1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by in stitches, May 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. semperexcelsius

semperexcelsius Senior member

I have a Hober Macclesfield that's more or less a combination of those two ties (#285)... pattern's a bit different but blue and yellow, and the red's lighter like the other tie

2. P12OFIT

P12OFIT Senior member

I have a very small collection of ties (none even close to this quality) that have gotten me through the first 24 years of my life. I have recently completed my MBA and will be entering into a consulting position at one of the Big 4 firms in early August. I have been lurking for a while and like most, have developed an appreciation for the Hober grenadines. I am anticipating buying 5 to 10 ties in the near future to start building out my wardrobe, almost strictly for this new position. What is your opinion regarding the purchase of grenadine ties at this stage? Should I wait until I have a larger collection or would it be alright to jump right in? Thanks!

3. semperexcelsius

there's no reason a grenadine couldn't be your very first tie, even in a business environment

1 person likes this.
  4. Andy57

Andy57 Senior member

^^^This.

Grenadines are very versatile ties.

1 person likes this.
  5. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

Go for it. Grenadine ties are awesome. One of many great textured options to make solid ties a bit more interesting. Go for versatile solid colors and subtle patterns for the first 10 or so.

1 person likes this.
  6. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

A great start would be solid navy or midnight, followed by burgundy and/or bitter chocolate. I prefer the garza grossa for its texture. Without hesitation I wear them suits and odd jackets. These workhorses but great looking ones.

When I was in a similar spot as you, I kept my better older ties in rotation to reduce wear on the Hobers but slowly adding more Hobers.

After 3-4 solid grenadines, look at some Macs grounded in navy or burgundy.

Without exception not only are all my Hobers great looking, I think they represent great value.

7. semperexcelsius

I also love the texture of grossa, but I do happen to think that some colors tend to go better in the fina—especially yellow and that gorgeous charcoal gray/silver. That could just me being weird, though.

8. pinkpanther

pinkpanther Senior member

Today's Hober is a repeat and is the Macclesfield print #182 (6-fold construction).

[​IMG]

9. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

Not weird at all, especially regarding the silver-gray. The smoother look of the fina is perfect for that color.

1 person likes this.
  10. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

Charcoal / silver grossa and yellow grossa. Charcoal / silver is especially awesome.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  11. P12OFIT

P12OFIT Senior member

Thank you for all of the replies. After scrolling through many pages of this thread and based upon the suggestions provided, I believe that I'd like to start with:

• Charcoal Gray/Silver Fina
    • Powder Blue Grossa
    • Navy or Midnight Grossa (I might need swatches to make this decision...)
    • Burgundy Grossa

I believe I'd like to add a forest green at some point, but would only throw it on that list if you guys think it is more versatile than one of the others.

Does this look like a good start?

12. semperexcelsius

unless you're set on getting all grenadines, I might give another weave a shot, too... personally, I really love the diamond weaves, so I might go for one of those instead of the powder blue grossa

13. pinkpanther

Today's Hober is a repeat and is the English pattern #22 (3-fold construction).

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  14. dRm0j0

dRm0j0 Well-Known Member

So... I'm looking to stock up on ties since my business wardrobe consists of nothing but $15 ties from thetiebar.com. I was wondering if you guys have any good recommendations for staple ties? I recently got a grenadine from Sam and Hober and I love it :)

If it helps, I'll be wearing these with both dark colored suits (navy/charcoal) as well as summery suits (royal/lighter blue, light grey). Any input would be sincerely appreciated. Oh and how do you guys get the tie to "pop out" so nicely... So jelly

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  15. semperexcelsius

I think the ties that were mentioned just above would work well, since @P12OFIT is in a similar situation to you

The thing you'll discover about Hober ties is that they make you look like a lot better of a tie-tier than you are [​IMG]

16. rockred819

rockred819 Well-Known Member

David emailed me on Monday to say they were starting on my tie, and I got another email overnight that my order is complete! Can't wait for my first Hober! Glad I went with DHL shipping.

17. DCTieGuy

DCTieGuy Well-Known Member

Yes, DHL is the way to go! Made the mistake of trying to save a few dollars using regular mail for my first purchase and it took a very long time, or at least longer than I could bear. Be sure to ask for a tracking number so the item can be left on your doorstep if you aren't home when it is delivered.

18. rockred819

rockred819 Well-Known Member

I live in a building with a front desk person who will be there to receive it when it gets here. I'll be sure to post a photo of my first Hober grenadine once I have it! I'm guessing it will be early next week, since it sounds like my order was finished up on Friday evening Thailand time.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
  19. pinkpanther

Today's Hober is a repeat and is the purple grenadine grossa (6-fold construction).

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. crdb

crdb Senior member

My first, ordered 11 days ago, finished 6 days ago, arrived in Singapore a couple days ago, picked up from SingPost today.

Houndstooth, 3-fold (apologies for bad picture quality):
    [​IMG]

It is a bit thicker and more rigid than I'm used to, and it took me a couple tries to get a knot I would actually want to wear (I find my Lanvin, T&A and Harvie & Hudson ties much easier to tie). It's my ideal wedding tie with a beautiful shine that is impossible to capture on camera. No need to talk about the construction when this thread already has 412 pages.

Aside from the tie, what really struck me was David Hober's exceptional service, from the beautiful packaging to his communication. Aside from the occasional bargain, he probably has secured my business for a while. What next... probably a burgundy grenadine fina...