• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

winghus

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am buying my first and second “proper” ties. I have a plain grey suit and a plain navy blue suit. Can someone recommend two or three sam hober ones pls?

I agree with the suggestions of dark blue/navy and burgundy if you only can have two. I have one sky blue included in the links below because I have that tie. I would call it slate more than sky blue and I love it with my navy suit and grey suits. That would be my third choice after dark blue and burgundy.

blues

burgundys

Lucky_Farmer

Reaction score
Thank you so much for all the recommendations, guys. This is much appreciated.

I am ordering the first two for business professional context as I might have to go for meetings in them. I was thinking of a third one to be a little bit more playful as I can wear them to dinners with business friends who i know well and can relax a bit. I am contacting David/Sam to put the orders now.

Cheers!

SimplyStylin

Reaction score
I've snagged many ties over the years, mainly on my own fingernails. ?
And yes, I trim them.
I've even snagged many a satin silk ties, which are not a loose weave.
I've been buying shantung ties from David this year, in part because they come pre-snagged LOL

Those shantung ties look great on the site... thinking about grabbing a couple.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with the suggestions of dark blue/navy and burgundy if you only can have two. I have one sky blue included in the links below because I have that tie. I would call it slate more than sky blue and I love it with my navy suit and grey suits. That would be my third choice after dark blue and burgundy.

blues

burgundys

I have this tie (yours above) and it's spectacular!

Moose22

Reaction score
I have this tie (yours above) and it's spectacular!

The color and pattern are as classic as you can get. The Navy with white or sky pindots as well.

What's the silk like? There's a note that it wrinkles easily. Is it an issue in real life? Or just hang it after you wear it like any other tie and you're good? For some reason I haven't gotten a sample of those.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The color and pattern are as classic as you can get. The Navy with white or sky pindots as well.

What's the silk like? There's a note that it wrinkles easily. Is it an issue in real life? Or just hang it after you wear it like any other tie and you're good? For some reason I haven't gotten a sample of those.

It's my first (only) Hober tie! I need to get more... One of the best patterns you can wear, I agree. Where is the navy one?

It's funny, I don't remember that note on there about wrinkling when I ordered it. The silk (and wool lining) feel very substantial and well made. I actually haven't worn it yet as I am between jobs, so I can't tell you with any certainty that it'll wrinkle. Given how substantial it is, I would be surprised if major wrinkling was really an issue. When feeling the weight and lining I believe any wrinkles just naturally come right out.

Moose22

Reaction score
It's my first (only) Hober tie! I need to get more... One of the best patterns you can wear, I agree. Where is the navy one?

And all the SH ties I have seem to be rather substantial. It's sort of David's style. Mine all hold a knot perfectly. I suppose even if it is a silk that might hold a wrinkle it's no big deal as I never treat my ties in any way that would cause them to crease. At least not anywhere but the knot. I just found that note about the crispness of the silk interesting.

Gonna get a friend a tie for christmas, maybe I'll order a fabric sample then to see for myself.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

And all the SH ties I have seem to be rather substantial. It's sort of David's style. Mine all hold a knot perfectly. I suppose even if it is a silk that might hold a wrinkle it's no big deal as I never treat my ties in any way that would cause them to crease. At least not anywhere but the knot. I just found that note about the crispness of the silk interesting.

Gonna get a friend a tie for christmas, maybe I'll order a fabric sample then to see for myself.

The tie I have is very impressive. I will have to order more sometime soon. I find the note interesting, too!

I would think the only place to wrinkle is the knot because I don't beat up my ties either.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
44A16B45-0870-4EA1-8CDD-15D0C6C960E4.jpeg

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Freestyle77

Reaction score
Fist time Hober buyer here. I am curious where you specify the width of the tie. I could not see a place to select it or put it in a note.

unprocessed

Reaction score
Fist time Hober buyer here. I am curious where you specify the width of the tie. I could not see a place to select it or put it in a note.
You put the width, length and your preferred knot in the notes section during checkout.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly, any questions, just shoot David an email. Extremely helpful/responsiveness. He'll baby you through the process no matter how nominal the purchase total...I speak from experience on that front lol.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads