• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

RozenKristal

Reaction score
Was sending David emails back and forth, urg, I am indecisive on going with tipped or untipped for grenadine. For darker colors and prometeo weave, I think the see-through is less of a problem. New to the tie world so I am hesitant on stuff like this.

Last edited:

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was sending David emails back and forth, urg, I am indecisive on going with tipped or untipped for grenadine. For darker colors and prometeo weave, I think the see-through is less of a problem. New to the tie world so I am hesitant on stuff like this.
Buy just a couple to start. I had to find the length and width I wanted. I went a little narrower after about a half dozen ties and even went an inch shorter because I started buying higher waisted trousers. Not sure if I can fit into those anymore due to my pandemic weight gain, so when I finally return to the office I may need longer ties again. Or, you can just buy one of each. Either way works.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For darker colors and prometeo weave, I think the see-through is less of a problem.
Maybe just word choice, but if you think untipped may be a problem at all, why bother? Go with tipped.

I have them both tipped and untipped, but prefer tipped, which I feel like I can wear with anything, a biz suit or a jacket.
Untipped, I associate with more casual jackets (not suits) and with warm weather and lighter colors. But thats just me. So depends on your needs. At the end of the day, its just a slightly different look

RozenKristal

Reaction score
Maybe just word choice, but if you think untipped may be a problem at all, why bother? Go with tipped.

I have them both tipped and untipped, but prefer tipped, which I feel like I can wear with anything, a biz suit or a jacket.
Untipped, I associate with more casual jackets (not suits) and with warm weather and lighter colors. But thats just me. So depends on your needs. At the end of the day, its just a slightly different look

Definitely a word choice issue on my part. I like them look untipped, but would want to wear them with suit as well. I prob gonna have 2 or 3 ties and that about it so was wondering what people think before taking the plunge

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like the bitter chocolate.

Does anyone have thoughts on this vs plain chocolate vs burgundy grenadine with navy or charcoal suits?

So sorry for the delay! Been out with my newborn.

I think both would be excellent candidates!! I would pick the burgundy (need to get one first) over chocolate as more versatile/formal. However, if you want 2 grenadines to go with suits, I think BOTH are perfect for that.

Featured Sponsor

LARGE METAL WATCHES WITH TAILORING

• Yes, I’m tacky like that.

• No way José! Dress watch with leather strap for me!

• No watch at all.

Results are only viewable after voting.