• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

SJR3

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Hello,

I am having a bit of a hard time determining what the appropriate length of my tie should be. I gather it depends on the knot in which case I will mostly be using four-in-hand. Would it be better to err on the side of caution and just keep it at a standard 60 inches?

Also, does anyone have pictures of a burgundy/dark red grenadine fina or promoteo? The one on page 474 seems really bright and I'd prefer it was much darker. My preference is to get something exactly like the dark red on the website, but not sure if it will actually come out like that.

Just FYI, Hober's standard length is 57 inches, not 60. Proper tie length depends on lots of factors including height, body proportions, neck size, where your pants sit on your waist, type knot you tie, how close you like the front/back blades to be relative to each other... So there really is no straightforward answer except to experiment with a tie you already have. A 57 inch tie could work perfectly for someone who is, say, 5'10", or it could be 4 inches too short.

Lots and lots of pictures have been posted in this thread of burgundy grenadines. The "gallery" section on the Hober website is a good place to look also. And just a final note that from my experience and other anecdotal discussions in this thread, images on the Hober website seem to show silks as darker than they appear in real life. As I look at it right now on my monitor, the 'dark red grenadine fina GFT-2' looks pretty much spot on to how my 'burgundy grenadine fina GFT-3' looks in real life. So yes, as mentioned above, get swatches to be sure.

Captain Waffles

Reaction score
KK - in regards to the tie length, I just tied an existing tie that I have using a four-in-hand-knot.

I am 5 ft 6. From my measurement, the small blade is 2 inches shorter than the larger blade when tied, but I prefer it to be 3 inches shorter at least. The front blade is also too long as it covers my belt by an inch (assuming that the tie should hit right AT the belt line). Would it be correct to order a 59 inch tie then (assuming the current length of my tie is 60 inches)?

Captain Waffles

Reaction score
@SJR3 - hmmm interesting because the exact shade of red that I want is the dark red grenadine fina GFT-2....but if you are saying that looks like the gft-3 which appears darker to me on my screen then that's a nogo for me.

Does 1 swatch order come with ALL of the colours associated with that type of tie? e.g. grenadine finas will have all the blues, reds, etc.?

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
KK - in regards to the tie length, I just tied an existing tie that I have using a four-in-hand-knot.

I am 5 ft 6. From my measurement, the small blade is 2 inches shorter than the larger blade when tied, but I prefer it to be 3 inches shorter at least. The front blade is also too long as it covers my belt by an inch (assuming that the tie should hit right AT the belt line). Would it be correct to order a 59 inch tie then (assuming the current length of my tie is 60 inches)?

I’m 5’9-5’10 and take a 56” Hober tie, though I do tend toward higher waisted trousers. YMMV, depending on posture, gut size, pants rise preference, etc.

SJR3

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

It's difficult to say for certain, but if you're 5'6", a 60 inch tie is probably too long for you. Just tie your 60 inch tie and make the front blade hit EXACTLY where you want it to, then decide from where the back blade is how much, if any, you need to add or subtract from 60. The guide on the website explains it pretty well. But if your back blade is 2 inches shorter than the rear blade, that's about where it should be. Personally, I like the back blade to be the same length as the front, or just slightly shorter (up to 1 inch) than the front.

Unless you have an extremely long torso, if you're 5'6" and a 60 inch tie results in the back blade being 2 inches shorter than the front (assuming the front blade hits the correct spot), I'd say there's a good chance you are wearing very low rise pants and/or aren't making your knots tight enough.

Captain Waffles

Reaction score
OK so it seems my technique was wrong. So just to confirm the correct technique is to tie it so that the front blade hits exactly where it needs to be and then determine how much shorter the small blade should be. The way I did it - I had the shorter blade end up 2 inches shorter, but the front blade was 1 inch too long.

Kelvin0683

Reaction score
I'm having this issue is well and I think I'm going to end up purchasing a tie that's 55 inches long. For reference I'm 5'9 and at the moment I'm using a double FIH since most ties are too long.

Captain Waffles

Reaction score
Does anyone have a link/guide for this length issue? I feel like all websites say is that the larger blade should hit right at the belt.

ndrew

Reaction score
Does anyone have a link/guide for this length issue? I feel like all websites say is that the larger blade should hit right at the belt.

Covering old ground here... tie your tie so that the wide blade hits your buckle, anywhere from the top to the bottom. Subtract from the skinny blade to find your desired length i.e. two inches above the wide blade as you mentioned several posts ago.

There's no hard and fast rule that says your wide blade has to be within 0.5mm of the top of your waistband or 0.25" from the bottom of your belt buckle when there's a blue moon.

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hober pocket square:
https://www.samhober.com/challis-pa...attern-challis-wool-pocket-square-chpp-6.html

D537911C-44EA-4134-B74F-BD467D082B3B.jpeg

Captain Waffles

Reaction score
Are the quality of the squares just as nice as the ties? I haven't seen much about how David's square compare to other mainstream brands.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are the quality of the squares just as nice as the ties? I haven't seen much about how David's square compare to other mainstream brands.
In order for his customers to better appreciate the craftsmanship involved he posted instructions on how to sew a hand-rolled edge on another forum and had people attempt to make their own. It gave me a better appreciation of how much work goes into these things (and now I struggled to wear any squares with machine-sewn edges :( ).

SJR3

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm beginning to wonder if @Captain Waffles is trolling us. Guy asked these same questions back around the New Year and then, as now, received many helpful, clear, detailed replies. Seriously, this ain't rocket science. As @ndrew said, you don't have to have your tie end EXACTLY at a precise point on your waistband. It's just a ballpark. Your pants aren't going to stay at the same place throughout the day anyway as you move about and adjust them (unless you use suspenders). Some guys will have their tie extend a bit lower (just don't go into Trump territory), some barely reaching the top of the belt/waistband... There's room for error and personal preference...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads