A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by in stitches, May 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. bullswin

bullswin Senior member

^^ and I think there's a note on the site mentioning that David's traveling this week, so emailing with him now might not be as speedy as usual.

If this is your first order, I definitely recommend having some communication with David before placing it. There are likely to be minor details you'll think about or questions you'll have at the last second.

2. bullswin

bullswin Senior member

You people are crazy for not snapping up this swatch set. :) To tempt you, here's a pic of three Hober ties. From L to R: dark navy fina grenadine, striped grossa grenadine, and midnight blue linen. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012

3. Pluripotent

Pluripotent Well-Known Member

4. applky

applky Senior member

By which I meant, yes you are the only one.

5. applky

applky Senior member

Fantastic!

Details on construction? Hand-rolled edges?

6. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

Didn't realize David could do a contrasting edge.

7. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

I have the middle one. Very understated and looks much better IRL.

8. bullswin

bullswin Senior member

Thanks.

Yeah, just hand rolled edges; no other special requests or construction options went into these (i.e., just standard 3 or 4 fold construction).

9. applky

applky Senior member

I have been waiting for a restock on that particular striped grenadine for quite a while! Looking forward to ordering and receiving one of my own.

Thank you for the details. I default to lightly-lined or unlined six-fold construction with hand rolled edges. I have a feeling that these would look great unlined, if casual.

10. alexSF

alexSF Senior member

Thanks for your response.
    I know your attention to details and really appreciate your work, and I dislike how much you the edges poor stitched (sometimes machine-made that imitate handwork) but I did not speak of that case.
    Yes, probably my point of view depends as I am an Italian, I simply prefer the romantic look of different but equally well made edge, with various twists and irregularities (that for me not mean imperfections)
    The target to have such a regular and circular edge is clearly visible for me, but for me it makes them so static and inanimate.
    I think that both kind of edges are and well made and well stitched, simply in a different way.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012

11. alexSF

alexSF Senior member

Also perfection is in the eye of the beholder...why you call them rustic?

My grandmother is an hand embroiderer so I am familiar with this kind of work.

12. alexSF

alexSF Senior member

The point is that I did not talk of fast sewing.
    As I have added above my grandmother is an hand emboiderer and I really enjoy her patient and amazing work.
    I really understand how attention needs to maintain that regularity in a circular edge like yours, but this is perfection in a point of view, not necessarily for everyone.
    I do not talk in technical terms, but in aesthetic terms.

The edges that you call rustic could be perfect as yours in a technical term, with the same slow and carefull stitching but simply with a different aesthetic objective, with the thread pulled in a way to create an effect of movement and not of regularity.

I understand that you want to distinguish from the rest of the production, especially from that of poor quality, which is really rustic...
    Your regular edge reach this goal and are perfectly distinguishable like a incredibly well made finishing.
    To understand instead if an "ordinary" edge is well done a trained eye it is needed, because the aestetic could be similar but the technical realization not.

Beauty and perfection are both too subjective to force them into rules.
    I hope too to meet a great artisan like you, that really love his work. :satisfied:

13. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

David, how old do you think Benjamin will have to get before he starts feeling left out of the family business? :) That darn Samantha is getting all of the credit!

14. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

If I am not mistaken, I think the silk-making part of the business is represented by Ben--from what I remember, both Sam and Ben have been thoroughly taken care of :)

15. Threadbearer

Threadbearer Senior member

Outside the Beltway but still in the Danger Zone

Of fer cryin' out loud men! Will somebody PLEASE take this swatch set before I throw it in the back of a drawer and forget that I have it? What a shame it would be if it were to go out of circulation.

Okay, somebody just grabbed it. Other interested parties should watch this space. That swatch set will be available again in one or two weeks.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012