• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nice. I love weddings. I haven't worn any from Hober but I have a silver Glen Plaid tie that I think looks great with a white shirt and navy suit. Break out the cufflinks and you're good to go. Here is how I did it, but I think substituting any of Hober's wedding ties would look great, too. If you really wanted to be different you could do a wedding bowtie. I've been rolling that one around in my head for a while.

Screen Shot 2017-10-04 at 8.04.45 AM.png

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, that's the classic choice, quite nice if less formal than a smaller pattern. Love the ivory silk (still looking for a good one myself).

I have many grey, silver, black and white etc. ties, know the formality ladder (shepherd > tooth > plaid), been there done that, etc. (my Hober is houndstooth as posted before). What I'm interested in is ideas for staying within the realm of CM but going beyond silver/grey.

At my own wedding, two guests wore dark red printed silk ties, which in theory are not a great idea, but neither stood out. One of them wore his with an ivory linen suit. The look was surprisingly good. Now I wonder if I can pull it off, although my only similar tie is a plain burgundy self-herringbone and I wouldn't wear a linen suit or indeed a light coloured suit. Then there is the light blue option, which can either look great or tremendously boring with a navy suit. What other colours work well? What might one want to avoid in summer brightness, in winter darkness?

DCTieGuy

Reaction score
2F40EA51-A55B-4B3D-B516-C622A4C9E765.jpeg
Wearing one of my first Hobers with a new suit today. The suit is a custom Hart Schaffner Marx and the color is a bit lighter than I hoped. Pro tip: don’t pick out suit fabrics from a small swatch, particularly if you are little colorblind.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not big on the collar bar, and doubt I ever will be, but the skeleton of that outfit (navy suit, white shirt, "wedding" tie) is perfect to me. If I had to have one uniform to wear every day for the rest of my life, that would be it.

stro

Reaction score
low quality photo of high quality neckwear:

20170708_211006.jpg

hober houndstooth wedding selfie, with whatever the hell the bar was serving and an out of control wave PS. this was taken at someone else's wedding, but my wedding was this tie's maiden voyage. this and my chocolate brown grenadine are my two favorite ties.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Excellent shots. The houndstooth has a smaller pattern than mine (or you are much taller than me), which I think works even better.

Do you ever wear your chocolate grenadine as a wedding guest? I have one that wants to leap out and join my midnight blue merino suit at the next one.

stro

Reaction score
i haven't worn the chocolate grenadine to a wedding because i find myself second guessing the footwear part of the equation when i have otherwise been about to do it. but i did cut my groomsmen loose for my own (read: i gave them ~20 options from hober and kent wang) and two of them chose light blue grenadines of different weaves from hober (read: they chose the same exact damn tie so one of them got something close-ish). i thought the grenadines looked very at home next to more "proper" wedding ties, at least in person:

hobersandawang.png

from l-r: hober powder blue grenadine fina; kent wang shepherd's check; hober black and white houndstooth #2; hober sky blue piccola grenadine; hober midnight blue and white POW ...and there is about a 48% chance i've flipped which grenadine is which. sorry!

anyway: shoes that are appropriate for a wedding but also for a navy/midnight navy and chocolate combination? i think the closest in my collection to a good fit there is a dark burgundy captoe. maybe i'll have to try it out...

[and as you may have noticed either from the specific reference to the hober houndstooth i own or the fact that a sizeable chunk of my face falls below 3/4 of my closest friends' shoulder lines even when i cheat and rotate the picture 20 degrees counterclockwise... i am probably no taller than you are :lookaround:]

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great shot!

You know, I always find myself thinking, damn, those Hober knots are huge. But once you put them in context, step back a few meters, and pair them with normal sized lapels instead of the thin fashionable ones, it is the smaller knots that look off, especially for such occasions.

Footwear choice would be easier for me. It'd be in Australia, so damn the rules and out come the dark brown RMs... (I did polish the end).

I can't get over how good CM's ivory square looks with a wedding tie. I think it's time I got my own. Goodbye linen white.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great shot!

You know, I always find myself thinking, damn, those Hober knots are huge. But once you put them in context, step back a few meters, and pair them with normal sized lapels instead of the thin fashionable ones, it is the smaller knots that look off, especially for such occasions.

Footwear choice would be easier for me. It'd be in Australia, so damn the rules and out come the dark brown RMs... (I did polish the end).

I can't get over how good CM's ivory square looks with a wedding tie. I think it's time I got my own. Goodbye linen white.
The exact square is escaping, but I believe Hober offers a linen/cotton one (maybe under the Riva grouping) that is either a super dull white, or plain cream.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@stro 's Great Chocolate Tie at a Wedding Dilemma. Could it be your subconscious reservation isn't about footwear?

To me the threshold question is whether you stick with the SF wedding orthodoxy of a white shirt, navy suit, and black stitchcaps (I'm not knocking it; it's my default wedding uniform, too.)

I wear my chocolate Hober mostly with light blue shirts and, if the mood strikes, a light pink one. Once I start down that road, I'm probably going to wear burg or brown oxfords anyway. But I'd be fine wearing that as a guest at a wedding, even though that's not what I usually wear.

I just think that chocolate looks so much better against a non-white background.

stro

Reaction score
that probably is a better way to frame the question than the way i did it. i too am fine dispensing with the "uniform" approach as a guest, at least for some of the weddings i go to (i've been the recipient of some odd dress codes over the last few years). at that point, no real reason to balk at the chocolate at all. this is a revelation on my end because it means there's a chance i'll be able to identify a specific wedding months later from my future garbage quality selfies!

SJR3

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I just think that chocolate looks so much better against a non-white background.

Agreed. I love brown ties with light blue shirts. But I'd never wear a brown tie with a white shirt.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Agreed. I love brown ties with light blue shirts. But I'd never wear a brown tie with a white shirt.

I used to feel the same way, and in general, I prefer brown ties with blue shirts or blue stripes shirts,but brown ties and white shirts absolutely work. It just has to be the right brown.

B1DA9D7E-820E-4AE1-9B7B-ABEC9458C5CD.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads