I'm collecting this today (tried it on off the rails and it fit so nicely I couldn't pass it up)

http://www.magee1866.com/men-c1/suits-c6/3-piece-green-tweed-suit-nice-p2797

I intend to wear it to a wedding over the festive period. I'm finding it difficult to match a sharp looking shirt & tie combination.

My ideas extend no further than an ebony dress shirt with a tie in the burgundy palette.

My other thought is a plain white dress shirt and regimental style tie based on a navy stripe.

Can you make any other suggestions ?

I'll match it with a pair of brown brogues. I'm average build with black hair.

steveabdn

Reaction score
I take it you're an evening guest only?

What's your budget for accessories?

If you're going to the ceremony I'd suggest this is a bit casual.

I'd say that suit will only work with a white shirt and I'd be tempted to say a knitted tie. I think a copper tone would be nice with it.

tie is by Charvet on Mr Porter

knitted tie, again Charvet from Mr Porter

J Crew from Mr Porter

Marwood again from Mr Porter

I'd like to point out I'm not affiliated to Mr Porter! Just find it a good source of clothing

Other than that I'd suggest burgundy as an alternative

Let me know what you go for in the end

nohit

Reaction score
I'd stick with lighter colours for the shirt and tie, especially if you wear the waistcoat with that dark tweed. An ecru or cream shirt with a light burgundy tie and gold or tan hanky, for example. I don't like stripes or any shiny material with tweed, but that's just a personal preference.

steveabdn

Reaction score
I agree on the burgundy, I find it hard to picture navy working that well with this suit to be honest

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
only suitable for an evening guest and even then not entirely the most obvious. Maybe you should have asked earlier.

Coler

Reaction score

What's your budget for accessories?

Not really on a budget.

If you're going to the ceremony I'd suggest this is a bit casual.

I see why you say that but I'm confident in regards the nature of the event and the dress code.

I'd say that suit will only work with a white shirt and I'd be tempted to say a knitted tie. I think a copper tone would be nice with it.

Great suggestions - thanks for those. I like a tie with some texture for a tweed suit, but not a huge fan of the knitted ties. On foot of your post I picked up a nice copper/gold tie and a similarly toned pocket square in a paisley and I may go with that. Seems to look better with the ebony shirt I had in mind though as opposed to a plain white (something about the plain white makes the overall look very flat).

The other option is a navy tie with pale blue shirt. I will go for this if I opt not to wear the waistcoat I think. I am also considering a plum toned tie with a similarly coloured shirt in a pastel shade for that option.

Again, any thanks for your help - much appreciated.

I'd stick with lighter colours for the shirt and tie, especially if you wear the waistcoat with that dark tweed. An ecru or cream shirt with a light burgundy tie and gold or tan hanky, for example. I don't like stripes or any shiny material with tweed, but that's just a personal preference.

Thanks for your help - I have written off a navy striped tie now. As per above, I tried the suit with a pale blue shirt and textured navy tie and it looked sharp, without the waistcoat. I agree a lighter tone is the way forward if wearing as a 3 piece.

I agree on the burgundy, I find it hard to picture navy working that well with this suit to be honest

Thanks for your help - I'll post up a picture of the navy & blue shirt & tie with it - it works nicely. Burgundy is also very good but I'm finding it hard to identify the right tie. I had more success picking out a copper one.

only suitable for an evening guest and even then not entirely the most obvious. Maybe you should have asked earlier.

Why ?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not really on a budget.
I see why you say that but I'm confident in regards the nature of the event and the dress code.
Great suggestions - thanks for those. I like a tie with some texture for a tweed suit, but not a huge fan of the knitted ties. On foot of your post I picked up a nice copper/gold tie and a similarly toned pocket square in a paisley and I may go with that. Seems to look better with the ebony shirt I had in mind though as opposed to a plain white (something about the plain white makes the overall look very flat).

The other option is a navy tie with pale blue shirt. I will go for this if I opt not to wear the waistcoat I think. I am also considering a plum toned tie with a similarly coloured shirt in a pastel shade for that option.

Again, any thanks for your help - much appreciated.
Thanks for your help - I have written off a navy striped tie now. As per above, I tried the suit with a pale blue shirt and textured navy tie and it looked sharp, without the waistcoat. I agree a lighter tone is the way forward if wearing as a 3 piece.
Thanks for your help - I'll post up a picture of the navy & blue shirt & tie with it - it works nicely. Burgundy is also very good but I'm finding it hard to identify the right tie. I had more success picking out a copper one.
Why ?

If you need to ask about tweeds at a wedding then you need to learn fast to avoid making a fool of yourself. Tweed is not suitable in such events.

Coler

Reaction score

If you need to ask about tweeds at a wedding then you need to learn fast to avoid making a fool of yourself. Tweed is not suitable in such events.

But...surely nobody will notice and anything goes these days even at the most staid of gatherings. It is attendance not dress at most that matters.

Or is that just nonsense ?

Last edited:

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

But...surely nobody will notice and anything goes these days even at the most staid of gatherings. It is attendance not dress at most that matters.

Or is that just nonsense ?

Attendance is important but people will notice, most are not entirely fools. This is not your get out card, sorry.

steveabdn

Reaction score
I see plenty of tweed at weddings here in Scotland, not my choice to wear it but definitely something that people who are not entirely fools find suitable as wedding guest attire

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I see plenty of tweed at weddings here in Scotland, not my choice to wear it but definitely something that people who are not entirely fools find suitable as wedding guest attire

You could class these quite reasonably as a form of 'national dress'. I am sure many wear kilts as well including the groom. That is not what the OP is talking about regrettably.

steveabdn

Reaction score
Quote:
Many do wear kilts, some wear tweed with the kilt, some wear Prince Charlie or Argyll jackets with the kilt and some others wear full tweed suits

Coler

Reaction score

Attendance is important but people will notice, most are not entirely fools. This is not your get out card, sorry.

It wasn't meant to be a get out card. They're your words anyway.

...Nobody will notice and anything goes these days even at the most staid of gatherings. It is attendance not dress at most that matters.

Look, you don't know what the venue, staging or dress code for this event is, so inasmuch as you are seeking to lay down some rather inflexible general rules for wedding wear, this is perhaps not the thread to do so, nor do you have sufficient knowledge of those variables for this wedding to make any worthwhile comment regarding this particular event.

If it helps you sleep at night, I will in fact be attending the ceremony (afternoon). The venue for that and for the reception & dinner is a country manor (Ireland). No church component. The dress code for men at the groom's stipulation is 'tweed preferred'. It'll be a young and relaxed crowd. It'll be a lot of fun. If you did actually have anything contributory to say regarding a suggested shirt/tie combination then I'm sure I would be pleased to hear it.

Thanks again to those who made suggestions, all of which helped a lot.

Last edited:

styleguy9934

Reaction score
For the shirt i would suggest a large check such as this one from J Crew: http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/shirts/slimshirtshop/PRDOVR~07178/07178.jsp
For the tie and pocket square i would go with a nice orange such as the charvet pictured above or maybe something slimmer and find a matching pocket square.
As for accessories a nice watch with a brown leather strap, and if your wear the slim tie a 1" tie such as this: http://www.thetiebar.com/tie-bar-pr...eBars.asp&pg=2&categoryIds=98&optionValueIds=
this:http://www.thetiebar.com/tie-bar-pr...eBars.asp&pg=2&categoryIds=98&optionValueIds=
or this: http://www.thetiebar.com/tie-bar-pr...eBars.asp&pg=2&categoryIds=98&optionValueIds=

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads