• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

RozenKristal

Reaction score
Was sending David emails back and forth, urg, I am indecisive on going with tipped or untipped for grenadine. For darker colors and prometeo weave, I think the see-through is less of a problem. New to the tie world so I am hesitant on stuff like this.

Last edited:

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was sending David emails back and forth, urg, I am indecisive on going with tipped or untipped for grenadine. For darker colors and prometeo weave, I think the see-through is less of a problem. New to the tie world so I am hesitant on stuff like this.

Buy just a couple to start. I had to find the length and width I wanted. I went a little narrower after about a half dozen ties and even went an inch shorter because I started buying higher waisted trousers. Not sure if I can fit into those anymore due to my pandemic weight gain, so when I finally return to the office I may need longer ties again. Or, you can just buy one of each. Either way works.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dark gold linen tie today
675BBDD4-5172-4BC4-BDA9-ACB0E4A20B39.jpeg

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For darker colors and prometeo weave, I think the see-through is less of a problem.
Maybe just word choice, but if you think untipped may be a problem at all, why bother? Go with tipped.

I have them both tipped and untipped, but prefer tipped, which I feel like I can wear with anything, a biz suit or a jacket.
Untipped, I associate with more casual jackets (not suits) and with warm weather and lighter colors. But thats just me. So depends on your needs. At the end of the day, its just a slightly different look

RozenKristal

Reaction score
Maybe just word choice, but if you think untipped may be a problem at all, why bother? Go with tipped.

I have them both tipped and untipped, but prefer tipped, which I feel like I can wear with anything, a biz suit or a jacket.
Untipped, I associate with more casual jackets (not suits) and with warm weather and lighter colors. But thats just me. So depends on your needs. At the end of the day, its just a slightly different look

Definitely a word choice issue on my part. I like them look untipped, but would want to wear them with suit as well. I prob gonna have 2 or 3 ties and that about it so was wondering what people think before taking the plunge

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like the bitter chocolate.

Does anyone have thoughts on this vs plain chocolate vs burgundy grenadine with navy or charcoal suits?

So sorry for the delay! Been out with my newborn.

I think both would be excellent candidates!! I would pick the burgundy (need to get one first) over chocolate as more versatile/formal. However, if you want 2 grenadines to go with suits, I think BOTH are perfect for that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads