1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by in stitches, May 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

I recently ordered the same tie (except fina instead of grossa). It was my first Sam Hober order. It arrived Friday and is fantastic.

Agreed that it's just the right shade of blue. I was second guessing myself after ordering, wondering if I should have went with the dark navy, but I couldn't be happier.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  2. nishan22

nishan22 Active Member

It's the one that Sotiris posted: Midnight blue with white pin dot grenadine - I got the four fold out of personal preference. The six fold grenadines are really quite thick.

[​IMG]

3. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

For all interested parties, the Forest Green Grenadine is back. I'm debating if I can afford one now given all the stuf I've recently bought :\ Really want a FG tie.

4. LeviMay

LeviMay Senior member

:nodding:

Yep... Just ordered mine! I'd imagine they're going quick... Hope Mr. Hober has adequate stock on hand.

5. calidist

calidist Senior member

I've got the linen swatch set to pass on. First person to post can claim it (please pm me your address).

Update: CLAIMED!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  6. Cuttingboard

Cuttingboard Senior member

PM Sent!

7. NoCleverName

NoCleverName Senior member

Just ordered a garza fina in navy and a purple with white pin dots 6-fold lined. I'm excited to finally own some nice ties.

8. nandreetta

nandreetta Member

It was neck and neck with the midnight blue (and with a slight pang of regret when the forest green was restocked), but the (recently received) charcoal/silver grenadine garza fina won out as my wedding tie. I think it works well as a nod to classic wedding ties without descending into full-on anglophilia and works better with my mid-grey suit than would a glen plaid.

Here's a quick photo with an altogether incorrect shirt, but I'll update with proper photos later. The pocket square is also a Hober, naturally.

[​IMG]

No knot criticism please. I'm working on it.

9. Dib

Dib Senior member

These look great. How transparent are the untipped blades of the two grenadines in real life? I would assume they are relatively see-through although they look reasonably opaque in the picture - is that because they are sitting on a dark surface?

10. bullswin

bullswin Senior member

The fina is much more see-through relative to the grossa. If you like opaqueness, I'd recommend the fina; if you're not a fan of opaqueness, you should be comfortable with the grossa.

11. LeviMay

LeviMay Senior member

:paranoia:

Opaque = Not see through

12. bullswin

bullswin Senior member

^ sorry, was hungover when I typed that.

:)

13. Threadbearer

Threadbearer Senior member

Outside the Beltway but still in the Danger Zone
    I am finished drooling over the Grenadine Garza Fina swatch set that calidist was kind enough to send me. PM me if you'd like it next.

Edit: Claimed! Keep watching this space, though, because the swatch set should become available again in less than two weeks.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  14. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

After a several year online and phone friendship with David (we share a mutual interest in Hyderabad, India), I finally ordered my first Sam Hober tie. It's a fantastic tie, and I can't wait to wear it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. GradSchooler

GradSchooler Senior member

Is that a pindot garza fina?

16. GradSchooler

GradSchooler Senior member

Anyone have a solid reppe swatch set they would mind sending my way? I've got a diamond weave, solid grossa grenadine, and cashmere up for grabs via PM.

Edit: Sorry, should have been more clear. I've got swatch sets for those who want them. Not ties.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  17. Threadbearer

Threadbearer Senior member

Outside the Beltway but still in the Danger Zone

I'll take the cashmere set! PM sent.

18. Burton

Burton Senior member

If you have the grenadine swatch set I will take that. PM sent.

19. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have heard that Chiang Mai is an awesome city. I hear it is cecoming artsy and such. I'd love to get out there at some point. My girlfriend is spending a couple days there next week actually before going to Cambodia.

20. calidist

calidist Senior member

I am looking for a swatch set of the reppe solid as well. David doesn't have any available.