• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Best ask for swatches. David can advise on delivery time. It's not usually that big a deal, assuming you aren't being married this weekend.

+1. Also, I do not think the second tie is one of David's grenadines. Looks like an oxford weave or something similar.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
One of David's mogador stripe ties. For the curious, it kind of feels like in Irish Poplin tie. Glad I snapped one of these up.

mgdt1.jpg

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I got a midnight blue Mogador, and it has the potential to be in the "if you only had one" category.

Richie418

Reaction score
Hi - new here but I'm considering a Sam Hober tie for my upcoming wedding - I'll be wearing a navy blue suit and I'm thinking of buying a dark green tie. I've found two pictures online claiming to be Sam Hober Forest Green but both look to be wildly different. I'm looking for the colour in the first picture (Grey Chalk Stripe) - can anyone with experience with the Forest Green Grenadine help? would the variations of knit on the grenadine influence the colour?

One final thing - can anyone advise on typical turnaround incl. delivery to the UK?

3753f8d85b0535122ae9f29483ae6279.jpg

a82cc67a1336767f474a0efd0eb8e5f3.jpg
The second tie does not look like a grenadine, maybe a Diamond Weave or Oxford? The Hober's do vary color wise in different weaves and materials .. in other words a Forest Green Fina, Grossa and Diamond Weave will all have a bit of variance. I do feel the Fina you've shown here and is a fairly close representation of that tie, I have one and wear it often, great tie.

stro

Reaction score
Hi - new here but I'm considering a Sam Hober tie for my upcoming wedding - I'll be wearing a navy blue suit and I'm thinking of buying a dark green tie. I've found two pictures online claiming to be Sam Hober Forest Green but both look to be wildly different. I'm looking for the colour in the first picture (Grey Chalk Stripe) - can anyone with experience with the Forest Green Grenadine help? would the variations of knit on the grenadine influence the colour?
agree that swatches are a good idea.

the second is "forest green diamond weave," and per the owner, "IRL it's a darker and more pure green" -- original: https://www.styleforum.net/threads/...reciation-thread.245529/page-106#post-6175188

varsityreds0123

Reaction score
The Hober oxford weave tie is absolutely beautiful and knots with relative ease. It's underrated, for sure.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes that's the one. The picture probably has more contrast than IRL. The white is what I would call off-white, or sand. To give you an idea, the trousers are not truly white here either, they are Lands End's off white/sand chinos.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I got a midnight blue Mogador, and it has the potential to be in the "if you only had one" category.
Correction-- I think the one I like so much is the midnight faille. The one that is probably mogador is a lighter blue. Hard to say, as I can't find the invoice for the darker one to confirm. It's a hair finer than what I'd imagine the reppe to be.

Anyway, get as many midnight ties as you can-- you will always find a use for them.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads