1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by in stitches, May 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Quesjac

Quesjac Senior Member

I'd avoided saying it but since you're asking on various threads I follow curiosity has gotten the better of me: why would a wedding have a 'theme', and why would that dictate your tie? I don't see why a good shepherd's check tie or (my preference) navy grenadine would look out of place regardless of the colour of anything else. In any case, even if you are dead set on a beige tie it seems to me like you're worrying too much about matching a colour precisely when it's not like you'll be tieing your tie around anything else of the same colour.

2. jdp234

jdp234 Senior Member

Because 'MERICA. Wedding color schemes where the groomsmen's ties match the bridesmaids' dresses match the flowers match the toilet paper are quite common here. Not sure if that simply isn't the case in the UK or if you are being a little bit snarky. But that is why.

Note that I do not approve of the practice and it would take some fairly dramatic horsetrading to get me on board with it in a hypothetical future wedding, but descriptively, it is what it is.

As apology for that off topic post, here is a picture of me in a Sam Hober wedding tie, while attending a wedding. Look at that knot!

8413BC84-3B0B-4454-8E5B-BDD659FD64F7.jpeg

3. Quesjac

Quesjac Senior Member

Not common here so far as I know. Bridesmaids coordinated with one another, yes, but I rarely see this kind of thing.

Anyhow, I think going after the same shade as your toilet paper is a bit of a fool's errand, even if it was chromatically identical, different textures make the same colour appear differently, so your grenadine is never going to perfectly match satin or lillies or whatever else. I think you should just get an approximate match and make your peace with it.

Edit, didn't see the photo before, it looks great.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018 at 2:47 PM

4. marker2037

marker2037 Senior Member

The theme is just something (a color in this case) to build the wedding around. So along with the bridesmaids dresses being champagne-ish, we have other accents like napkins and flowers etc. that will also incorporate that color somehow. Anyway, I feel like a light colored tie is appropriate for a wedding as a groom and the fiancé likes it too, so the fiancé gets what she wants. We had debated silver or light pink, but we decided on champagne. I think the color goes well with my suit.

Pretty much, but as you can notice I am not in America. So it's not just an American thing, although I'm sure it's spawned from there.

(I am an American though, just don't live there anymore)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018 at 6:19 AM

5. Itsuo

Itsuo Senior Member

I did a quick search but couldn’t find any results on this thread.

What, if any, category of Hober tie would be “50 oz” solid and patterned ties. I have a number of excellent Hober grenadines that must be close to 5 years old and are still looking great. I’d like to come back for some more traditional silk ties but prefer the types that are usually lableled “50 oz silk” by other makers.

Thanks!

6. CLTesquire

CLTesquire Senior Member

You'd probably be satisfied with any of the Macclesfield silk ties. I don't know that they are that weight but they are hefty to me.

7. DCTieGuy

DCTieGuy Well-Known Member

I really like your Prince of Whales tie and have thought about getting myself one, but then I wonder how much would I actually get to wear it. Seems a bit formal, but then again I guess it's just like any other tie, right? Is yours a regular part of your rotation?

8. Patrick R

Patrick R Distinguished Member

IMO it is a bit formal and my silk POW tie finds its way into the rotation for weddings and similar events. I have wool POW ties with overchecks that are less formal and find their way into more standard rotations.

9. jdp234

jdp234 Senior Member

I don’t think average joe recognizes it as a wedding tie or anything. It gets pulled out reasonably often when I’m shooting for formality — prettt much always with navy suit white shirt.

10. DCTieGuy

Since I wear a suit every day for work, you're saying that its basically appropriate for every day? LOL

11. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Distinguished Member

If I could wear only one outfit, navy suit, white shirt, POW tie, white hank, and black captoes would be it for sure. I think it's just a really sharp look. Combine that with the likelihood that few (if any) people in the non-SF world would equate a POW tie with weddings, it's a tie I would happily wear in all settings.

12. CLTesquire

CLTesquire Senior Member

A black/white or navy/white POW, shepherd's check, or houndstooth tie are all great ties. Just wear them with a more formal suit (solid navy is excellent) in the manner in which @ericgereghty describes and you can't go wrong.

13. DCTieGuy

I usually wear brown shoes with my navy suits, which I'm guessing wouldn't look great with a POW tie. Guessing a POW tie would also work with a charcoal suit with black shoes?

14. jdp234

jdp234 Senior Member

Might be a lot of grey, but I’d be interested to see it.