A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by in stitches, May 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. dancingbear

dancingbear Senior member

Lots of big guys here.

I am 6'7". David recommended 66" in grenadine grossa. I insisted on 68" wanting to make sure it was long enough. It is borderline too long. 66" would have been better. But in the future I will stick with 68" for a non-grenadine tie where I want the option of four in hand or half-windsor. David also recommended 4" width and that is perfect.

Moral of the story is to ask David and trust his recommendations.

2. shalako

shalako Member

samhober.com appears to be down; hope it's temporary. Want another grenadine.

+1 for shantungs. Lust for Drake's but can't justify the price.

3. LeviMay

LeviMay Senior member

Truth; Mr. Hober knows his craft.

I'm 6'4" or so, and have an 18 1/2" neck, but wear all my suits with braces, meaning my pants are quite a bit higher than average. I get all my ties 59" long, and they work great. The skinny end is typically only a couple inches shorter than the wide end.

4. Velvet Gavel

Velvet Gavel Member

My current Hober lineup:

4-fold grenadine grossas in navy, coral, and purple (last two hand rolled, untipped)
    7-fold unlined satin in dark brown
    6-fold satin in forest green
    4 squares (Thai printed, Sangdao Plaid, Macclesfield Printed, and White Belgian Linen)

Will soon be adding a grenadine in black, the gold on burgundy pin dots, and a couple of squares. David's craftsmanship is excellent; his recommended lengths have been spot on, the construction is amazing, and for whatever reason the tie knot comes out perfect every time (it's certainly not the operator). But for all that, his customer service and courtesy are even better. Handwritten thank you notes accompany the purchase, along with guides to care for your tie/square.

Really a brilliant production all the way around and a treasure for this forum.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  5. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

6. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

7. mattcritchlow

mattcritchlow Well-Known Member

+2.

Also, if you all haven't seen the 7 fold tie video they just made: http://www.samhober.com/videos.html

Truly impressive.I now have an even greater appreciation for my Hober ties, despite them not being 7 folds, after seeing this.

8. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Senior member

Has anyone had the Macclesfield Silk #119 or #121 made up and if so, do you have a picture you'd like to share?

9. elstinnett

elstinnett Well-Known Member

The video totally sold me on adding a monogram to the keeper on my next tie! It was really cool seeing the process...even if I don't have seven fold from Hober.

10. Cuttingboard

Cuttingboard Senior member

Agree...love the video and the monogram on the keeper. Anyone know what tie they were making?

11. LynahFaithful

LynahFaithful Senior member

12. Vodking

Vodking Well-Known Member

My latest order, all 55 x 3.25 inch:

Lined four fold:
    Bitter chocolate grenadine prometeo
    Dark navy grenadine grossa (had to snap up the last length of this silk, sorry!)
    Black grenadine grossa

Lined six fold:
    Macclesfield madder silk #12
    [​IMG]

13. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

How tall/wide are you, may I ask? PM is fine.

Good choices, btw.

14. Vodking

Vodking Well-Known Member

A couple of people have PM'd be about this so I'll just respond here: I'm 5ft10, with 39 inch chest. I wear trousers on my natural waist and tie a four-in-hand with both blades the same length. I find my other grenadine (burgundy prometeo, 56.5 x 3 inch) slightly too long as it hits 0.5-1 inch below the waistband. 3 inch doesn't give much room for a dimple at the knotting point so this time I've specified widths at certain points (using my best fitting/dimpling tie as a guide) - hopefully the ties in this order will dimple well yet still look slim.

15. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

Interesting. I am at least an order of magnitude shorter and slimmer than you, and when I bespeak ties I get them at 141 or 142 cm. And 8.5cm or so. I prefer the more European approach to the length, with the widest part of the blade hitting the top of the waistband and the tip protruding below, however. Color me surprised. 55'' is by my reckoning definitely a short-man's length. You must wear your clothes slim or else like a very classically proportioned tie (i.e. pre 1950) that is visually compressed and sits above the waistline. Or else I am doing something wrong. I associate a tie that is bang-on with the waistband or higher with American trad conventions, but that is just me.