Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by in stitches, May 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. applky

applky Senior member

Did you clean the tie off yourself, or take it to Tiecrafters (or somewhere else)? I actually really would like to know the details of how you cleaned it, for future reference.

(By future reference I of course mean future car bombs.)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012

2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I would think it hard to clean a grenadine yourself because of the weave. Also, whatever you get on it is sure to stain the interfacing, which depending on construction could also be seen through the weave. I am not that nitpicky with cleaning my clothes, I don't do it often honestly, (suits and ties) so I don't feel it worth it to go out of my way too much. There is a dry cleaner up the street from where I live where I can talk directly to the person doing the work, which is good. I just threw the tie over his head strangled him and and said, "You clean this, you hear!??! When you are done cleaning it, Don't press it! If I see any signs of pressing I'll hang you with this muthafucka, got it!?!?!"

No, but it all seriousness, I just pointed out the dribble and I told him not to press it flat. Came back looking like it did when I got it from David.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012

3. applky

applky Senior member

^ Wow, that is some dry cleaner! I have had such terrible dry cleaning experiences in New York. I only trust Tie Crafters with my ties, but maybe I should have more faith.

How do you have your grenadines from Hober constructed?

4. patrickBOOTH

Yes, I actually picked up a suit from them last night. I remembered telling the guy please don't press the lapels and be careful. It came back with perfectly rolled lapels and everything. It is a hidden gem. A little hole in the wall place that shuttered and has a new owner. Things are looking good. I knew they were worth trying after I brought some of my girlfriend's badly soiled clothes and they took a really long time to finish them. They explained their soaking process and all. Didn't do anything abraisive. I was impressed.

Lined 6-fold.

5. applky

applky Senior member

^ I'm just about to contact David about ordering and had also been thinking lined 6-fold, but so many here say that they find that 4-fold is fine. I've always found 6-fold so much nicer -- glad to see you do as well. David, of course, will have some good thoughts of his own.

6. patrickBOOTH

4 Fold is fine, but 6 has better drape and ups the luxury a bit. I mean If I wanted a four fold I could just go to J. Press and buy one. David's 6 folds are special.

7. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

This. I ordered one of each to start with to evaluate the difference. My future orders will be 6-folds.

8. Cuttingboard

Cuttingboard Senior member

Have you ever had a tie narrowed at Tie Crafters? I have a couple ties that are too wide.

9. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor

Quote:
    I sold a tie to someone who paid me extra to take it to Tie Crafters to have it narrowed. (I am in NY they are in Canada)

I didn't hear any complaints from them.

10. nishan22

nishan22 Active Member

Any one have any pics of the grenadine garza pin dots in action? Have been thinking about a couple of them for a while - just need a little push to make the order.

11. Tommi

Tommi Senior member

Got this today:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's charcoal grey / silver garza grossa grenadine and my first Hober tie. I have to say I'm more than pleased. Special thanks for the possibility to have it in desired length and width. That's why the four-in-hand knot (and tie length, too) is just perfect, at least in my opinion. Oh, and please don't mind my unbuttoned "at home" collar.

Thank you David! :worship:

12. patrickBOOTH

13. patrickBOOTH

Btw, I somehow dripped something else on the tie. :fu: :facepalm: What is wrong with me?

14. Cuttingboard

Thanks David. I have a couple ralph lauren ties that I would like to have taken apart, cleaned and refolded. And a Dunhill tie that I would like to have narrowed.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012

15. Cuttingboard

I didn't think so...will have to send to tie crafters.