• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ask him for swatches.

cakv

Reaction score
What is the impact of choosing no tipping in a tie when it comes to how well it drapes?

Last edited:

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ordered my first SH grenadine earlier today. David certainly is a pleasure to deal with, and their catalog of available ties is impressive! Can't wait to see the new tie.

kravatorf

Reaction score
Does anyone own the "Light Lavender & Midnight Blue Cashmere/Silk Grenadine Grossa Silk Tie #SCGGT-11" tie? Do you have a picture of how it compares to a navy or mid or dark grey suit?

Really want to pull the trigger but concerned it may be a little too light: https://www.samhober.com/cashmere-s...-silk-grenadine-grossa-silk-tie-scggt-11.html

Because of my monitor, all my ties were a hair lighter than the pictures on the site.

Hello, as said above, a swatch is a good idea

I own this tie and it happens to be quite versatile and makes a great winter tie on the cold color side (because of its almost fluffy texture ans muted tone)

It pairs very well with every navy / grey suit I own and happens to bring a sophisticated touch compared to the "usual dark blue tie".

2 remarks on my opinion:
- the slight red hue of the lavender tone makes it weird with the usual light blue shirt (but great with every other, also makes it work with a brown sport coat as long as you want that kind of combination)
- the midnignt blue part of the tie is not that great with a black or very dark grey suit (i.e. It still pairs well with my charcoal end to end suit but not with my dark charcoal herringbone)

(sorry, i'm currently far from home so I can't shoot any picture)

Last edited:

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with ordering a formal bow tie? How does one measure the tied width? Is it how wide you'd like the tie to be when its tied? Asking here in case I get a faster answer than emailing them. Thanks.

cakv

Reaction score
2 remarks on my opinion:
- the slight red hue of the lavender tone makes it weird with the usual light blue shirt (but great with every other, also makes it work with a brown sport coat as long as you want that kind of combination)
- the midnignt blue part of the tie is not that great with a black or very dark grey suit (i.e. It still pairs well with my charcoal end to end suit but not with my dark charcoal herringbone)

(sorry, i'm currently far from home so I can't shoot any picture)
Those 2 notes are good to keep in mind and I thank you for them. I have an end on end charcoal suit as well and will post on how well it goes with that suit in comparison to the others.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with ordering a formal bow tie? How does one measure the tied width? Is it how wide you'd like the tie to be when its tied? Asking here in case I get a faster answer than emailing them. Thanks.
Tied width is, I believe, how it will measure end-to-end when tied. So is it 4.75 inches, 5.5, etc. If you have a favorite bow tie, measure it when you are wearing it and also on the table. David will tell you exactly what he needs.

Decreased

Reaction score
Thoughts on which of these two would work better with solid grey and navy suiting as well as navy odd jackets. I'm not totally sold on a grenadine repp (for me), but like both these patterns so much more than the more traditional striped ties.

By way of context, all my early tie purchases were hideous striped abominations with too many colours and widths. I've avoided all stripes since ditching them, and now am not really sure whether one of these patterns would be easier to match.

IMG_3930.jpg

Fraussie

Reaction score
There are days I'm so grateful for the existence of this forum. I've just finished going through the 498 pages of this thread and I am officially addicted to Sam Hober ties. I wish I had discovered Sam Hober a long time ago.

Got myself a dark navy prometeo grenadine for a wedding a few weeks ago - beautiful tie and extremely versatile. I have just ordered two more: the charcoal/silver grossa grenadine and a large black/white prince of wales. Can't wait to receive them. I reckon I will just progressively renew my tie wardrobe with Sam Hober ties. My first grenadine was untipped and the new ones will be self-tipped so I can see which construction I prefer.

My only quality tie before those was a Vanda tie I bought last year - a six-fold lightly lined red-cream prince of wales. The silk is very thin and stiff but it's a beautiful tie and the craftsmanship is incredible. I think I will stay away from lightly lined (or unlined) ties from now on as I find they wrinkle too much. The tie is very light (despite the 6 fold construction) and always looks like it needs to be pressed (which I would never do off course).

Seems that ordering swatches (and reading this thread!) is key to making the right decision - I've got a few and the cost is adding up quickly. A while ago some members offered to circulate swatch sets to other members (on the condition that those swatch sets would continue circulating). Is that still going on?

Fraussie

Reaction score
And my ties have arrived! They're stunning.

For this order, I specified that I liked a larger knot and hefty ties - comparing the two grenadines (I got the dark navy a few weeks ago without specifying any preference - except untipped), I can tell that the charcoal/silver is thicker (probably due a thicker interlining?) and the tie is wider in the the knot area.

IMG_6487.jpeg

IMG_6486.jpeg

david123

Reaction score
David, a question for you: I've been keeping my ties rolled up in little cases in a drawer standing on their side. I've noticed many of my ties are starting to get wrinkles that don't go away easily. Yours are by far the least prone to this, but now a few of them are starting to get wrinkles too. I was just curious how you recommend storing ties. The things I read online say storing them rolled up is the best way, but it isn't working very well for me. Maybe it's because I have the cases (and the ties inside) on their side, or maybe rolling them up is not a particularly good idea after all. Thanks in advance.

CLTesquire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I like the burnt orange macclesfield pin dot. I have that tie in a couple different colors and really like it. Has a nice hand and drape. Mogador has always felt a bit stiff to me.

I like the slate grenadine but not in fina. I have it grossa and I wear it a lot. If your choices are between the two blue ones posted I’d personally go with the macclesfield print version.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the burnt orange macclesfield pin dot. I have that tie in a couple different colors and really like it. Has a nice hand and drape. Mogador has always felt a bit stiff to me.

I like the slate grenadine but not in fina. I have it grossa and I wear it a lot. If your choices are between the two blue ones posted I’d personally go with the macclesfield print version.
Completely agree with this. Both Macclesfields are very nice, beautiful.

The "White on Burnt Orange Macclesfield Printed Silk Tie #MCPDT-20" is by far the nicer of the two orange ties, imo.

The two blue ties are on the other hand extremely different, so either the two Macclesfields or the two plus a Slate Grenadine Grossa (the color is too "stout" for a Fina, I think):
"White on Burnt Orange Macclesfield Printed Silk Tie #MCPDT-20"
"White on Sky Blue Macclesfield Print Silk Tie #MCT-329"
and?
"Slate Blue Grenadine Grossa Silk Tie #GGT-12".

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads