• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Just sent an email though the website for a custom bow.....fingers crossed it's something you can do
bigstar[1].gif

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
David: any progress on being able to make scarves with fringes?

Thanks.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That looks really nice David--let us know how the test tie turns out!

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That does look nice. I'd love to hear about the six other colours.

Al in Philly

Reaction score
My Hober wedding tie and square showed up at work today. I will post pics after I get home.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of grabbing a few of the Macclesfield print ties, but I did want some opinions on pairing these with pocket squares. Most of my squares are silk print, and I am wary of being too matchy. I don't plan on matching similar prints/colors, but I am curious, do these ties look like prints from a few feet away, or are they very much like woven ties?

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been purchasing ties from David for just over six years and I haven't purchased a tie from anyone else for over five. My collection is probably between 25 and 30 and I just ordered a few more (magenta grenadine grossa, navy grenadine grossa and green pin dots on burgundy). I don't think there's a better tie for the money (fabric quality and construction are excellent), the selection of fabrics is tremendous, I love being able to order custom features (even if my needs are pretty simple) and David has always been a true gentleman and great business owner. I hope to continue to be able to purchase ties from him for many years.

It's very nice to scroll through SF and see a thread like this recognizing a great tie maker and individual. Just wanted to add my note of appreciation as well.

Last edited:

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Bump. This tie makes me tingly.
Darn you. I thought I had finished ordering Hobers (for like 3 months). Oh well. At least ties are a less expensive addiction than I imagine watches would be.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
It's an amazing tie. I really hope he does something similar in burgundy soon.

elstinnett

Reaction score
My Hober wedding tie and square showed up at work today. I will post pics after I get home.

How long did shipping take for your package? I'm anxiously awaiting my first Hober order!
I am thinking of grabbing a few of the Macclesfield print ties, but I did want some opinions on pairing these with pocket squares. Most of my squares are silk print, and I am wary of being too matchy. I don't plan on matching similar prints/colors, but I am curious, do these ties look like prints from a few feet away, or are they very much like woven ties?

As soon as I receive my order, I'll let you know. I ordered a Macclesfield #98.

sprout2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They are nothing like woven ties. They look, as is desired, like printed silk -- flat. The same is true at a distance.

Al in Philly

Reaction score
Below are some average photos of the new ties I just got from David. One is bitter chocolate piccola and the other is the formal/wedding silk #1, which I will be wearing to my wedding. It will look amazing against my dark grey suit. Both are 7-fold, unlined, hand rolled edges. I could not be happier with the ties, especially the wedding silk. The photos do not do them justice, they look much better in person. At the bottom is a Carlo Riva linen pocket square that I will also wear to my wedding. That photo highlights how excellent the handrolled edges are. Truly remarkable!

Special thanks to Stitches, David and everyone else that gave me suggestions.

As an aside, an unlined grenadine has a much different feel than a lined one. It makes it almost a spring/summer tie. I think a 7-fold unlined grossa would be more substantial in terms of weight, given the open weave of the fabric.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads