1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by in stitches, May 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. pinkpanther

pinkpanther Senior member

Today's Hober is a repeat and is the English pattern silk #13 (3-fold construction).

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  2. Gavinband

Gavinband Senior member

Great stuff as always, PP.

I have been on business in china the last three weeks and so many Chinese colleagues complemented my hobers. Possible flood of orders coming from Beijing and Shanghai!

1 person likes this.
  3. LeviMay

LeviMay Senior member

Hober striped Grenadine:

[​IMG]

(Same as Pinkpanther's from recently, but with the British Stripe Direction)

3 people like this.
  4. aglose

aglose Senior member

Hover navy grenadine today for a mock interview. Will be wearing the same get up tomorrow for the actual interview.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. evilWagon

evilWagon Senior member

Has anyone from Canada had an SH order come in recently? If so what shipping method and additional fees did you have to pay I had a bad experience with fedex demanding 300 on a 500 order recently.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  6. LeviMay

LeviMay Senior member

My worst hit on a Hober order into Canada was $55 on two ties, using DHL. They're crazy fast, but the mist likely to ding you.

7. Pb924

Pb924 Senior member

wore my dark chocolate fina today for the first time. Love it

8. MDeKelver

MDeKelver Senior member

I actually had excellent service just with regular post. It is reasonable, and I had an order arrive in 3 weeks from placement. Stay away from Fedex.

9. MDeKelver

MDeKelver Senior member

DHL is fast and reasonable, and you will get charged. If their depot is close, or if you are lucky to be home or shipped to your office, no probs.

10. gackt

gackt New Member

I've ordered 9 ties since the fall, 8 came via regular mail and there were no extra charges on any. I used DHL for one to test it out, and I'm guessing they charged 17% duty, 13% HST, and $10 brokerage. It was $50 for one tie.

11. Christopher Essex

Christopher Essex Senior member

I've only ordered once from David - 7 ties in one order and chose regular mail over DHL, hoping to avoid any additional charges.

However, I had to pay an additional C$180 at the post office.

My strategy obviously did not work this time, but I've been pretty fortunate with other purchases from different vendors.

I almost always get dinged on shoes, though. Most factories (C&J, Herring) do not have a regular post option.

12. breakaway01

breakaway01 Senior member

A bit off topic, but Pediwear ships by Royal Mail. I have not had to pay customs fees on three orders so far to the US.

I have received two Sam Hober orders by regular mail with no customs fees.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
  13. Slickman

Slickman Senior member

Anyone have pics of gold reppe #27? Having a hard time finding a pic

14. justridiculous

justridiculous Senior member

Yes, you're right. I guess I didn't pay enough attention to it when I was getting dressed that morning. Lesson learned.

15. pinkpanther

Today's Hober is a repeat and is the grenadine grossa stripe #6 (6-fold construction).

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. aglose

aglose Senior member

Have you noticed the 6Folds tying a better knot than the 4 folds? I had a heck of a time yesterday getting a good knot out of my navy grandine 4 fold. I don't know if it was because I was in a hurry or nervous or what.

17. pinkpanther

My experience has been that either construction ties a great knot, I don't really notice much difference, if any, in the quality of the knot.

18. The Silverfox

The Silverfox Senior member

I would suppose it has something to do with the tightness of the knot. If you like a loose knot I don't think there will be much difference, but if you, like me, prefer to tie the knot rather tight, there will be a difference in the amount of material in the knot, so to me a 6-fold feels more solid while big, whereas with a 4-fold (or 3-fold) it will either be smaller with equal density or the same size but airier. If you were tying it tight yesterday, which is plausible if you were nervous and in a hurry, I find that the 4-fold has a smaller margin of error before it looks weird. The whole tie being thinner, errors in the tying will more easily show through the knot, etc.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  19. evilWagon

evilWagon Senior member

Thanks for the feedback on shipping to Canada, now the hard part; to whittle down my wish list for my first order.

Pink Panther and others what are the considerations you look at when ordering a tie, construction options/material wise?

20. aglose

aglose Senior member

Ah very true. I'll have to practice with it and see if I can't get a better knot out of it. Thanks for the help!