• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Placed an order for my first Hober tie (and my first quality tie in general).  Being my first, I went with the standard navy grenadine (grossa).  3.5" wide.

I ordered this same tie and just recently received it. It's the perfect blue shade to go with just about every suit and shirt combination. May become my favorite tie.

I recently ordered the same tie (except fina instead of grossa). It was my first Sam Hober order. It arrived Friday and is fantastic.

Agreed that it's just the right shade of blue. I was second guessing myself after ordering, wondering if I should have went with the dark navy, but I couldn't be happier.

Last edited:

nishan22

Reaction score
It's the one that Sotiris posted: Midnight blue with white pin dot grenadine - I got the four fold out of personal preference. The six fold grenadines are really quite thick.

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For all interested parties, the Forest Green Grenadine is back. I'm debating if I can afford one now given all the stuf I've recently bought :\ Really want a FG tie.

LeviMay

Reaction score

For all interested parties, the Forest Green Grenadine is back. I'm debating if I can afford one now given all the stuf I've recently bought :\ Really want a FG tie.

:nodding:

Yep... Just ordered mine! I'd imagine they're going quick... Hope Mr. Hober has adequate stock on hand.

calidist

Reaction score
I've got the linen swatch set to pass on. First person to post can claim it (please pm me your address).

Update: CLAIMED!

Last edited:

NoCleverName

Reaction score
Just ordered a garza fina in navy and a purple with white pin dots 6-fold lined. I'm excited to finally own some nice ties.

nandreetta

Reaction score
It was neck and neck with the midnight blue (and with a slight pang of regret when the forest green was restocked), but the (recently received) charcoal/silver grenadine garza fina won out as my wedding tie. I think it works well as a nod to classic wedding ties without descending into full-on anglophilia and works better with my mid-grey suit than would a glen plaid.

Here's a quick photo with an altogether incorrect shirt, but I'll update with proper photos later. The pocket square is also a Hober, naturally.

No knot criticism please. I'm working on it.

Dib

Reaction score

You people are crazy for not snapping up this swatch set. :) To tempt you, here's a pic of three Hober ties. From L to R: dark navy fina grenadine, striped grossa grenadine, and midnight blue linen.
These look great. How transparent are the untipped blades of the two grenadines in real life? I would assume they are relatively see-through although they look reasonably opaque in the picture - is that because they are sitting on a dark surface?

bullswin

Reaction score
You people are crazy for not snapping up this swatch set. :) To tempt you, here's a pic of three Hober ties. From L to R: dark navy fina grenadine, striped grossa grenadine, and midnight blue linen.
These look great. How transparent are the untipped blades of the two grenadines in real life? I would assume they are relatively see-through although they look reasonably opaque in the picture - is that because they are sitting on a dark surface?
The fina is much more see-through relative to the grossa. If you like opaqueness, I'd recommend the fina; if you're not a fan of opaqueness, you should be comfortable with the grossa.

LeviMay

Reaction score

The fina is much more see-through relative to the grossa. If you like opaqueness, I'd recommend the fina; if you're not a fan of opaqueness, you should be comfortable with the grossa.

:paranoia:

Opaque = Not see through

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am finished drooling over the Grenadine Garza Fina swatch set that calidist was kind enough to send me. PM me if you'd like it next.

Edit: Claimed! Keep watching this space, though, because the swatch set should become available again in less than two weeks.

Last edited:

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
After a several year online and phone friendship with David (we share a mutual interest in Hyderabad, India), I finally ordered my first Sam Hober tie. It's a fantastic tie, and I can't wait to wear it.

GradSchooler

Reaction score

After a several year online and phone friendship with David (we share a mutual interest in Hyderabad, India), I finally ordered my first Sam Hober tie. It's a fantastic tie, and I can't wait to wear it.

Is that a pindot garza fina?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads