• We would like to welcome Pete and Harry as an official Affiliate Vendor. Pete and Harry, co-founded by Erik (EFV) one of our long time members and friends, offers a wide variety of products, clothes, watches and accessories, antique, vintage, “pre-loved” and new - all at unparalleled prices. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

Bavo

Reaction score
So sorry for the delay! Been out with my newborn.

I think both would be excellent candidates!! I would pick the burgundy (need to get one first) over chocolate as more versatile/formal. However, if you want 2 grenadines to go with suits, I think BOTH are perfect for that.
Congratulations!

And thank you - I am leaning burgundy but probably will eventually get both:)

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congratulations!

And thank you - I am leaning burgundy but probably will eventually get both:)

Good choice, my friend!!

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is such a great tie!

Could work on your dimple a bit, but that is a nitpick, still a great tie.

Verve

Reaction score
That is such a great tie!

Could work on your dimple a bit, but that is a nitpick, still a great tie.
Thanks, H.

Yup, I agree there could be more of a dimple; however, I preferably don’t tie very tight knots and hence the lack of dimple. I enjoy a tie with or without a dimple, and that’s why you’ll see my pics without the dimple frequently because of the ”looser” knots. I’m aware it’s not the popular thing to do on SF, but I’m not worried about it.

Last edited:

Verve

Reaction score
Reading the past posts on this thread, I heard more than once that the PoW tie fabric is very light. Is anyone able to attest to this? Should I request a 6-fold construction when I order my PoW tie?

nedrog

Reaction score
Hi all. I apologize in advance as my question has probably been asked many times before already.

I am looking for a silver tie to wear at my wedding, and I am having a hard time choosing from the following because of how similar they look to my eye:

-Charcoal Gray/Silver Grenadine Fina Silk Tie #GFT-21

-Sky Blue/Silver Grenadine Fina Silk Tie #GFT-22

-Silver/Brown Grenadine Fina Silk Tie #GFT-23

I will be wearing a navy suit. Which one would you recommend? Also, if you could post pictures of the actual tie, that would be super helpful. Thanks!

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I apologize in advance as my question has probably been asked many times before already.

I am looking for a silver tie to wear at my wedding, and I am having a hard time choosing from the following because of how similar they look to my eye:

-Charcoal Gray/Silver Grenadine Fina Silk Tie #GFT-21

-Sky Blue/Silver Grenadine Fina Silk Tie #GFT-22

-Silver/Brown Grenadine Fina Silk Tie #GFT-23

I will be wearing a navy suit. Which one would you recommend? Also, if you could post pictures of the actual tie, that would be super helpful. Thanks!
Gray silver below. Don’t have the other two
EB2E7BFA-58F0-4A8D-8DEB-2CC9ACD3C6ED.jpeg

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone who has one comment on the Atkinsons Irish Poplin ties? Looks from the photos like it might be similar in appearance to the mogador ties, at least to the extent of having a matte finish? Being 50% wool, does it have a "fuzzy" texture like you'd get with wool? Is it as thick as the mogador fabric? TIA

Bavo

Reaction score
Can anyone who has one comment on the Atkinsons Irish Poplin ties? Looks from the photos like it might be similar in appearance to the mogador ties, at least to the extent of having a matte finish? Being 50% wool, does it have a "fuzzy" texture like you'd get with wool? Is it as thick as the mogador fabric? TIA
I have two from Hober and a few from J Press. They are all Atkinsons (only maker, I believe). They have a matte finish and are a little stiffer than silk. I’d compare them more to how a challis wool feels than a regular wool tie. They are definitely not fuzzy. I own no mogador so cannot make that comparison. Overall, I am a big fan of Irish poplin and how they tie and drape.

Featured Sponsor

LARGE METAL WATCHES WITH TAILORING

• Yes, I’m tacky like that.

• No way José! Dress watch with leather strap for me!

• No watch at all.

Results are only viewable after voting.