• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

jtorres94

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So received my first tie from Sam Hober.

I'm sure a 7 Fold wasn't the wisest or most appropriate choice for a wedding tie but I like it quite a bit.
B6C7FF9E-86FA-4579-A5EE-D76360DA577B.jpeg 97E79F74-A6D3-4E08-AE7F-503FD57A2D8F.jpeg

SJR3

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm sure a 7 Fold wasn't the wisest or most appropriate choice for a wedding tie but I like it quite a bit.

Why would you say that? I say a 7-fold is perhaps exactly the most appropriate choice of construction for a wedding tie. 7-folds are considered elegant, luxurious, even a bit unnecessarily over-the-top (but in a good way), since they use up so much more silk and require more time and skill in construction than a typical tie. So what better occasion to splurge on such a tie than your own wedding? :cheers:

Captain Waffles

Reaction score
Why would you say that? I say a 7-fold is perhaps exactly the most appropriate choice of construction for a wedding tie. 7-folds are considered elegant, luxurious, even a bit unnecessarily over-the-top (but in a good way), since they use up so much more silk and require more time and skill in construction than a typical tie. So what better occasion to splurge on such a tie than your own wedding? :cheers:

Does that same rule apply to all wedding ties? I recently got a Sheperd's check in standard 3-fold.

Also - for anyone that owns a prince of wales check tie - does it look as elegant as the one worn by Hugo in this video:
?

SJR3

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Does that same rule apply to all wedding ties? I recently got a Sheperd's check in standard 3-fold.

It's not a "rule", just my personal thoughts. Nothing wrong at all with the standard construction for your tie.

SJR3

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Also - for anyone that owns a prince of wales check tie - does it look as elegant as the one worn by Hugo in this video:
?

Sure, they're all going to look fairly similar. I like the slightly larger scale of the check on his tie. But from a distance, you won't really notice since POW ties resolve to a solid light silver/gray. Assuming a decent quality tie, just need to make sure it ties a decent knot with a good dimple.

I would definitely buy one if @Sam Hober could offer a slightly larger scale like this:

900x900px-LL-42eb3f28_vwws50515001m.jpeg

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks pretty darn good to me - would you say there is a sheen to it?

Mine has a typical slight silk sheen, but it also is not a Hober tie. So I won’t speak to the fabric you would get through Hober. I have a few POW checks, including some wools, that are fully matte. I think the pattern looks great in many iterations.

Captain Waffles

Reaction score
Mine has a typical slight silk sheen, but it also is not a Hober tie. So I won’t speak to the fabric you would get through Hober. I have a few POW checks, including some wools, that are fully matte. I think the pattern looks great in many iterations.
Where did you happen to get yours if you don't mind me asking?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads