• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

Verve

Reaction score
Not in your colors but here is a grossa
View attachment 1572674
Appreciate it, James! Thanks again. Looks like I like both of them. I’d hate to buy a premium tie and not enjoy wearing it.

It’s kinda amusing that 15 years ago, I hated wearing ties. Recently, I’ve chosen to wear ties voluntarily because I now enjoy putting on a tie when it hasn’t been required for work for about 5 years. Then SF makes you up your wardrobe game when you discover some amazing craftsmanship.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Appreciate it, James! Thanks again. Looks like I like both of them. I’d hate to buy a premium tie and not enjoy wearing it.

It’s kinda amusing that 15 years ago, I hated wearing ties. Recently, I’ve chosen to wear ties voluntarily because I now enjoy putting on a tie when it hasn’t been required for work for about 5 years. Then SF makes you up your wardrobe game when you discover some amazing craftsmanship.
I "have to" wear a suit and tie on court days, but I have never regretted suiting up. I enjoy it. On No-court days I can wear whatever I want. Some of my colleagues show up in jeans and polos on those days. But I wear jackets and odd trousers by choice, sometimes with, sometimes without, ties.

I love Hober's grenadines because they look as good with a suit as they do with an odd jacket and trousers. Especially the grosses. And getting a tie that is sized just right for you, as are Hobers, is key. Once you realize what a difference that makes, there is no turning back.

I am slowly purging and rebuilding my tie wardrobe with Hobers. Many of my older ties are too short (store bought ties are commonly 58", where 60" is better for me) and don't work as well with odd jackets as they do with the suits for which they were originally bought.

Hope you find a grenadine or two. You will love them.

Verve

Reaction score
I "have to" wear a suit and tie on court days, but I have never regretted suiting up. I enjoy it. On No-court days I can wear whatever I want. Some of my colleagues show up in jeans and polos on those days. But I wear jackets and odd trousers by choice, sometimes with, sometimes without, ties.

I love Hober's grenadines because they look as good with a suit as they do with an odd jacket and trousers. Especially the grosses. And getting a tie that is sized just right for you, as are Hobers, is key. Once you realize what a difference that makes, there is no turning back.

I am slowly purging and rebuilding my tie wardrobe with Hobers. Many of my older ties are too short (store bought ties are commonly 58", where 60" is better for me) and don't work as well with odd jackets as they do with the suits for which they were originally bought.

Hope you find a grenadine or two. You will love them.
You mentioned that you now order 60” ties from Hober, and I was thinking of doing the same when I measured my existing tie collection a few weeks ago. Do you mind me asking how tall you are? Also, “regular” build around the stomach area?

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You mentioned that you now order 60” ties from Hober, and I was thinking of doing the same when I measured my existing tie collection a few weeks ago. Do you mind me asking how tall you are? Also, “regular” build around the stomach area?
I am 6-2, 195. 17" neck (shirt size).
I have no idea why you asked about my stomach, :crackup:thats a first for a tie thread!
Suggestion on getting your tie size just right. Email David Hober. He will reply right away--he will call you (from Thailand!) if your email lists a phone #. He will help you dial it in.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love the tie and saddles! Is that a repp twill?

Thank you! The saddles always make me smile.

Yes, salmon reppe! Really a nice feel and good body.

Broke out a Spring tie to celebrate a Spring-like end of winter day.
View attachment 1571948

Very nice! Interesting pattern I've not seen before. What kind of tie is it?

Anyone have a pic of a Grossa tie? I’m going to purchase a grenadine burgundy fina and was thinking of getting a grenadine navy Grossa in the same order to see how much of a weave contrast it is, but figure I could see a customer’s pic as a second source besides the commercial site. Thanks in advance!

Fina is a very nice weave, tight, but still noticeable that it's a grenadine. I don't have a gross to compare to, but I imagine it's much looser and more visibly a "grenadine" tie.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have no idea why you asked about my stomach, :crackup:thats a first for a tie thread!
Suggestion on getting your tie size just right. Email David Hober. He will reply right away--he will call you (from Thailand!) if your email lists a phone #. He will help you dial it in.

You tie a four in hand, correct?

How close are your two blades in the back? My neck is a 15.5'' and I am significantly taller than you are. It's interesting how all of these things affect tie lengths (and preference)...

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Candy stripes and medallion balmorals to kick off the week.

PXL_20210315_135721875.jpg

PXL_20210315_161956389.jpg
PXL_20210315_162012761.jpg

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You tie a four in hand, correct?

How close are your two blades in the back? My neck is a 15.5'' and I am significantly taller than you are. It's interesting how all of these things affect tie lengths (and preference)...
Its this one

4 in hand, yes. Sorry don't follow your next Q about the blades. If you are asking about the length of the blades, they are both about the same length; ie belt buckle.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Actually, the belly question has been asked before. Bodies are three dimensional. Take two guys of identical height and torso length, same neck size tying the same knot. One is skinny, one ... loves double cheeseburgers. ?. Both correctly want their front blade to end at belt line. They both want their back blade a couple inches shorter the the front.

The guy with the bigger belly will need a longer tie because it will need to travel a greater distance.

Imagine looking at each guy’s profile and the tie is the hypotenuse of a right triangle. Dude with a bigger belly has a longer horizontal leg of his triangle so his hypotenuse will be longer.

All that said, tie a tie you have properly and decide if it is too long or short to your liking. Measure it. Add or subtract inches as necessary. That will get you pretty darn close.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its this one

4 in hand, yes. Sorry don't follow your next Q about the blades. If you are asking about the length of the blades, they are both about the same length; ie belt buckle.

Awesome, thanks. Nice looking tie! I don't think I've come across the English dot before.

Yes, both the same length. I know some prefer to be equal length while some other prefer to have one be a bit shorter than the other.

Actually, the belly question has been asked before. Bodies are three dimensional. Take two guys of identical height and torso length, same neck size tying the same knot. One is skinny, one ... loves double cheeseburgers. ?. Both correctly want their front blade to end at belt line. They both want their back blade a couple inches shorter the the front.

The guy with the bigger belly will need a longer tie because it will need to travel a greater distance.

Imagine looking at each guy’s profile and the tie is the hypotenuse of a right triangle. Dude with a bigger belly has a longer horizontal leg of his triangle so his hypotenuse will be longer.

All that said, tie a tie you have properly and decide if it is too long or short to your liking. Measure it. Add or subtract inches as necessary. That will get you pretty darn close.

Yeah, I figured he was asking about that. Even slight adjustments in the tie's length and width get you to the right place for belt height.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last Thursday night, before retiring, I ordered a pair of Hober ties. When I got up the next morning, Hobers had sent me a shipping notice! And the ties arrived today! Hand made and delivered to Pennsylvania from Thailand, in under 5 days. Amazing!

Last edited:

DCTieGuy

Reaction score
Last Thursday night, before retiring, I ordered a pair of Hober ties. When I got up the next morning, Hobers had sent me a shipping notice! And the ties arrived today! Hand made and shipped to Pennsylvania from Thailand, in under 5 days. Amazing!

post pictures when you can!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads