• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

CLTesquire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They aren't brokering anything if your order is less than $800.

LAluck5

Reaction score

Speaking of import fees/taxes, can any Hober customers in the US speak to whether or not there are any hidden fees from the postal service when shipping to the US? I think there's a limit that was previously raised to like $800, but international shipping taxes is something I have zero experience with.

I'll let you know if anything happens with my 3 ties I just ordered but I shouldn't have a problem. They just raised the import rate to $800.

CharlesThe1337

Reaction score

I'll let you know if anything happens with my 3 ties I just ordered but I shouldn't have a problem. They just raised the import rate to $800.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Currently trying to decide between a Hober (probably a reppe twill) or an ancient madder from another maker. I really want to see what madder is all about, but I'm not a huge fan of the large paisley patterns that are only available through David. I prefer the macclesfield type patterns on ancient madders. So I'm giving it some thought currently.

Regardless, I have a long list of grenadines and macclesfields that caught my eye. So when it is time for those, the shipping info will be helpful! Thanks again everyone.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Speaking of import fees/taxes, can any Hober customers in the US speak to whether or not there are any hidden fees from the postal service when shipping to the US? I think there's a limit that was previously raised to like $800, but international shipping taxes is something I have zero experience with.

I've yet to exceed $800 on a single order, so can't speak to that, but no additional/hidden fees from my experience.

Even DHL shipping (to the US, at least) is more than fair. I think shipping for me was $11 or so and the order arrived 2 days after shipment.

ny3pcg

Reaction score
Debating between the midnight blue and soft navy grenadine fina. Would probably go for the navy if it were available, but between the two, which one do you guys consider more versatile? I currently don't own any solid navy ties and would primarily wear it with a light grey suit and light blue shirt.

LAluck5

Reaction score

I've yet to exceed $800 on a single order, so can't speak to that, but no additional/hidden fees from my experience.

Even DHL shipping (to the US, at least) is more than fair. I think shipping for me was $11 or so and the order arrived 2 days after shipment.

DHL >>> royal air/USPS

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Debating between the midnight blue and soft navy grenadine fina. Would probably go for the navy if it were available, but between the two, which one do you guys consider more versatile? I currently don't own any solid navy ties and would primarily wear it with a light grey suit and light blue shirt.

I think both are pretty versatile, but in your case (often using light blue shirt and lighter colored suit), the darker version may be more useful. It will work with light blue (and other colored) shirts and white shirts, and the darker tie will provide a nice visual contrast with the light grey suit as well.

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Fina is bit darker than grossa so I personally would go with soft navy. But neither choice is wrong.

Renphie

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a burgundy tie and would appreciate any opinions. Currently my top choice is this burgundy Macclesfield tie:
https://www.samhober.com/macclesfie...undy-macclesfield-print-silk-tie-mct-357.html

I want a burgundy that isn't too purple; for reference, the burgundy grenadine ties look too purple on my monitor. I almost exclusively wear solid-colored dress shirts (sky blue and white), which is why I think a patterned tie is more suiting than the dark red grenadine gross (currently sold out), but I plan to expand my shirt selection in the future.

Thanks!

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You really don't need our endorsement for that one. It's a classic-- as are several others on that site.

zeero3

Reaction score
5 years since I purchased my first Hober--won't stop now.......:slayer:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads