1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by in stitches, May 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Renton

Renton Senior member

David, you really do know how to give just enough bait to set that hook. I'm game for whatever you have in store.

2. sftiger

sftiger Senior member

I would definitely be interested in this.

3. RogerC

RogerC Senior member

I'd love to see what you'd still have in terms of heavy rough silk.

On the knit ties: fairisle anyone?

4. Velvet Gavel

Velvet Gavel Member

Long time reader, first time poster. And what better place to start than by thanking David for his wonderful ties. I'm in the process of rolling over my proletarian tie collection into a much better one, and I started that process with a Hober grenadine grossa in coral with hand rolled edges and no tipping. David walked me through the sizing appropriate to my knot type and then delivered a beautiful tie within the lead time he mentions on his website, which I suppose was no small feat given the holiday ordering time.

I can't explain the technical particulars of the knot and will leave that to folks far more experienced than I, but I can say without hesitation it's the best tie I have worn; knots beautifully, very rich color, and the perfect length almost every time I knot it. The tie may only be exceeded by the exceptional customer service that David delivers, right down to a handwritten note thanking me for my admittedly meager purchase.

As I had already ordered three swatch sets, I promptly ordered two more ties after the first wear. To the extent I can find a camera that dignifies the tie, I will post pictures later this week, and will update once I receive the two new ones.

5. cold war painter

cold war painter Senior member

*head explodes*

6. The Silverfox

The Silverfox Senior member

David, any estimate on when the new pattern silks will appear on the site?

7. LeviMay

LeviMay Senior member

I just ordered the last piece of the Brown Black-Warp Cashmere, which I think will be a very versatile tie.

Mr. Hober also informed me that they may have a new set of cashmeres in the works over the next couple months.

8. mattcritchlow

mattcritchlow Well-Known Member

As am I, David! Though I admit, I was hoping for a restock of the burgundy cashmere for my next tie. Ah well, your new project sounds very promising.

9. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Without going into details, I just want to say that the quality of David's ties is matched and exceeded by the quality of his character.

10. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Bump. This tie makes me tingly.

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  11. Al in Philly

Al in Philly Senior member

Really nice! I can't wait to get my wedding tie and bitter chocolate piccola!

12. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

Just sent an email though the website for a custom bow.....fingers crossed it's something you can do [​IMG]

13. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

David: any progress on being able to make scarves with fringes?

Thanks.

14. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

That looks really nice David--let us know how the test tie turns out!

15. RogerC

RogerC Senior member

That does look nice. I'd love to hear about the six other colours.

16. scurvyfreedman

scurvyfreedman Senior member

David,

Any chance of adding a Cornell University tie?

Thanks,

Eugene

17. Al in Philly

Al in Philly Senior member

My Hober wedding tie and square showed up at work today. I will post pics after I get home.

18. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

I am thinking of grabbing a few of the Macclesfield print ties, but I did want some opinions on pairing these with pocket squares. Most of my squares are silk print, and I am wary of being too matchy. I don't plan on matching similar prints/colors, but I am curious, do these ties look like prints from a few feet away, or are they very much like woven ties?

19. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

I've been purchasing ties from David for just over six years and I haven't purchased a tie from anyone else for over five. My collection is probably between 25 and 30 and I just ordered a few more (magenta grenadine grossa, navy grenadine grossa and green pin dots on burgundy). I don't think there's a better tie for the money (fabric quality and construction are excellent), the selection of fabrics is tremendous, I love being able to order custom features (even if my needs are pretty simple) and David has always been a true gentleman and great business owner. I hope to continue to be able to purchase ties from him for many years.

It's very nice to scroll through SF and see a thread like this recognizing a great tie maker and individual. Just wanted to add my note of appreciation as well.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  20. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

Darn you. I thought I had finished ordering Hobers (for like 3 months). Oh well. At least ties are a less expensive addiction than I imagine watches would be.