• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. So exactly how does it differ from the standard makeup? Rolled rather than folded?
Right. And nothing behind the tie at the tip. No lining no additional fabric (another piece of the same fabric used on the front of the tie (“self tipped”) is common

Bavo

Reaction score
Right. And nothing behind the tie at the tip. No lining no additional fabric (another piece of the same fabric used on the front of the tie (“self tipped”) is common

(flipping my tie over to see the difference with the hand-rolling): I like it! Thanks for posting the pics. I had wondered about about hand-rolling. I like the Hober self-tipped much more than the usual tipping on ties, but I have never done the untipped.

I keep telling myself that I am not going to buy new ties. But this thread is making me want to go and get a new bunch of Hobers. I can rationalize that I will at least donate some of my older ones that I no longer wear much when the new ones arrive.

Encathol Epistemia

Reaction score
I keep telling myself that I am not going to buy new ties. But this thread is making me want to go and get a new bunch of Hobers. I can rationalize that I will at least donate some of my older ones that I no longer wear much when the new ones arrive.

It is irresistible, isn't it? I just more or less wiped their stock of striped sangdao silks out ordering a set of neckties that I intend to wear when my organization returns to the office. (We got an informal indication that this would be sometime in may, which was later clarified to not apply to most employees, but not before I had already ordered the neckties) It does not help that I seem to be developing an inordinate fondness for pocket squares and usually keen to have another bowtie or two for my collection.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. So exactly how does it differ from the standard makeup? Rolled rather than folded?

I think "standard" construction for Hober ties is self tipped.

Generally there are three types of finishing on the tips of a tie,

1) Decorative tipping (a complementary color of fabric used to tip the tie, similar to the lining of suit jacket/sport coat) https://www.ties.com/blog/tie-anatomy#:~:text=A self-tipped tie is,the rest of the tie.
2) Self tipped, tipped using the same fabric as the tie

3) Untipped/handrolled (one choice, two words) As depicted in @James1051 pic

Some good pics here: https://therake.com/stories/style/the-anatomy-of-the-tie/

Bavo

Reaction score
It is irresistible, isn't it? I just more or less wiped their stock of striped sangdao silks out ordering a set of neckties that I intend to wear when my organization returns to the office. (We got an informal indication that this would be sometime in may, which was later clarified to not apply to most employees, but not before I had already ordered the neckties) It does not help that I seem to be developing an inordinate fondness for pocket squares and usually keen to have another bowtie or two for my collection.

I know very little about silk shantungs and these sangados, but I really like the way they look. The different fabric selections at Hober are amazing. I was initially drawn by their having materials that I am always looking for (ancient madder, wool challis, Irish poplin) which have become much harder to find in general and when found are often priced at a significant premium elsewhere.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Great, thanks for explaining. So it's a bit thinner at the tip?

I think "standard" construction for Hober ties is self tipped.

Generally there are three types of finishing on the tips of a tie,

1) Decorative tipping (a complementary color of fabric used to tip the tie, similar to the lining of suit jacket/sport coat) https://www.ties.com/blog/tie-anatomy#:~:text=A self-tipped tie is,the rest of the tie.
2) Self tipped, tipped using the same fabric as the tie

3) Untipped/handrolled (one choice, two words) As depicted in @James1051 pic

Some good pics here: https://therake.com/stories/style/the-anatomy-of-the-tie/

Yes, self tipped is standard.

Awesome links, thanks for sending I will check those out!

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another new one. My first cashmere and silk.

PXL_20210421_133434416.jpg

PXL_20210421_132856165.jpg
PXL_20210421_132900674.jpg

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saddle up for Friday!

PXL_20210422_143419530.jpg

PXL_20210422_142508888.jpg
PXL_20210422_142522982.jpg

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Late Friday post

PXL_20210423_134009294.jpg

PXL_20210423_133331494.jpg
PXL_20210423_133335122.jpg

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whiskey and a new Hober are always a good way to kick off the week.

PXL_20210426_134139105.jpg

PXL_20210426_133506897.jpg
PXL_20210426_133512973.jpg

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads