• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

After spending far too much time trying to narrow down the choices, this really does seem to be the only viable solution. It only leaves the question of grossa or fina?

You def need both :devil:

Seriously though, I have swatches of both, and grossa really works better with some jacket weaves and patterns, fina much better with others.

Last edited:

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After spending far too much time trying to narrow down the choices, this really does seem to be the only viable solution. It only leaves the question of grossa or fina?

You def need both :devil:

Seriously though, I have swatches of both, and grossa really works better with some jacket weaves and patterns, fina much better with others.

OK - so you're saying my plan to buy all of the grossa colors needs to be amended to include all of the fina colors as well. Dude, my better half is going to want to have little talk with you. I'm not sure I can push $2500 worth of new ties through the pipeline without some help from the team!

:cloud:

nishan22

Reaction score
Does anyone have the garza pin dot ties? Interested in seeing what it looks like in action.

softy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do kind of like a thick tie...but I'll wait and see how the 4 fold turns out before ordering my next grenadine...which will probably be either dark navy or midnight blue

I'm in the same boat as you. I do like a plumply thick tie at times. Let's try the 4-fold and see how that works. The material is quite porous so I wonder if it won't seem too lightweight.
We can always order many more trials... it's fun to experiment.
smile.gif

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

OK - so you're saying my plan to buy all of the grossa colors needs to be amended to include all of the fina colors as well. Dude, my better half is going to want to have little talk with you. I'm not sure I can push $2500 worth of new ties through the pipeline without some help from the team!
:cloud:

Well one way to do it is just to order half the colors in grossa, half in fina...then it's the same cost :decisions:

tchoy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I got my navy grossa 6-fold but ordered the bitter chocolate as a 4-fold and cashmere as a 3-fold to experiment so that for future orders i'll know if it's worth it...has anyone else done this? Are the 6-folds way better?

I order two 6-folds grossa for my first order they are beautifully constructed but I do find them too thick and bulky. My subsequent order was for a 4-fold which turn out perfect for me.

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm in the same boat as you.  I do like a plumply thick tie at times.  Let's try the 4-fold and see how that works.  The material is quite porous so I wonder if it won't seem too lightweight.
We can always order many more trials... it's fun to experiment. :)

David's grossa grenadines are not porous or light weight...their fairly beefy and very textured.

Last edited:

HarleyBob

Reaction score
I now have 90 of David's ties. I would guess that I have 20+ grenadines. They have become my go to ties. I much prefer the grossas over the finas. They are incredibly classy, tone down any patterned shirt and compliment most every suit. My favorite colors are the slate blue, olive green and the dark sienna. I have the navy, bitter chocolate, burgundy, blacks, etc., but I find the three colors above to be the most interesting and the ones I use the most.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I now have 90 of David's ties. I would guess that I have 20+ grenadines. They have become my go to ties. I much prefer the grossas over the finas. They are incredibly classy, tone down any patterned shirt and compliment most every suit. My favorite colors are the slate blue, olive green and the dark sienna. I have the navy, bitter chocolate, burgundy, blacks, etc., but I find the three colors above to be the most interesting and the ones I use the most.

Congrats, that's quite a collection! Do you agree though that the finas go better with some jackets though?

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Awesome!!! I received my first Drake's Grossa in burgundy to compare to David's and I must say, I think David's is every bit as good, actually, better than the Drake's for half the price. Glad I only paid $67 for the Drake's grenadine. Now...this doesn't mean that David gets to raise prices!!:satisfied:

Last edited:

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I received my first Drake's Grossa in burgundy to compare to David's and I must say, I think David's is every bit as good, actually, better than the Drake's for half the price.

I'll echo that sentiment. Not one of my Drakes grenadines knots as easily nor as satisfyingly as any of my Hober grenadines.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been slowly making my through this thread for ages now. The info contained here has been so enlightening. My initial thoughts of going for 6 folds may not be the best idea for all the different materials. Thanks for sharing all the knowledge (and images).

Last edited:

Renton

Reaction score

I've been slowly making my through this thread for ages now. The info contained here has been so enlightening. My initial thoughts of going for 6 folds may not be the best idea for all the different materials. Thanks for sharing all the knowledge (and images).

The three Hober ties I've ordered so far have been lined 6 folds. I like the extra thickness.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads