A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by in stitches, May 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. GradSchooler

GradSchooler Senior member

Now that I've got a moment, I wanted to share with everyone an experience I recently had dealing with David.

I had placed an order about a week before, when I got the news that my mother had been diagnosed with cancer. Now, I'm a graduate student and living on a tight budget, so buying ties from David is a bit of a luxury that I was rewarding myself with for a hard year of work. When I got the news about my mother, I suddenly realized that the money I had spent on the ties I'd ordered would need to be redirected to flying home to be with my family. Even though it had been a week since I'd ordered, and since Sam Hober is all about bespoke ties and therefore, quite understandably, has no refund policy, I emailed David, hoping that it wasn't too late and I could cancel my order. David responded, most graciously, saying that even though they have a no refund policy and that he would have to eat the fees from my credit card order, he would refund my purchase. On top of this, when I offered to at least cover his fees, so he wouldn't be at a loss, he said it wasn't an issue and that he wished the best for my family.

The point of all of this is that David Hober is one classy guy. He showed integrity and empathy towards me and my family in a time when many would not have. For my part, he has made me a customer for life. If I wear a tie, it will be a Sam Hober and I will proudly tell everyone where I got it and why they should give David their business.

2. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Really sorry to hear about your mother. I hope she gets better and that your family gets through OK.

3. Tommi

Tommi Senior member

I couldn't agree more. That's because of David's humane and empathic customer service on my last order.

Thank you, David.

4. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

What a story! David is known for his legendary customer service, this is another one to add to that album.

5. Targa Man

Targa Man Member

I have been spared the family tragedy, but being in the service industry myself, I am absolutely amazed with David's passion and service . . . and so far I've only bought two ties from him. I too am a customer for life, well, what's left of it! hehehe

6. UglyJoe

UglyJoe Well-Known Member

Ordered a Dark Navy Fina, 6-fold, untipped, rolled edges. Can't wait, and will post pics when it arrives. David is fantastic to work with!

7. applky

applky Senior member

^ Please do post pics. Sounds excellent.

8. HughJ

HughJ Senior member

If anyone here maybe owns both a Garza Grossa and a Prometeo knit, would you mind posting a high res pic for the sake of comparison? I can't decide. Thanks in advance.

9. UglyJoe

Interesting.

David, what is your favorite tie that you have made/make?

10. ELG

ELG Senior member

Sam sells a beautiful Cal Berkeley tie, and that should be enough for everyone.

11. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

12. Hampton

Hampton Senior member

13. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

thanks! i plan on it. :)

14. Imhoff

Imhoff Senior member

15. UglyJoe

Just got my dark navy grenadine, 6 fold, untipped, hand rolled edges. Pics soon!