• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Man, that picture and tie take me back. It’s the old SF Club tie everyone had back in 2012 or 2013, before patterned grenadines got super popular. I think that was the second or third Hober I ever bought.

Anyway, it’s my picture, and it’s all good if you want to use it. I’m ashamed of having owned that suit though.

Reaction score
That does seem rather odd, especially considering the picture itself is hardly a great indicator of the either tie or its construction quality.

It's the standard Hober construction. I'd be more than happy to provide more info/photos if you are interested.

Man, that picture and tie take me back. It’s the old SF Club tie everyone had back in 2012 or 2013, before patterned grenadines got super popular. I think that was the second or third Hober I ever bought.

Anyway, it’s my picture, and it’s all good if you want to use it. I’m ashamed of having owned that suit though.

Thanks a lot, Alex! I like the tie a lot actually but my preference has changed and I now favour wider ties, so this guy has been sitting in the closet for a while.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's the standard Hober construction. I'd be more than happy to provide more info/photos if you are interested.

Thanks a lot, Alex! I like the tie a lot actually but my preference has changed and I now favour wider ties, so this guy has been sitting in the closet for a while.
Nah, not for me. Too slim, and not my style. Best of luck moving it though.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't want to bother David as I'm not looking to place an immediate order, but does he tend to have default options on interlining (thin, normal, heavy, etc.)? I love this tie's design, but it is such a beast to tie and keep knotted. I didn't make any specific requests on it, and opted to let David do his thing, but I'm curious if I might have more luck with a less beefy interlining.

6AEFF7D4-ED48-4F49-A8AF-0F585AB10EC4.jpeg

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't want to bother David as I'm not looking to place an immediate order, but does he tend to have default options on interlining (thin, normal, heavy, etc.)? I love this tie's design, but it is such a beast to tie and keep knotted. I didn't make any specific requests on it, and opted to let David do his thing, but I'm curious if I might have more luck with a less beefy interlining.

View attachment 1131160

I have that tie as a 6-fold lined and it IS a beast!

All you have to do it tell David what you want and you’ll get it. It’s easy. I’m this case, with a heavy silk, ask for a lower number of folds and/or a lighter lining.

unprocessed

Reaction score

View attachment 1131160

Very nice tie. Which one is it? Did you go with 4 or 6 fold?

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have that tie as a 6-fold lined and it IS a beast!

All you have to do it tell David what you want and you’ll get it. It’s easy. I’m this case, with a heavy silk, ask for a lower number of folds and/or a lighter lining.
It absolutely is. Devil of a tie getting a proper knot with it. It probably doesn't help that I went with 3.75" over my usual 3.5"

Very nice tie. Which one is it? Did you go with 4 or 6 fold?
This is a lined 6-fold, and the link is below...it really is a great one.
https://www.samhober.com/uk-university-silk-ties/trinity-college-oxford-stripe-silk-tie-13.html

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can also send a tie back to David to be re-made. International shipping is always $$$ but the service is quite reasonable.

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can also send a tie back to David to be re-made. International shipping is always $$$ but the service is quite reasonable.

Innnnteresting. Have you had it done with much success? What was the charge for the actual service? I have a few ties that I'd like reshaped (not the company's fault, I just specified length and width at widest point and while that was all totally accurate it is a bit narrower below the knot than I would have liked).

DCTieGuy

Reaction score
Innnnteresting. Have you had it done with much success? What was the charge for the actual service? I have a few ties that I'd like reshaped (not the company's fault, I just specified length and width at widest point and while that was all totally accurate it is a bit narrower below the knot than I would have liked).

If you want the tie to be wider at and below the knot, be sure to tell David that you want a ‘substantial’ knot and he’ll make the appropriate adjustments.

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I did it a couple of years ago, I think it was $35 per tie. You should be able to find it on the site under the services offered. IIRC, I sent in the tie or ties so that they could be shipped back with a new order. It probably doesn't need to be said, but I'd email David in advance to talk about what you want changed.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Worth consideration. Not surprisingly, David quickly reached out and, in so many words, told me to harass him with the boring logistical questions of nuance. Excellent service, though, once again, hardly a surprise for experienced Hober-ites.

coachcaseyd

Reaction score
Hey gents, I'm looking for some input. I have a grenadize grossa navy from Kent Wang. I just got a Burgundy grenadine fina from Hober and I absolutely love it. I'm looking to add a dark brown and forest green solid tie from Hober to round out my solid collection and I'd like to continue testing out new weaves. With grossa and fina already covered, which weaves would you recommend for my upcoming brown and green, assuming they would be worn with typical business suits? I was thinking something along repp, twill, and oxford.

unprocessed

Reaction score
Hey gents, I'm looking for some input. I have a grenadize grossa navy from Kent Wang. I just got a Burgundy grenadine fina from Hober and I absolutely love it. I'm looking to add a dark brown and forest green solid tie from Hober to round out my solid collection and I'd like to continue testing out new weaves. With grossa and fina already covered, which weaves would you recommend for my upcoming brown and green, assuming they would be worn with typical business suits? I was thinking something along repp, twill, and oxford.

Can’t speak for the repp and twill, but I always get a lot of compliments when I wear my oxfords, which are subtle color shifters depending on the light and have a nice texture to them. I have the burgundy, which is a really dark and deep burgundy, and the yellow gold, which is also a darker yellow/gold. I also really like the rose pink and sky blue oxford swatches I have.

Highly recommend you order swatches, especially since the same color for different grenadine types are actually different shades.

unprocessed

Reaction score
Latest order: purple and black fina and sage fina.

I love the sage - it’s definitely less green than the olive grenadines, hard to explain. Seems to have a bit of bronze and brown to it. Looks like it’s a perfect pairing for navy and blue suits and also versatile enough for a charcoal suit.

I saw a bunch of older posts praising the purple and black grenadine and it is indeed nice, looks like a true darker purple or more a magenta color depending on the light.

0394E026-D438-441D-9EA8-AA80116F45C7.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads