• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

unprocessed

Reaction score
If anyone is debating whether to place an order from Sam Hober, just do it. My first order was last December, and I keep going back to Hober after trying some other excellent brands. I’ve sold a few of the ties I bought because they didn’t turn out to be a match for me, but the quality of every tie is consistently impeccable. David’s customer service is also outstanding. It’s also amazing how quick their turnaround is, including pretty cheap DHL express shipping.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That shirt and tie combo is spectacular. It looks like a light blue striped shirt, correct?

What brand is the shirt? It's not a button down is it?

Looks like it's a vintage oxford type cloth; I really dig it.

SJR3

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
That shirt and tie combo is spectacular. It looks like a light blue striped shirt, correct?

What brand is the shirt? It's not a button down is it?

Looks like it's a vintage oxford type cloth; I really dig it.

Personally, I don't like that shirt/tie combo. The scale of the pattern of the tie and of the stripes of the shirt is nearly identical. The spacing between the stripes on the shirt, and the motifs on the tie, is virtually the same, and it creates a busy look, almost headache-inducing effect. This is precisely why one of the "rules" of shirt/tie pairing is to make sure to vary the scales if both are patterned. You need contrast not only in color between tie and shirt, but also in pattern scale.

In my opinion, a tie like the one in the photo should really only be worn with a solid shirt. The pattern of the tie is so busy, complex, and tiny, that a solid background is best here.

Also, if that's a button down collar, it's the worst one I've ever seen. I doubt it's BD.

Looking at the enlarged image, I see no hint of oxford weave texture in that cloth whatsoever. Looks like poplin or broadcloth.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally, I don't like that shirt/tie combo. The scale of the pattern of the tie and of the stripes of the shirt is nearly identical. The spacing between the stripes on the shirt, and the motifs on the tie, is virtually the same, and it creates a busy look, almost headache-inducing effect. This is precisely why one of the "rules" of shirt/tie pairing is to make sure to vary the scales if both are patterned. You need contrast not only in color between tie and shirt, but also in pattern scale.

In my opinion, a tie like the one in the photo should really only be worn with a solid shirt. The pattern of the tie is so busy, complex, and tiny, that a solid background is best here.

Also, if that's a button down collar, it's the worst one I've ever seen. I doubt it's BD.

Looking at the enlarged image, I see no hint of oxford weave texture in that cloth whatsoever. Looks like poplin or broadcloth.

Tell me how you really feel! ;)

I think the stripes work with it only because it's a thicker striped shirt and not a pencil stripe. It toes the line of being too busy, although I would have to see in person to completely determine.

Upon further inspection of the large photo, I agree that it's not BD and the oxford texture I saw yesterday clearly isn't there. Either way, I like the shirt no matter the fabric.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very, very nice. I've heard of them before!

Seems hard to shop when everything is in Japanese :)

They have a US Presence and English website:

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They have a US Presence and English website:

Thanks!

There we go. I have heard great things about their button down collars. Some serious roll, I believe. Maybe I need to check out their stores... ;)

Reaction score
Thanks!

There we go. I have heard great things about their button down collars. Some serious roll, I believe. Maybe I need to check out their stores... ;)
I have a couple of their button downs and can vouch for the collar roll (and overall fit).

IMG_1312.jpg

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

shackletonian

Reaction score
I just got my first Sam Hober tie and it looks beautiful. Though, near the tip, it feels and sounds like there is some paper or cardboard inside (an otherwise unlined tie). Is this a common feature or an anomaly? I’ve never experienced that in a tie before.

Moose22

Reaction score
That sounds odd. I have one unlined, and it's all silk. Same for my non SH brand ties.

Have you asked David? Send them an email, he'll respond right away. Super helpful.

SJR3

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I just got my first Sam Hober tie and it looks beautiful. Though, near the tip, it feels and sounds like there is some paper or cardboard inside (an otherwise unlined tie). Is this a common feature or an anomaly? I’ve never experienced that in a tie before.

Any update on this? I've ordered dozens of Hober ties and what you describe is definitely an anomaly. I'm rather curious about what's going on with your tie.

Did some of the tissue paper or cardboard packaging that the tie comes wrapped in somehow get inside the tie itself? I don't see how that could happen, but it's just a thought. Also, is the tie tipped or untipped?

shackletonian

Reaction score
It was a fairly easy thing. The cutter’s instructions and order details were actually left in the tie - so there was a bit of paper. My better half was able to get it out. David was very pleasant to deal with and exceptionally responsive. The tie is really lovely and ties a terrific knot. I’ve already ordered another!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads