1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by in stitches, May 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Andy57

Andy57 Senior member

The Olive Macclesfield, MCDT-1, today:

[​IMG]

9 people like this.
  2. conqueror

conqueror Senior member

sam's 'default' width is around 9.5cm right? seems a bit wide, i might request 8 or 8.5.

3. jazzsol

jazzsol Senior member

No. Sam's default width is more like 9 cm but you can customize to your desire.

4. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Senior member

Does anybody have an 8 fold hober? I honestly don't think I'd order one, but I'd be fascinated to see what it looks like, as well as know if there are any benefits/drawbacks.

5. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

I think it might be more correct to say David has a default set of proportions, not width. In other words, if all you tell him is width and length, then the curvature, rate of taper, and other dimensions (like how narrow it will be at its narrowest point) will generally adhere to his "normal" pattern UNLESS you tell him otherwise.

I can't say enough good things about Hober ties and David's assistance in the process.

Last edited: May 14, 2016
  6. DCTieGuy

DCTieGuy Well-Known Member

Wore my new stripe silk tie (UKU-6) today.

[​IMG]

7. joorinainen

joorinainen Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1626 Map Pocket Square OMP-1A
    White Linen With Navy Blue Contrast Edges Pocket Square LLCP-1
    Bitter Chocolate Prometeo Grenadine Silk Tie GPMT-21
    Navy Blue Prometeo Grenadine Silk Tie GPMT-7
    Burgundy Prometeo Grenadine Silk Tie GPMT-3

My first order with Hober. Got them delivered to my hotel when in Bangkok. My mediocre at best pictures don't do justice and it's very hard to catch the beauty of them (vivid colors,texture,luxury feel) when using a smartphone. I am very satisfied with my order and David Hober even called the reception of my hotel to ensure that i receive my package.

2 people like this.
  8. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

^ Congrats. Solid first order. Love that map of the world pocket square. I don't wear mine a lot, but there's just something awesome about having a map in your pocket.

9. scatterbrain

scatterbrain Senior member

Trying to find a summer (or possilbly year-round) tie to go with the following outfit. Does anyone have suggestions?
    [​IMG]

Thinking something brown or rust, but open to any colour suggestions.

Bonus points if anyone can suggest something that would also go with this jacket, too. It's My other hardcore summer-only, hot-as-hell-outside jacket, so a summery fabric would be nice.
    [​IMG]

Thinking rust wouldn't be great with that.

Paging @Claghorn for his love of Hober ties, blue and brown.

Edit: Corrected pic colours.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
  10. joorinainen

joorinainen Member

1 person likes this.
  11. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Sorry I didn't see this. I actually think I never turned on notifications for tags. My wife has hearing issues and often times people think she's ignoring them. Same thing here. Only. You know. My bad.

For something that world for both:

You're right the rust wouldn't work (I think). The multi-stripe tie is too busy for a very busy jacket. The burnt orange looks like a safe bet, as does the brown. The beige I'd pass on. Not convinced it would work in that context and I know there are many other contexts in which it won't work. The right olive could do the trick.

---

On a different note, has anyone messaged the guy selling fake Hobers on eBay? Though I think he's just mistaken about their origin. If not, @Sam Hober do you want me to?

---

You will be pleased to note that the "rust" grenadine is actually chocolate fina (or piccola) on the website. It's true color is rust. As someone mentioned earlier, they are lighter in real life. Either the fina or the piccola is much lighter in real life.

And now for a random Hober from earlier in the year:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
    2 people like this.
  12. scurvyfreedman

scurvyfreedman Senior member

The lapels on this jacket are gorgeous. Such a great roll and I'm not sure I've ever seen a peak lapel 3 roll 2.

1 person likes this.
  13. vighmate

vighmate New Member

My first grenadine from Sam Hober just arrived yesterday. It's a burgundy piccola, I love it![​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. Sam Hober

Sam Hober Senior member Dubiously Honored

I just saw your post and it caught me by surprise as we never advertise and I thought we were like a great small family restaurant that only a few know about...

Thank you for alerting me - greatly appreciated sir.

I sent an email to the seller who emailed back and asked why we thought they were fakes - astounding the arrogance of some people.

So I politely emailed back that the labels were wrong, fabric wrong and so on... and I have also emailed Ebay so hopefully the sales will be soon taken down,

I have seen quite a few times people copy some of what we do online but there is nothing we can do about that except take it as a compliment.

I guess this is a new stage in our business life and I need to set up procedures for dealing with it in the future.

Thanks again!

David

4 people like this.
  15. Andy57

Andy57 Senior member

Well, if there are fake Hobers around, the best way to assure oneself of buying the real thing seems pretty easy to me...buy direct from David. It's not rocket science.

5 people like this.
  16. Andolin

Andolin Well-Known Member

Where'd you get this jacket? The lapels are beautiful.

17. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Senior member

My guess is Suit Supply?

1 person likes this.
  18. AHS

AHS Senior member

Gents, help needed! Drakes or Hober if I want a black grenadine fina tie? :)

AHS

19. DCTieGuy

DCTieGuy Well-Known Member

@AHS LOL. You came to the Hober Fan Club to ask if you should get a custom Hober made?

20. AHS

AHS Senior member

:tounge: Ha.. Fair enough... I'm just hoping / looking for a little push before I splurge on the tie. I've seen Drakes grenadines in person but haven't had the good fortune (yet!) to own a Hober tie.

AHS

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016