1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by in stitches, May 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. DCTieGuy

DCTieGuy Senior Member

Thanks! It’s Macclesfield 554. The lighting in the room was pretty bad; it’s way more orange than the picture shows.

While I’m at it, putting in a plug for one of my favorite Macclesfields ties, MCT-537. The pattern and color are awesome!

2. DCTieGuy

DCTieGuy Senior Member

3. Spurious

Spurious Senior Member

4. DCTieGuy

DCTieGuy Senior Member

5. unprocessed

unprocessed Senior Member

6. Patrick R

Patrick R Distinguished Member

7. stro

stro Well-Known Member

554 is one of my newest ones too. love it :slayer:

was scrolling through the macclesfields the other day to see what might be next and caught myself pondering how useful i might find the 561 for a minute or two before realizing it was the exact same pattern as the 554. at least i'm consistent!

8. DFWWingnut

DFWWingnut Senior Member

A little love for the dark blue grenadine.

0514D88A-1D33-45EB-B7B8-4D59A8C6A6D1.jpeg

9. DCTieGuy

DCTieGuy Senior Member

It’s a nice pattern, though, so nobody would fault you for getting it in another color!

10. DCTieGuy

DCTieGuy Senior Member

The gents on here are clearly men of style. I'm probably on the wrong thread for this, but I wanted to get some advice from the Hober Fan Club on new suits. I normally wear Hickey Freeman suits, but they are rather expensive. Wanted to ask if anyone owns any Spier & Mackay suits? How do they compare on quality, fabric, fit, etc? Appreciate any advice and feedback from this group.

11. DFWWingnut

DFWWingnut Senior Member

I own several S&M suits. IMHO better quality than my newer HF suits. Quality has gone to $hit lately on them.
    than

12. CLTesquire

CLTesquire Senior Member

@DFWWingnut Are you talking one of the HF diffusion lines or the mainline, full canvas, US made Hickey suits?

13. unprocessed

@DCTieGuy wondering how you like your rose pink Oxford. I’ve been looking for a pink tie that would look sharp with a blue shirt and I actually have the swatch but still undecided. The swatch looks great next to my dark navy and true blue suits but it does seem to be a darker pink.

Would appreciate your thoughts.

14. DCTieGuy

DCTieGuy Senior Member

It’s for sure one of my favorite ties and I wear it nearly every week. In that picture it looks more pink than it really is; it’s much more red in person. I love the sheen and drape of the fabric and also have one in light blue.

15. unprocessed

Darn, that makes me torn even more since I was looking for more of a true pink tie. I love the oxfords though, especially my burgundy.