1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by in stitches, May 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. LynahFaithful

LynahFaithful Senior member

Probably not for a wedding, but for general use, the Purple & Black grossa is a great tie.

2. cbbuff

cbbuff Senior member

The forest green is out of stock if he needs this now.

3. LeviMay

LeviMay Senior member

Sure... PM me an address and they're yours.

4. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

+1. Also love navy blue and the bitter chocolate with my medium grey suit. Not sure about the best color for a wedding, though.

5. nandreetta

nandreetta Member

Thanks for the all the feedback. I didn't expect to get so much of it and was mainly posting the swatches for others' use.

I agree with the several people who like the forest green, but I'd need it for May so the fact that it's out of stock probably rules it out. Plus, the bride will wear red shoes and, while I don't want to match anything, I don't want to clash either (or evoke Christmas).

In my mind, it's down to the navy/dark navy or the charcoal/silver. I think the former looks a bit better with the suit and is a combo for the ages, but the latter is a bit more formal and appropriate for a wedding. Not that formal is everything here; the bride's wearing red shoes after all.

Thanks again.

6. Cuttingboard

Cuttingboard Senior member

Done...many thanks!!

7. Threadbearer

Threadbearer Senior member

Outside the Beltway but still in the Danger Zone
    Step right up, gentlemen! I still have a Hober linen swatch set available for free to he who asks first.

8. Robstrongo

Robstrongo Senior member

Maybe this is a dumb question, but I want to order a couple ties from the site in 8.5cm width, and do not see where anywhere on the site how to specify this option. Do I need to email them?

9. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

You can put that in the 'notes' on your order, but probably easier just to email them.

10. tdude

tdude Senior member

I have a Macclesfield Madder swatch set from Threadbearer free to the first one who pm's me an address and agrees to pass it on. (The colors are stunning, so much richer than the internet pics).

this set has been claimed

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  11. bullswin

bullswin Senior member

^^ and I think there's a note on the site mentioning that David's traveling this week, so emailing with him now might not be as speedy as usual.

If this is your first order, I definitely recommend having some communication with David before placing it. There are likely to be minor details you'll think about or questions you'll have at the last second.

12. bullswin

bullswin Senior member

You people are crazy for not snapping up this swatch set. :) To tempt you, here's a pic of three Hober ties. From L to R: dark navy fina grenadine, striped grossa grenadine, and midnight blue linen. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
    2 people like this.
  13. Pluripotent

Pluripotent Well-Known Member

14. applky

applky Senior member

By which I meant, yes you are the only one.

15. applky

applky Senior member

Fantastic!

Details on construction? Hand-rolled edges?

16. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

Didn't realize David could do a contrasting edge.

17. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

I have the middle one. Very understated and looks much better IRL.

18. bullswin

bullswin Senior member

Thanks.

Yeah, just hand rolled edges; no other special requests or construction options went into these (i.e., just standard 3 or 4 fold construction).

19. applky

applky Senior member

I have been waiting for a restock on that particular striped grenadine for quite a while! Looking forward to ordering and receiving one of my own.

Thank you for the details. I default to lightly-lined or unlined six-fold construction with hand rolled edges. I have a feeling that these would look great unlined, if casual.

20. alexSF

alexSF Senior member

Thanks for your response.
    I know your attention to details and really appreciate your work, and I dislike how much you the edges poor stitched (sometimes machine-made that imitate handwork) but I did not speak of that case.
    Yes, probably my point of view depends as I am an Italian, I simply prefer the romantic look of different but equally well made edge, with various twists and irregularities (that for me not mean imperfections)
    The target to have such a regular and circular edge is clearly visible for me, but for me it makes them so static and inanimate.
    I think that both kind of edges are and well made and well stitched, simply in a different way.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012