A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by in stitches, May 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. applky

applky Senior member

Did you clean the tie off yourself, or take it to Tiecrafters (or somewhere else)? I actually really would like to know the details of how you cleaned it, for future reference.

(By future reference I of course mean future car bombs.)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012

2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I would think it hard to clean a grenadine yourself because of the weave. Also, whatever you get on it is sure to stain the interfacing, which depending on construction could also be seen through the weave. I am not that nitpicky with cleaning my clothes, I don't do it often honestly, (suits and ties) so I don't feel it worth it to go out of my way too much. There is a dry cleaner up the street from where I live where I can talk directly to the person doing the work, which is good. I just threw the tie over his head strangled him and and said, "You clean this, you hear!??! When you are done cleaning it, Don't press it! If I see any signs of pressing I'll hang you with this muthafucka, got it!?!?!"

No, but it all seriousness, I just pointed out the dribble and I told him not to press it flat. Came back looking like it did when I got it from David.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012

3. applky

applky Senior member

^ Wow, that is some dry cleaner! I have had such terrible dry cleaning experiences in New York. I only trust Tie Crafters with my ties, but maybe I should have more faith.

How do you have your grenadines from Hober constructed?

4. patrickBOOTH

Yes, I actually picked up a suit from them last night. I remembered telling the guy please don't press the lapels and be careful. It came back with perfectly rolled lapels and everything. It is a hidden gem. A little hole in the wall place that shuttered and has a new owner. Things are looking good. I knew they were worth trying after I brought some of my girlfriend's badly soiled clothes and they took a really long time to finish them. They explained their soaking process and all. Didn't do anything abraisive. I was impressed.

Lined 6-fold.

5. applky

applky Senior member

^ I'm just about to contact David about ordering and had also been thinking lined 6-fold, but so many here say that they find that 4-fold is fine. I've always found 6-fold so much nicer -- glad to see you do as well. David, of course, will have some good thoughts of his own.

6. patrickBOOTH

4 Fold is fine, but 6 has better drape and ups the luxury a bit. I mean If I wanted a four fold I could just go to J. Press and buy one. David's 6 folds are special.

7. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

This. I ordered one of each to start with to evaluate the difference. My future orders will be 6-folds.

8. Cuttingboard

Cuttingboard Senior member

Have you ever had a tie narrowed at Tie Crafters? I have a couple ties that are too wide.

9. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Quote:
    I sold a tie to someone who paid me extra to take it to Tie Crafters to have it narrowed. (I am in NY they are in Canada)

I didn't hear any complaints from them.

10. nishan22

nishan22 Active Member

Any one have any pics of the grenadine garza pin dots in action? Have been thinking about a couple of them for a while - just need a little push to make the order.

11. Tommi

Tommi Senior member

Got this today:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's charcoal grey / silver garza grossa grenadine and my first Hober tie. I have to say I'm more than pleased. Special thanks for the possibility to have it in desired length and width. That's why the four-in-hand knot (and tie length, too) is just perfect, at least in my opinion. Oh, and please don't mind my unbuttoned "at home" collar.

Thank you David! :worship:

12. patrickBOOTH

13. patrickBOOTH

Btw, I somehow dripped something else on the tie. :fu: :facepalm: What is wrong with me?

14. Cuttingboard

Thanks David. I have a couple ralph lauren ties that I would like to have taken apart, cleaned and refolded. And a Dunhill tie that I would like to have narrowed.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012

15. Cuttingboard

I didn't think so...will have to send to tie crafters.