• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Congrats.
Just placed the order for my wedding tie gentlemen. I went with the wedding/formal silk #1. I also got myself a Carlo Riva white line/cotton square for the wedding. it took me a while to order the tie as I got swatches and made the decision with my fiance.

To celebrate the occasion, I ordered a bitter chocolate piccola for myself. Both ties I ordered as 7-fold, untipped, hand rolled edges.

Needless to say I'm excited.

Thanks to everyone for all the help. I will post photos when they arrive!

bullethead

Reaction score

SilverFox,

I don't remember exactly how cold Denver was in the Christmas blizzard of 2006 but I can tell you that the Denver international airport was closed for two days and all of Denver was basically closed - with the wind factor it was quite cold.

But Noi and I dressed very warmly and went out for a walk I had a double layer Thai silk scarf with a tubular construction no fringes (we do not use fringes currently) folded around my neck. I was completely warm.
Normally we use light Thai silks and layer them - sometimes heavier printed Macclesfield twill silks and we sometimes use a number of different fabrics.
Beauty and comfort is in the eye of the beholder but I think silk is warmer and more comfortable than wool and cashmere

I have a madder silk scarf from David and it is just as warm as my cashmere scarves....and it looks so much better than cashmere with tweed.

The Silverfox

Reaction score
Yeah, I guess you're right. I know they sell silk underwear and liner gloves where I buy my skiing gear, and come to think of it, my favorite scarf is a silk cashmere blend with more silk than cashmere I believe, so when I think about it I guess silk as a material is quite warm. The thing though is that all these silk things are quite woolen in terms of texture, I just for some reason equate silk with smooth and tight weaves, though the material can of course be made into a fuzzy and more open weave.

I guess I just imagine silks in a more worsted type with a tighter weave to be much less warm, is there any truth to that or is it just my imagination?

Bullethead: So the madder is as warm than a fuzzy cashmere? Is that when compared to a cashmere of equal weight? How does it feel against bare skin in the cold? For some reason I just equate fuzzy with warm and comfortable.

By the way congrats to Al, that wedding silk looks great.

Last edited:

The Silverfox

Reaction score

Thank you, sir.  It was a harder decision after I got the swatches.  They all look much better in person than they do on a computer screen.

I can imagine, I'm currently waiting on two ties and I think 30-40 swatches.... I'm sure I won't have any trouble choosing.

By the way, can wedding/formal ties be worn in more casual and business settings, or would that be like showing up for work in a tweed suit with opera pumps? Been looking at some of the striped wedding/formal ties and I love the combos of grey. Remind me of the tie Pierce Brosnan wears with the grey 3-piece prince of wales suit at the start of The Thomas Crown Affair.

Last edited:

EndlessBreak

Reaction score

David, any plans on expanding the scarf range to silk/cashmere reversibles?
One such type by Drake's

I live in Norway, so while beautiful, I fear a pure silk scarf would be the death of me.

I live in Canada. I use a silk scarf that I purchased in Delhi that is made of sari material. I find it to be a wonderful wind block. I have never found it to be cold. It is, however, much lighter and less bulky that any wool scarf that I've used.

bullethead

Reaction score
Silverfox,

even though cashmere is softer, I don't even give it a second thought. the heavier silk twills feel so much different than the thin silk scarves that initially come to mind. FWIW, I have the drake's scarf pictured above and when i wear it, it makes no difference to me which side is against my throat.

Renton

Reaction score
I have the off white stripe and I use it all the time. I only wish I had gotten British stripes instead.

GradSchooler

Reaction score
The correct answer is "both".

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Just placed the order for my wedding tie gentlemen.  I went with the wedding/formal silk #1.  I also got myself a Carlo Riva white line/cotton square for the wedding.  it took me a while to order the tie as I got swatches and made the decision with my fiance.

To celebrate the occasion, I ordered a bitter chocolate piccola for myself.  Both ties I ordered as 7-fold, untipped, hand rolled edges.

Needless to say I'm excited. 

Thanks to everyone for all the help.  I will post photos when they arrive!

i know im late, but awesome. enjoy the tie.

also, i just noticed the site update, very very nice, david. great job. looks great! :slayer:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics