A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by in stitches, May 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. crdb

crdb Senior member

It really depends on context, though. Yes, I'd love to wear it in a suited context, and if I were in London or Geneva still it would be a no brainer (and I've visited Australian clubland a few times this year where it might also have worked well - it is in the shoes that the local clubman sins).

However, in Singapore the most formal people get is a crisp poplin white shirt and navy suit trousers in a lightweight fabric (usually tropical wool). Even in clubs or to see a concert, it is rare to see a jacket let alone a tie - so I default to a lighter, more appropriate tie just as you probably wouldn't want to go to work in a stroller in Chicago today, even if it was perfectly acceptable (if old fashioned) in mid-20th century London. Not to mention that Singapore is still relatively "British" in its tastes and so thicker knots as Hobers tie can stand out (IMHO).

One of my future Hober projects when I have funds to allocate to it is to have my alumnus ties redone "properly", particularly the bow ties. It is frustrating that Ryder Amies and the like choose cheap construction.

2. crdb

crdb Senior member

When I bought my Hober, I had about 60-80 ties. I think I've added another 40 or so since (despite wearing a tie as little as once or twice a month) and I'd still buy another Hober. Do it!