• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

coachcaseyd

Reaction score
I’m looking to purchase some patterned business ties in the middle of the dark/light spectrum.

I know all of the “essentials” lists stick to dark ties as the basics (black, navy, burgundy, brown, dark green), but I am looking for some things that would be lighter than my dark business suits, yet darker than white/light blue/light pink dress shirts. Basically, I want more contrast than dark suit, light shirt, dark tie.

Interested to hear from the group: what are your favorite Hober ties matching what I describe above?

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m looking to purchase some patterned business ties in the middle of the dark/light spectrum.

I know all of the “essentials” lists stick to dark ties as the basics (black, navy, burgundy, brown, dark green), but I am looking for some things that would be lighter than my dark business suits, yet darker than white/light blue/light pink dress shirts. Basically, I want more contrast than dark suit, light shirt, dark tie.

Interested to hear from the group: what are your favorite Hober ties matching what I describe above?

I have a light blue Macclesfield neat that I love wearing with suits, especially in the spring and summer. I don’t recall the model number, though.

winghus

Reaction score

I have this one, IMO it's fantastic:

I would say it's between sky blue and slate myself.

Spurious

Reaction score
Do you have a picture? It's one of those ties that I would have skipped, but could potentially be a gem.

coachcaseyd

Reaction score

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice long collars and a beautiful tie from David. Going to pull the trigger on a large order soon.

IMG_20200408_095849.jpg

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been patiently waiting for staple grendines to come back in stock - was initially told early February....here we are...

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been patiently waiting for staple grendines to come back in stock - was initially told early February....here we are...
hmm, what 'staple' grenadines are you referring to.
SH has a great many grenadines, a random sample of which appear to be in abundant stock

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hmm, what 'staple' grenadines are you referring to.
SH has a great many grenadines, a random sample of which appear to be in abundant stock

Midnight navy and burgundy grossa

DCTieGuy

Reaction score

I have a midnight navy and have to say it is way too dark and doesn’t look great with either my charcoal or light gray suits. Would suggest you go a touch lighter with a navy blue instead.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
looks like they have stock of the prometeo grenadines in those colors.
Have you tried a prometeo? its very nice and visually similar to GG

As for the GG, that fabric almost certainly comes out of Como, and there have been issues in northern Italy as you've heard.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This work from home period really has me missing wearing ties.

Haven't missed a day at work due to this stuff, luckily... David's ties are on another level. When I step into the ring (office) wearing one, I feel like I'm the CEO for the day. :bigstar:

SS 376

Reaction score
I have a midnight navy and have to say it is way too dark and doesn’t look great with either my charcoal or light gray suits. Would suggest you go a touch lighter with a navy blue instead.

Respectfully disagree. I have the midnight navy as well and think it goes nicely with mid-gray and charcoal. It's dark for sure though. If you need to go a step lighter, soft navy might work. I've also had dark blue, which was a bit too light for me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads