• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

coachcaseyd

Reaction score
I went to the University of Arizona and am looking to get a Hober stripe as a tribute. I’m interested in opinions from the group on which one you would go with.

School logo for reference:
1588900935489.jpeg

Here are the ones I caught with my eye that I’m debating on:

1 and 4 seem pretty similar to me. I love the uneven stripe design on #2 but am also drawn to the big block of #3. If you were me picking a school tie, which would you choose?

stro

Reaction score
all look good to me. i find myself drawn to bigger blocks these days. i especially like them with a bit more texture. grenadine and shantung make great big block stripe ties, but neither of those fabrics really makes an *alumni* stripe tie. so i might be leaning #3.

my first hober was the university of virginia tie, which to my eye is perfect for this purpose. i am also grateful that there was one labeled UVA because that helped me dodge my usual analysis paralysis.

i think someone around here has a bitchin' bright red sportcoat with a university patch (louisville? caustic man? not sure). the 1990s arizona wildcat face logo would look great on such a commission....

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to the University of Arizona and am looking to get a Hober stripe as a tribute. I’m interested in opinions from the group on which one you would go with.

School logo for reference:

Here are the ones I caught with my eye that I’m debating on:

1 and 4 seem pretty similar to me. I love the uneven stripe design on #2 but am also drawn to the big block of #3. If you were me picking a school tie, which would you choose?
I’d go 2. If I were you, I’d look for something with at least a splash of white. I think I’ve always considered UA’s primary colors blue and white, with red being tertiary.
All ties referenced look awesome, but none feel like “proper” school colors to me.

unprocessed

Reaction score
Anyone know if the DHL price increases are just temporary? It's a pretty big increase and makes swatches cost prohibitive as a stand-alone.

coachcaseyd

Reaction score
I’d go 2. If I were you, I’d look for something with at least a splash of white. I think I’ve always considered UA’s primary colors blue and white, with red being tertiary.
All ties referenced look awesome, but none feel like “proper” school colors to me.

I agree some white would be ideal, though I will say the fight song says “bear down red and blue,” with no mention of white... Being located in AZ here, anyone would catch my reference with any of the original 4.

I couldn’t quite find one with white other than the one from stro’s post.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if the DHL price increases are just temporary? It's a pretty big increase and makes swatches cost prohibitive as a stand-alone.
Yeah, $10 flat --> $22 flat. I wondered the same thing and am hoping it is just temporary/covid related. This certainly encourages ordering more than one tie per order, and I would think makes ordering swatches alone too expensive. Why not order a tie and add your swatches to the order; so they ride along with the tie for free? I buy swatches with every tie order.

On the subject of swatches, I have to say, ordering lots of swatches I have come to the conclusion that the photographs on David's website are, as a group, very reliable in terms of accurate representation of the colors in the swatches. Still, good to have the swatches, enables you to lay the tie fabric on or next to the shirts and jackets you have in mind for your tie.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree some white would be ideal, though I will say the fight song says “bear down red and blue,” with no mention of white... Being located in AZ here, anyone would catch my reference with any of the original 4.

I couldn’t quite find one with white other than the one from stro’s post.

These could be ones to consider.

Of the options, I think 4 (if you could get the yellow gold swapped for white) would be my choice. Obviously, that is of little help lol, BUT David has been known to take forum feedback regarding tie designs. I know he has for me, and I'm hardly cool enough to qualify for special treatment. Of course, that removes the possibility of acquiring the tie immediately, but could be something to consider, if that prospective design speaks to you.
Yeah, $10 flat --> $22 flat. I wondered the same thing and am hoping it is just temporary/covid related. This certainly encourages ordering more than one tie per order, and I would think makes ordering swatches alone too expensive. Why not order a tie and add your swatches to the order; so they ride along with the tie for free? I buy swatches with every tie order.

On the subject of swatches, I have to say, ordering lots of swatches I have come to the conclusion that the photographs on David's website are, as a group, very reliable in terms of accurate representation of the colors in the swatches. Still, good to have the swatches, enables you to lay the tie fabric on or next to the shirts and jackets you have in mind for your tie.
So current shipping is up to $22? Obviously not ideal, but, all things considered, still tolerable, given the quality and turnaround time...and the fact that it's traversing the globe. I'd love there to be a minimum threshold (say, $400 or thereabouts, perhaps) to qualify for free shipping, but that's just my inner cheapskate coming to the fore.

Either way, wouldn't in any way dissuade me from purchasing Hobers. I've been putting off my next purchase for far too long...probably ought to amend that.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of Hobers. From my first purchase. Tie (and subsequent knot) is probably a tad beefier than I’d prefer, but that’s entirely due to my requesting a tie slightly wider than what I’ve come to prefer as my usual. My failings aside, it’s a tremendous tie.
C51D4B91-C921-4AB7-9A8C-7BF05B0AA17A.jpeg

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of Hobers. From my first purchase. Tie (and subsequent knot) is probably a tad beefier than I’d prefer, but that’s entirely due to my requesting a tie slightly wider than what I’ve come to prefer as my usual. My failings aside, it’s a tremendous tie. View attachment 1385100
Nice tie
What width do you prefer ideally? I've been ordering 9cm, except in grenadine (knot gets big) where I like 8.5cm

coachcaseyd

Reaction score
These could be ones to consider.

Of the options, I think 4 (if you could get the yellow gold swapped for white) would be my choice. Obviously, that is of little help lol, BUT David has been known to take forum feedback regarding tie designs. I know he has for me, and I'm hardly cool enough to qualify for special treatment. Of course, that removes the possibility of acquiring the tie immediately, but could be something to consider, if that prospective design speaks to you.

Wow thank you for going through the site and finding those. I think the first one you posted is the winner (Pangbournian)

Last edited:

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice tie
What width do you prefer ideally? I've been ordering 9cm, except in grenadine (knot gets big) where I like 8.5cm
Thanks. This is 3.75", so ~9.5cm. I've found 9cm to be my sweet spot. Beefy enough to be substantial, but not so much that if I tie a screwy knot (back blade misaligned, etc.) it visually swallows up my front half.
Wow thank you for going through the site and finding those. I think the first one you posted is the winner (Pangbournian)
Cheers. Enjoy it. Looks like a winner.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like that tie's wave-weave. Tried the tie with a shirt in cream, ecru, yellow, or pink? Should go well, especially with pink like that pink oxford you showed above.

Thanks, it's a gorgeous tie! I never noticed the weave before, but it's unique.

Funny, the camera didn't pick it up well but it's actually an eccru color. If you look closely, it looks like a yellowed white (on my screen) due to the light, but it's actually eccru!

Speaking of Hobers. From my first purchase. Tie (and subsequent knot) is probably a tad beefier than I’d prefer, but that’s entirely due to my requesting a tie slightly wider than what I’ve come to prefer as my usual. My failings aside, it’s a tremendous tie. View attachment 1385100

I think that knot looks awesome. Don't let that get you down about the tie!

Nice tie

3.5'' is a classic width. Due to my height, David suggested I go with 3.75'' (classic, larger becomes goofy) and I absolutely love the slightly wider blade.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads