1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by in stitches, May 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. The Silverfox

The Silverfox Senior member

Sorry about the delay, but here is the dark red grenadine fina and a couple of her friends.

I'm not sure the colours are 100% spot on though, as these are taken in the bathroom with a strong light. Judging by how both the pink shirt and the blue shirt look almost white, it seems like they're all a bit lighter than in real life.

Oh and by the way these are all 3.85 inches wide and 67/66 inches long (65 for grenadines to compensate for stretching)

Houndstooth that's made up of what looks like silver and burgundy, which looks coppery in real life 3-fold
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dark navy english satin, slightly darker IRL 3-fold.
    [​IMG]

White blue and red very fine check, pretty close to IRL 3-fold
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Forest green diamond weave, IRL it's a darker and more pure green, same blazer as both above and below for color comparison. 3-fold
    [​IMG]

White and black (I think) glen check, 6-fold. Picture is accurate
    [​IMG]

Dark red grenadine fina, 4-fold, picture is a touch light. Blazer is the same as above, so you can see that the pic is brighter.
    [​IMG]

White and black english woven pattern, 6-fold, pretty close to real life
    [​IMG]

White woven dots on midnight blue background, 3-fold, pretty close though perhaps a touch lighter than real life.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

The Silverfox, lovely collection. Really like the first tie especially. Do you recall what category it is in on the website if you don't mind me asking?

3. The Silverfox

The Silverfox Senior member

It's funny you should say that, as this was my first Sam Hober tie and is probably still my favourite. It really is magnificently beautiful, and it's even more beautiful in real life as the color is a bit warmer than in the pic, as well as being more "alive" when natural light hits it from different angles as it's quite a shiny tie.

It's in the category Pattern Silk Ties, and I believe the code is (was) EPT-6, but unfortunately I got the last one if I recall correctly. I would speculate that this is one that will make a return, but that's just speculation on my part, I'm sure David will have that info. There's a pic on the site, one of the few where they've rolled the tie up and then laid it on it's side so you really see the light play with it, as it does when worn IRL, that really does it justice.

4. archibaldleach

The collection:

Solid grenadine grossa:

[​IMG]

Solid English silk and diamond weave ties:

[​IMG]

Pin dot and flower pattern ties:

[​IMG]

Stripes and other patterns:

[​IMG]

Sorry the camera shot isn't better, but you get the idea.

3 people like this.
  5. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Senior member

Nice! What collar is that first grenadine grossa? I'm assuming burgundy or dark red?

6. archibaldleach

Thanks. The first grenadine grossa is the dark red. Burgundy is on my to-buy list.

7. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Senior member

Perfect! Love the color, and I have a dark red grenadine fina on the way.

8. Patrick R

Patrick R Senior member

Which fabric is the bottom deep red stripe?

9. PiCcolocV

PiCcolocV Senior member

Wowowow, details on the lavender(?) stripe tie 3rd from the bottom?

10. VRaivio

VRaivio Senior member

Any recommendations material-wise for SH ties? My collection has basics, now's the time for experimentation.

11. Cuttingboard

Cuttingboard Senior member

I've waiting for a restock of the silk material so that I can have the same tie made...been waiting a while but have it saved in my wishlist. I believe it's under English pattern.

12. archibaldleach

The deep red striped tie is one of the Italian Stripe Silk Ties (either #3 or #7, the dark blue striped tie being the other). The lavender with white and midnight blue striped tie was at one point known as English Striped Silk Tie #39. I tried finding these on the Hober website to confirm but to no avail. Might be worth PMing David to see if he has the silks / is planning to get them back. Closer up picture of the two ties is below:

[​IMG]

The red striped tie is pretty close to how it looks IRL, though the picture deprives the lavender stripe tie of some of its richness.

1 person likes this.
  13. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

Note that you'll probably have separate duty charges for DHL.

14. LeviMay

LeviMay Senior member

$35 into Canada on my last order. Bull$#|+.

15. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

i was quite pleased with DHL, as well.

silverfox - great collection, and nice to see them being worn. i too have that first one you posted, and i love it.

archibaldleach - awesome, thanks for posting the collection.

16. MattSF

MattSF Well-Known Member

Eh, I'd rather get them in 2-3 days with duty charges than 2-3 weeks without (I'm anxious to get my hands on some Hobers, lol). Thanks for the heads-up though!

1 person likes this.
  17. inimitable

inimitable Senior member

Trying to figure out the correct length. I thought for some reason RTW ties were about 57" long.

Just measured several of mine (Marinella, Drakes, Cappelli) and they are about 62/3". I'd prefer a custom tie to be about an inch longer for a perfect fit, which would mean a length of 64".

Does this sound too long for someone who wears a 16" collar, 42" chest and is approx 6ft3?

18. MattSF

MattSF Well-Known Member

FWIW, I wear a 17" collar, have a 45" chest, and am around 6'6". I normally wear Brioni ties, which are a little longer than usual, but are around 61". Those ties are definitely too short, as the smaller end of the tie barely fits through the keeper. Based on David's tie measurement recommendations, 64" is the proper length for me. Everyone wears their ties differently, as well as their pants at different heights, has longer or shorter torsos, etc. From the information you provided though, it sounds like 64" should be right for you.

19. Cuttingboard

Cuttingboard Senior member

Yes, the only measurement that matters is from your belt to neck. I buy a 57 inch tie.

20. MattSF

MattSF Well-Known Member

Not being argumentative, just trying to understand. How can that be the only measurement that matters? If he wears 62/3" ties right now, how can 57" be the correct length?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013