1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by in stitches, May 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. scurvyfreedman

scurvyfreedman Senior member

Here they are as promised. [​IMG] Not necessarily the square/tie combinations I will wear, but they are the best matches among the 3x3 that arrived today.

All look great in person. The two paisley squares have so much body to them compared to my Drakes and other silk squares. They feel incredible.

4 people like this.
  2. Marco85

Marco85 Member

this website keeps hurting my wallet lol.

@scurvyfreedman thanks for sharing, now i want to try a couple as well

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  3. Heatmiser

Heatmiser Senior member

I saw this tie on Pinterest a few days ago and believe it was made by Hober. Does anyone know what tie this is?

[​IMG]

4. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

The new Mulberrywood weave is awesome. Some of the two-tone effect of shot silk, but much more substantial even than Oxford weave without getting rustic.

5. DCTieGuy

DCTieGuy Well-Known Member

@Concordia, can you post pictures please?

6. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Senior member

Hi all, going to pop my Hober cherry, and was hoping for a bit of input regarding one of the purchases.

If y'all had to pick just one color for a grenadine, which would it be? I prefer the piccola weave, and would be shooting for the most versatile color. I'm in no way opposed to midnight/navy, but would probably prefer a different color.

7. Gavinband

Gavinband Senior member

Eric, good choice! Navy grenadine is always a safe bet. However based on your comment you should consider burgundy or bitter chocolate or perhaps forest green. The first two are pretty much staples, but I also like the third. The silver grey grenadine is also a fantastic tie with any type of navy suit.

There are also a couple nice striped grenadines too. Midnight blue with off white stripe is great, as is the midnight blue with deep red stripe.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  8. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

Have you bought swatches?

It really depends on your jackets. Navy wouldn’t be my first choice for a blue jacket, though it would work well for a light gray jacket. For a blue jacket I’d go for red (and Hober’s ‘red’ is closer to Burgundy than what most people think of as ‘red’), burgundy, or chocolate. It’s harder to generalize for a brown jacket.

Cheers,

Ac

1 person likes this.
  9. Andy57

Andy57 Senior member

Black. If not black then navy blue.

1 person likes this.
  10. ericgereghty

Thanks for the input! Boring though it may be, I'm probably leaning burgundy. Both forest and bitter chocolate look great, and will likely be added after navy/burgundy.

In regards to striped grenadines, I LOVE regular silk repps, so I will likely expand my collection in that realm before venturing into non-solid grenadines. Those two you suggested are gorgeous though.
    I agree with you regarding navy. Obviously a classic, but I think red/burgundy will get first priority. I have not bought swatches (and don't plan to for first order), but I'm going off the assumption that whichever shade I pick will be close enough to render any slight variance moot. I'm definitely not terribly picky.

Interesting. I always had a bug about black ties, but I saw a get up recently with a mid grey fresco suit and black grenadine, and I'll be damned if I didn't get over that bug. Looked marvelous.

11. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

12. ericgereghty

You sure? I'm likely looking at something incorrectly, but it seems to show that both have a fairly substantial amount left.

Maybe a recent restock?

13. CLTesquire

CLTesquire Senior member

I think you would enjoy burgundy. It is pretty dark though so be prepared. Dark red is also nice in that family. My most used is the navy fina for what it's worth and that's even with a predominantly navy suit rotation. Throughout the weaves and shades there is basically every possible shade of "navy" available.

1 person likes this.
  14. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

1 person likes this.
  15. CLTesquire

CLTesquire Senior member

Here's a shot of a burgundy Grossa in the wild.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. ericgereghty

@Academic2 it's a great thing to be wrong about [​IMG]

@CLTesquire Yep, burgundy it is!

17. Gavinband

Gavinband Senior member

Black is great. Goes nicely with a grey suit or with a crispaire brown suit if you have (or ever get). I would also suggest the silver grenadine as it really is a staple with a white shirt and navy suit.

Enjoy the burgundy.... I have no doubt you will order more. And comment above is spot on, all my deep wine or deep red neats are very close to traditional burgundy.

18. ericgereghty

I'm inclined to agree. It's taken far too long to take the Hober plunge. David is exceedingly helpful (and prompt) in responding to emails as well. Excited to take the plunge.

19. scurvyfreedman

scurvyfreedman Senior member

I have a collection of Hober grenadines. Many of them are pictured below. I ordered the navy grossa first (1) along with the grossa swatch set. Then, over the next years, I went to work. I got the dark red grossa (2) and the dark purple/black fina (3), then the black piccola (4), then the charcoal grey/silver grossa (5), then the slate blue prometeo (6), then the SF unofficial tie - the powder blue and brown on midnight blue grossa (7), most recently I've bought the bitter chocolate prometeo (8), charcoal grey and midnight blue cashmere/silk grossa (9), and forrest green and midnight blue cashmere/silk grossa (10).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That's 10 Hober grenadines. I've also got about 7 or 8 non-grenadine ties from Hober and a handful of pocket squares. I had never counted before now. Except for the odd superbly discounted Drakes tie, I only buy Hobers. The quality to price ratio is ahead of anything else I've bought and the customization is terrific. I wouldn't hesitate buying your first, but it's a slippery slope, so beware.

3 people like this.
  20. loxo

loxo Senior member

I happened to be in a similar quandary trying to decide which ties to get next, so I took a pic of all of my Hobers:

[​IMG]

Ties from L to R:
    Burnt Orange, Sky Blue & Off-White on Dark Red Pattern Challis Wool Tie #CHPT-5
    Powder Blue on Midnight Blue Pattern Wool Tie #GPWT-2
    Dark Brown Large Prince Of Wales Silk Tie #PWT-2
    Midnight Blue & White Prince Of Wales Silk Tie #PWT-5
    Navy Blue & White on Sky Blue Flower Silk Tie # 15
    Dark Red & White On Midnight Blue Grenadine Fina Stripe Silk Tie #4
    Charcoal Gray/Silver Grenadine Grossa Silk Tie #GGT-21

Swatches from Top to Bottom:
    Formal/Wedding Silk Stripe Tie #WDST-4
    Light Blue & Lavender Pattern Silk Tie #EPT-27
    Sky Blue/Silver Grenadine Grossa Silk Tie #GGT-22
    Navy Grenadine Grossa Silk Tie #GGT-10
    Midnight Blue Piccola Grenadine Silk Tie #GPT-7
    Midnight Blue Grenadine Grossa Silk Tie #GGT-8

For me, the Dark Red/Midnight Blue grenadine stripe is the most appealing, but it is so regimented I don't get to wear it enough. I get the most wear out of the Navy/Sky Blue flower tie.
    I am almost certain that my next tie will be the midnight blue piccola grenadine.

2 people like this.