• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
Could some people who have ordered bespoke, comment on why they did so and what measurements they gave ? I am thinking of ordering a couple, and was thunking of only supplying the length and width.

I wou go staight to the source and E-mail David. You need to supply how wide you'd like the tie, but he'll help out with figuring out the right length. He'll ask you how tall you are, what knot you plan on tying the tie with, etc. Being able to customize the length was the reason I first tried Sam Hober ties. I'm on the short side and tying four-in-hands with most ties was a hassle... I'm now spoiled by Hober's bespokes.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My current Hobers:

Yellow/Gold Dots on Burgundy Pin-Dot
Closeup-90.jpg

Forest Green Cashmere Black Warp
Closeup-82.jpg

Dark Blue Grenadine #13
Closeup-61.jpg

Bitter Chocolate Grenadine #6:
Closeup-52.jpg

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Getzione
This thread is long due. David is truly a gentleman, and his products speak for themself.

Crosspost from the Soporific Tie Appreciation thread;

jWjsE.jpg

f8PsS.jpg

my fave hober post yet. price? David?

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Getzione
I order mine with a specified width at 3 or 4(cant remember which) places along the blade and a longer length. The bespoke also allows you to choose the construction of the tie.

details on the tie (exact measurements/bespoke request, etc), more photos please, and do you have any others by Hober? This is great looking!

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fred H.
My first two Hober "Grenadine Garza Fina Solid Ties" came yesterday. (One is the first blue from left in Bill's photo.) The other is a sage green to match a jacket that I'm wearing today. I am EXTREMELY pleased with these two ties. I ordered them in 59" length and with a 3.25" width. They are perfectly made and tie a spectacular knot. I'm planning on placing a two tie order with David every other month.

SF_05-24-2.jpg

SF_05-24-1.jpg

BIG HINT: Order the fabric swatches in advance. Wish I had done that since the green I REALLY wanted turned out to be the Olive (a tad brighter). Oh well!

Dark Blue:
Grenadine-necktie-GFT13m.jpg

Sage Green:
Grenadine-necktie-GFT18m.jpg

what is the swatch ordering process? thanks!

OyezDC

Reaction score
David's ties and service are simply wonderful, and he is an absolute gentleman. I can't wait for more photos in this thread and will try to post my own.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Lets not neglect all the info he posts on the fora

nhannon

Reaction score
David is a pleasure to deal with. I have my first Sam Hober tie on it's way right now (a lined 6-fold brown pin-dot macclesfield). I'll post a photo when it arrives.

That Bitter Chocolate Grenadine is sharp looking.

IronRock

Reaction score
Another massive thumbs up to David. Proper gent, even called me to tell me order had been placed, and again when it was dispatched (same time zone-ish).

Highly recommended.

TheCav

Reaction score
Also for me first order, 2 grenadine garza grossa (dark brown and royal blue)...one month wait!

Matt S

Reaction score
Here's another suggestion to always get swatches. Swatches were a tremendous help when I got my midnight blue garza grossa tie. I got swatches of black, midnight blue, dark navy and navy to see which of the three navies I wanted. I got the black for comparison. Get swatches of the colour you think you want and swatches of a few similar ones. It will extend the wait time the amount of time it takes to get the swatches, but it helps so much to know what you are getting. Also consider ordering swatches if you want something different for tipping. I tipped my midnight blue tie in dark blue shot Thai silk and it looks beautiful. Though I didn't order a swatch and the shot silk tipping was a last-minute decision, I'd recommend you have a tipping swatch to compare up against the actual fabric. David Hober has so many wonderful silks that a unique tipping can really make your tie special. The only thing I'd avoid in tipping is another competing, woven texture (unless it's the same texture as the tie). I wish I was able to afford more ties from David, because no other ties are as perfect as his!

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Paisley madders by Hober:

KU8rDm.jpg

these are THE paisley ties - the colours and fabrics are deep and rich

PITAronin

Reaction score
In that vein (though it's not really the season, at least in this hemisphere) don't forget the paisley madder scarves. Absolutely stunning, though, to be mildly critical, they'd be even better with fringe - a situation that may have changed or may at least be an option since the time that I acquired my 'naked' version a year or so ago.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics