A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by in stitches, May 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. LeviMay

LeviMay Senior member

:slayer:

2. RogerC

RogerC Senior member

Wonderful collection! Which is the stripe on the top right? Can't find it on the website...

3. poissa

poissa Senior member

Thanks to applky for sending me the solid silk reppe swatches. I'd like to pass this along. PM if you're interested.

4. Mike147

Mike147 Senior member

How long have you guys been waiting for Standard Grenadine in terms of delivery? I'm thinking about ordering a few - all for suits, daywear, not evening wear... I wear suits for work, Monday thru Thursday and occasionally on Fridays

Looking for one in Red/Wine - Checking the Dark Red
    One in Blue - Checking out the Navy
    and One is Silver / Gray - Checking out the Sky Blue/Silver or Charcoal Gray/Silver

All in Grenadine Garza Fina Solid Ties... Any opinions on the above? This will be my first order from Mr. Hober... I do not own any Grenadine ties at the moment

Does anyone have swatches to share?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

5. bullswin

bullswin Senior member

For the blue -- I recommend the "dark navy" (#10 -- link here). The color is a bit more saturated than the "navy". I have the dark navy fina and it's great.

For the silver/gray -- I recommend the charcoal grossa (#20 -- link here). I have swatches of both #20 and #21, and #21 is too light in color for my tastes. And patrickbooth has posted some really nice pics of grossa #20.

Cheers.

6. applky

applky Senior member

^ For the reddish one, I'd recommend the burgundy. It has a touch of purple in it, which is wonderful.

7. bullswin

bullswin Senior member

David -- I just noticed the "New Macclesfield Silk Print" section on the site. When should we expect the images up? Thanks.

8. david123

david123 Senior member

Could you post a photo? I've wanted to order that one too but it looked too brownish to me in the picture online.

9. applky

applky Senior member

^ I only have the swatch -- or rather had. It's gone now. But I think it's a common tie -- some other SF member will have one.

10. Mike147

Mike147 Senior member

I'll do a little more research before I order. In terms of construction - what have you guys gone with? I like a 'average sized' knot with dimple and usually go 1/2 Windsor. David seems to recommend 3-fold for his grenadine silks - no idea if it should be lined or unlined. Still considering width but I'm just going to measure the width of my favorite RTW tie and go with that...

I saw patrickbooth's tie - he sold it. Really looks great - wish David had that color in the fina weave... I might pull the trigger either way.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  11. notfortheweak

notfortheweak Active Member

As promised ages ago, here are pics of the Sam Hober ties I got for myself and my groomsmen for my wedding last fall. I wore the glen plaid. Great ties, and amazing service (not that either of those things are news at this point.) I'll definitely do another Hober order in the future. I wish I had occasion to wear ties more often, so I could do it sooner, rather than later. Anyway, here are the pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. E TF

E TF Senior member

13. LynahFaithful

LynahFaithful Senior member

Send an e-mail to David with all of your questions. He'll answer them all promptly and thoroughly. His basic grenadine's are all 4 fold now. I have three and they are all excellent. Mine are all lined but two are tipped and one is non-tipped with hand rolled edges. Both are excellent.

14. cbbuff

cbbuff Senior member

Agree with asking David as the best method. That said, the 6 folds (I have both in grenadines) are very, very nice, but probably overkill, especially if you like 1/2 Windsors I would go with the standard (which are actually 4 folds).

15. cbbuff

cbbuff Senior member

I have the burgundy, it does have some brownish tones. You probably want the Dark Red, it is also beautiful and on my (long and growing) list of ties I want from Hober.