• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

Verve

Reaction score
My 1st tie order earlier this year was about foundations.

I placed a 2nd order of 5 ties, 1 PS, and 12 swatches last weekend. The purpose of the ties is conservative business, and the theme is shades of blue. One tie will be my first 6 fold construction with untipped hand rolled edges.

Obviously, a 3rd order will be in the works with all those swatches, and the purpose will be casual (like a shantung, linen, etc.) and elegance (like an Oxford or Mulberrywood).

Fun journey indeed.

Verve

Reaction score
I really like the bitter chocolate.

Does anyone have thoughts on this vs plain chocolate vs burgundy grenadine with navy or charcoal suits?
I agree with every perspective/opinion Scurvy has about the bitter chocolate and everything else he posted, but I will reach for bitter chocolate with navy suits also. With charcoal suits, that seems interesting. I’ll have to reach for my bitter chocolate prometeo next time I wear one of my charcoal suits & see if I like it.

Here’s the bitter chocolate with navy vest pic if it helps you. It was too hot here to bring the jacket to work last Monday. I’ll have to pull the phone back next time to give you a better look at the suit with tie combo… sorry, didn’t see your question when I put this outfit on, Bavo.
03333D10-BCDE-4C7C-AFA4-052FF2CEE7A9.jpeg

Last edited:

Bavo

Reaction score
I agree with every perspective/opinion Scurvy has about the bitter chocolate and everything else he posted, but I will reach for bitter chocolate with navy suits also. With charcoal suits, that seems interesting. I’ll have to reach for my bitter chocolate prometeo next time I wear one of my charcoal suits & see if I like it.

Here’s the bitter chocolate with navy vest pic if it helps you. It was too hot here to bring the jacket to work last Monday. I’ll have to pull the phone back next time to give you a better look at the suit with tie combo… sorry, didn’t see your question when I put this outfit on, Bavo.
View attachment 1669261
Thank you! I think that looks like a great color combo.

41L35W

Reaction score
I would appreciate any advice on what color tie would work with this sport coat that I absolutely love but for which NONE of my many ties work. The pictures do not quite capture the richness of the dark brown. I assume a single-color tie would work best?
C005688D-4B70-4BA7-AAAB-172E2C5D6BBE.jpeg
42441640-475C-45FB-B249-6EEEC3F48E84.jpeg

DCTieGuy

Reaction score

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would appreciate any advice on what color tie would work with this sport coat that I absolutely love but for which NONE of my many ties work. The pictures do not quite capture the richness of the dark brown. I assume a single-color tie would work best?
View attachment 1669890 View attachment 1669891
Burgundy solid or navy solid should work with a brown check jacket

Verve

Reaction score
That’s a great looking jacket! I am getting another suit in dark brown later this year, giving me 3 shades of brown suits total. Can you tell I love brown?

Solid ties would be easiest to wear since you already have a patterned jacket, but any neat ties with the patterned portion of ties holding similar shades of brown of the jacket would also be adventurous. Color wise, my shades of brown ties work great with navy and grey suits, so the opposite will hold true here. I’m also thinking of other shades of blue will work: light, slate, & midnight. Fall colors, rust, & burgundy will all work as well.

Lastly, I also like monochromatic looks too. Any solid tie that resembles the off-white, sand, or khaki part of jacket (I can’t tell from your pics what color it is) will look nice, IMO.

You have lots of color options.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is that a Samuel Parker hanger??

On to Ties:
Black Grenadine (or black knit, but you're not going to get that from Hober)
Second rec for shades of blue (navy, midnight)
Second rec for fall colors; rust or burgundy.
Maybe try Tone on tone, going with bitter choc or other shade or dark brown

41L35W

Reaction score
Is that a Samuel Parker hanger??

On to Ties:
Black Grenadine (or black knit, but you're not going to get that from Hober)
Second rec for shades of blue (navy, midnight)
Second rec for fall colors; rust or burgundy.
Maybe try Tone on tone, going with bitter choc or other shade or dark brown
That indeed is a Samuel Parker hanger and a Samuel Parker jacket! I do miss the store.

Thanks to everyone for some great suggestions!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads