1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by in stitches, May 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. DCTieGuy

DCTieGuy Well-Known Member

I have an older midnight grossa that is often confused by others for being black. Between the two, I’d go with the soft navy.

2. CLTesquire

CLTesquire Senior Member

I wear the midnight with blue and brown stripes all the time. Super useful.

I also have the midnight grossa, a fina #10, and promoteo #7 and there is plenty of difference in color between all 3 to merit owning them all.

I will caution you that the promoteo #7 is beginning to get out of the navy territory and into the blue category. I’d worry that soft navy, which is supposed to be lighter, is just “blue.”

3. SJR3

SJR3 Senior Member

I'm a big fan of piccola #22 and prometeo #23, which Hober calls "dark navy blue"--a perfect description. It falls somewhere in the middle to darker range of the spectrum; it's definitely a navy blue (as opposed to just "blue"), but not quite so dark that it ever looks black, like the Hober "midnight" grenadines tend to do as has been pointed out.

I can post pics if interested.

I'll also say that if you wear ties often, and like blue ties (who doesn't?), then I agree with @CLTesquire and can absolutely see merit to owning several of the various shades and weaves Hober offers.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018 at 4:13 PM

4. marker2037

marker2037 Senior Member

That's exactly what I'm worried about with the soft navy. I mean I could definitely wear it, but it might not be the true "navy" that I'm looking for.

I would be interested in seeing those pics if you don't mind. I also thought that the "dark navy blue" would be a nice choice, but I don't love the prometeo as much as the grossa weave.

5. jdp234

jdp234 Senior Member

The “navy” grenadine is definitely very much lighter than what I think of as “navy.” But that said it is still a massively useful color to have.

6. marker2037

marker2037 Senior Member

No doubt. And I'm sure, in time, this discussion will be pointless as I'll have both lol.

7. CLTesquire

CLTesquire Senior Member

If it were me and I was only purchasing one navy tie I would get the dark navy promoteo or piccola. The step below is not navy enough to be “the” navy tie in a wardrobe and soft navy won’t be either.

I have grossa and promoteo ties and they are both large weaves. I’ve never wished the promoteo tie that I have was a grossa.

Truthfully, these days I prefer the tighter weaves and would go piccola in this instance.

Final advice, after you pick your navy tie, do consider a grenadine in slate blue. I get a ton of wear out of that color.

8. jdp234

jdp234 Senior Member

This is a roughly color accurate pic of the grosso navy, pls enjoy.

C82F5E4C-808D-4888-A551-5AFB2AE521E1.jpeg

9. marker2037

marker2037 Senior Member

Sound advice, and I will definitely add slate blue in the future, but want to start with the more navy's first. The piccola suggestion is a great one, but I want a larger weave with the navy as I'm already getting a piccola in a dark off white (thanks to @SJR3 for the suggestion) and also plan on getting a fina in dark chocolate at some point.

10. marker2037

marker2037 Senior Member

Very nice, although certainly a lighter blue than typical navy IMO. This is #10 or #11?

11. SJR3

SJR3 Senior Member

Sure, I'll post pics later today/tomorrow.

Have you seen both a prometeo weave and a grossa next to each other? They look (and feel) extremely similar. I'd say that unless you are intently studying the intricacies of the different weaves up close, you really won't notice a practical difference. Piccola vs. fina are even more similar to each other to my eye--essentially they are the same thing, just from different (but both Italian) fabric mills.

Anyway, perhaps I am exaggerating the similarity, but it's the impression I got having owned all 4 grenadine weaves, but currently only own ties in 2 of the 4. What I'm getting at is don't consider grenadine ties in 4 distinct weaves; just think "large" or "small", then pick your color.

+1 to all of this. I have come to prefer the smaller weaves as well, though still have plenty of love for the larger weaves.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018 at 12:21 AM