• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been slowly rebooting my tie collection with Hobers and I'm not sure what I should order next.
This is what I've ordered so far.
-red grenadine fina
-forest green grenadine Grossa
-royal blue diamond weave
-burgundy cashmere
-navy grenadine fina
-bottle green on midnight blue pindot grenadine
-bitter chocolate grenadine fina
-dark purple grenadine fina
-purple English pin dot
-off white in blue stripe grenadine
I was thinking either some wool challis or a madder for the fall & winter, any suggestions?

beautiful English linen fabric

Black Linen Tie #1

LeviMay

Reaction score

What does "neat" mean?

Small, repeating designs, usually printed, though they can be woven too.

Examples:

Vodking

Reaction score
My burgundy grenadine prometeo arrived today, vastly exceeding my high expectations. Will try to post photos tomorrow.

Does anyone have any photos of a Macclesfield printed silk scarf?

Also, why can't the Macclesfield silk necktie options be made up as scarves instead?

nishan22

Reaction score
Has anyone ordered any of the Hobers in a shade of pink? Need to coordinate my tie with my wife's outfit for a daytime wedding and looking for any recommendations.

Thanks

MrChris

Reaction score

Has anyone ordered any of the Hobers in a shade of pink? Need to coordinate my tie with my wife's outfit for a daytime wedding and looking for any recommendations.
Thanks

Matching your tie color with your partners outfit color, I think that's a little too obvious and too much. I would consider a little more discrete matching instead, by chosing a PS that picks up the color of her outfit.
A general recomendation...Order fabric samples to ensure you get the right color. My experience is that the color displayed on the website differs quite alot compared to real life.

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Matching your tie color with your partners outfit color, I think that's a little too obvious and too much. I would consider a little more discrete matching instead, by chosing a PS that picks up the color of her outfit.
A general recomendation...Order fabric samples to ensure you get the right color. My experience is that the color displayed on the website differs quite alot compared to real life.

I'm a big fan of matching a lapel flower. It's discreet and tasteful imo.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My burgundy grenadine prometeo arrived today, vastly exceeding my high expectations. Will try to post photos tomorrow.

Does anyone have any photos of a Macclesfield printed silk scarf?

Also, why can't the Macclesfield silk necktie options be made up as scarves instead?

How is the burgundey grenadine? On the website, the color looks almost brown. Is it actually more of a traditional burgundy?

HughJ

Reaction score

How is the burgundey grenadine?  On the website, the color looks almost brown.  Is it actually more of a traditional burgundy?

It is a traditional burgundy (I have the swatch kit).

Vodking

Reaction score
How is the burgundey grenadine? On the website, the color looks almost brown. Is it actually more of a traditional burgundy?

I can only speak for the Prometeo burgundy - which is certainly a traditional burgundy/wine colour. Sorry for the horrendous photo but here's mine. The colour is fairly accurate but slightly richer IRL, this photo doesn't do it justice.

LeviMay

Reaction score
I have the burgundy Garza Grossa. I've always thought of it as a blend of purple, red, and a touch of brown.

Mr. Pink

Reaction score
I'm wearing mine today. It's a traditional burgundy. Very rich shade.

DFp9t.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads