1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by in stitches, May 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Senior member

+1. His house smells like rich mahogany. He has many leather-bound books. He ate the whole whell of cheese, and I'm not even mad.

2 people like this.
  2. Wallcloud

Wallcloud Senior member

If I had to choose a method of execution it would be to be hung from the neck by a Hober 7 fold tie until dead. I would request David to be the executioner as I amcertain he would walk me through the process in a very soothing and thorough manner.

2 people like this.
  3. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Senior member

Awesome post. :nodding: And I wholeheartedly agree with all the positive comments about David and his ties. He has been extremely helpful, patient, and gracious in my dealings with him and always quick to reply in our email correspondence. And of course his ties are incredible and a great value. I'm looking forward to my current order.

4. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

The Operation Iraqi Freedom tie is really great. Hopefully they will make one for my brothers who served in Afghanistan!

EDIT: They already do!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  5. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Senior member

6. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

[​IMG]

Grenadine Stripe Tie #3 (Powder Blue and Brown Stripes on Midnight Blue).

3 people like this.
  7. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

That is like the Official SF tie.

Looks good.

8. pinkpanther

pinkpanther Senior member

Yes! :slayer:

9. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Indeed. It is one of the most beautiful ties I own and probably my favorite (though not the most frequently worn)

The following members have posted that tie here:
    Jan 24, 2012 Skanstull
    Jan 14, 2013 - Claghorn
    March 13, 2013 - New Shoes
    April 8, 2013 Atoms
    April 10, Skynom
    April 23, ArchibaldLeach

I really, really hope that the new striped grenadine is going to be burgundy.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  10. aussiejake

aussiejake Senior member

I really hope there are multiple new striped grenadines. Including the SF favourite.

1 person likes this.
  11. Syeknom

Syeknom Senior member

When I ordered the SF favourite it was the last in stock. I mentioned its popularity to David and he said:

Quote: This was last month, March 17th.

12. pinkpanther

pinkpanther Senior member

Today's Hober is the slate blue grenadine grossa (6-fold construction).

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  13. PiCcolocV

PiCcolocV Senior member

Wow, just blew my mind that since I never wear ties this pattern, this would make a perfect square for me. Thanks!

14. GradSchooler

GradSchooler Senior member

I have this same tie in six fold as well. It is one of my best go-to ties. Works with everything and looks great doing it!

15. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Has anyone measured their grenadines and found the lengths to be different from what was requested? I've ordered several 57" grenadines and found that none of them measure 57". Most measure between 58" and 59". The ones from my latest order measure 56". I'm wondering if perhaps the shorter length was intentional because they will stretch.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  16. Slickman

Slickman Senior member

They stretch, but also this is a product of imperfections that are an inherent part of bespoke. That being said, always better to go a little shorter w/ grenadines, especially because they will stretch over time, even if they are cut at the exact length you requested from the beginning

17. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Senior member

Yeah, see reply 1811 of this thread. I inquired to David about my ties arriving about an inch shorter than specified, and he said that the ties are made to exact specifications but by some strange phenomenon, they tend to shrink in length slightly during shipping, but will stretch back out to the requisite length after a few wears. I have found this to be true. Grenadines may even stretch further due to the looser weave, as you seemed to experience. IMO, as long as the back blade is somewhere between 1 and 3 inches shorter than the front, you're golden.

18. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

A few weeks back David provided an unbelievably thorough answer to a question about the sizing and measurement of ties. Long story short, that level of variation is standard. Long story long...well...it's like 12 paragraphs about measuring ties. Worth the read if you can find it.

Edit: I guess Flyswatter was the one asking ^_^

1 person likes this.
  19. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Thanks Slickman, Flyswatter, and Claghorn. I figured this was the case. I don't mind the variation either.

1 person likes this.
  20. stratfordwill

stratfordwill Member

Just placed an order for a Forest Green Madder Twill Solid, as well as some pocket squares and swatches.

As a reminder I've been pinning all the photos that you guys have been posting on this thread to Pinterest. It looks great when you see all of those beautiful pictures together. A few of those pictures picked up quite a few repins, especially this one from Claghorn.

I've also created boards for the large tie images from the Hober website.

(If you're a pinterest user, repinning those images makes them show up more to the general public. Just a thought.)

1 person likes this.