A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by in stitches, May 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. crdb

crdb Senior member

It really depends on context, though. Yes, I'd love to wear it in a suited context, and if I were in London or Geneva still it would be a no brainer (and I've visited Australian clubland a few times this year where it might also have worked well - it is in the shoes that the local clubman sins).

However, in Singapore the most formal people get is a crisp poplin white shirt and navy suit trousers in a lightweight fabric (usually tropical wool). Even in clubs or to see a concert, it is rare to see a jacket let alone a tie - so I default to a lighter, more appropriate tie just as you probably wouldn't want to go to work in a stroller in Chicago today, even if it was perfectly acceptable (if old fashioned) in mid-20th century London. Not to mention that Singapore is still relatively "British" in its tastes and so thicker knots as Hobers tie can stand out (IMHO).

One of my future Hober projects when I have funds to allocate to it is to have my alumnus ties redone "properly", particularly the bow ties. It is frustrating that Ryder Amies and the like choose cheap construction.

2. crdb

crdb Senior member

When I bought my Hober, I had about 60-80 ties. I think I've added another 40 or so since (despite wearing a tie as little as once or twice a month) and I'd still buy another Hober. Do it!

3. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

LOL- I have about five ties on heavy rotation.

4. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'm about to go off to be a starving grad student for a bit, so I tried to cut it down to that level to make travel less stressful. So far, no luck.
    But if I had to be intelligent and thrifty about it (apart from required black or white bowties):
    • Midnight blue (something plain-- Oxford, Mogador, or faille). Goes with most everything.
    • College tie. Hey, why not?
    • Previous college or university tie. (As above.)
    • Denman & Goddard house tie. Looks like a club or regimental pattern but won't invite scorn or envy for being the wrong one-- or for pretending too hard.
    • Something Macclesfield-ish to go with a suit during the day.
    But even that leaves a few permutations out. I'll know after a few months what I really don't have to plan for. Still, there may be some odd times when a black reppe/Mogador will be required for concerts and elderly relatives...
    In the meantime, maybe lose one of the striped ties to go with a wine-colored one.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017 at 7:19 PM

5. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

6. crdb

crdb Senior member

I hesitate to point this out on an affiliate thread but you can build up your collection easily if you visit thrift shops or get them on auction sides (I have some Drake, Hermes, Dormeuil, Talbott etc. this way - I would never pay retail for Drake's or Hermes). I also have a lot of ties because they're spread on 3 continents, and each location needs its own collection and is relatively adapted to the local weather and light conditions.

However, there is immense joy in getting exactly what you like built by a professional. Is there much difference? Sort of, but most of the enjoyment is knowing you had it made, the experience, etc. which you will remember every time you put it on. I even enjoy just glimpsing it on its rack, when I'm grabbing something else. The other thing is that the company does not waste gigantic amounts of money on marketing, which means what you pay for is literally his staff pulling some well chosen silk out of storage, measuring, cutting and folding it, sewing the whole thing together and sending it to you in a nice box with a nice note. Phenomenal value for money. To give you an idea, Komehyo in Tokyo (a refurbished, "in good condition only" luxury store) used to sell used Hermes ties for $30-40; now they're about $80 which is on par with a new Hober. Why would I buy the Hermes?

FWIW I think the midnight or navy grenadine look is getting too common, and I haven't worn a tie in that shade of any material for a year or two. If I were to get a grenadine today it would be in a dark green of sorts, perhaps Hober's forest green. My collection definitely doesn't have enough green. But David Hober has so many other options (e.g. the wool challis). I sometimes get lost on that site for half an hour just browsing the possibilities.