1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by in stitches, May 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. pinkpanther

pinkpanther Senior member

Today's Hober is a repeat and is the black & burgundy herringbone wool (3-fold construction).

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  2. pinkpanther

Today's Hober is a repeat and is the Atkinsons Irish poplin #6 (3-fold construction).

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. facet

facet Senior member

That's a fantastic looking tie, I must say.

2 people like this.
  4. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

+100

1 person likes this.
  5. pinkpanther

Today's Hober is a repeat and is the grenadine grossa stripe #1 (6-fold construction). Happy Monday everyone!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. pinkpanther

Today's Hober is a repeat and is the grenadine grossa cashmere #4 (6-fold construction).

[​IMG]

7. pinkpanther

Today's Hober is a repeat and is the wool challis pattern #4 (6-fold construction).

[​IMG]

8. patliean1

patliean1 Senior member

Lovely sir! Is there a price difference between 3-Fold and a true 7-fold? I couldn't tell on Sam Hober's website. Thanks

EDIT: Ah I see. You have to combine the price of the fabric with the price of the chosen construction option.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  9. sladejw

sladejw Active Member

I semi-regularly attend funerals (occupational necessity), and have a black (herringbone weave) suit for the occasions. Would appreciate tie recommendations to go with, as my taste otherwise tends towards bright ties and I'm getting tired of my 1-2 current options.

10. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

Black...in many different weaves.

11. LeviMay

LeviMay Senior member

Charcoal, too. If any pattern, very discreet. Small dots, very subtle stripes, that sort of thing. Just something to differentiate it from the black or charcoal jacket, ever so slightly.

12. DayTripper

DayTripper Senior member

Does anybody own either the black diamond weave or the black Oxford weave? I actually don't own a black tie other than a knit and I know a black grenadine is classic, but I thought either one of these would be a nice alternative. Thoughts?

13. malwear

malwear Senior member

How long does it usually take for swatches to ship, and do you get a shipping notice? I ordered some two weeks ago but haven't heard anything.

14. The Silverfox

The Silverfox Senior member

Usually pretty quick. Swatches are quick to cut, so they usually let you "skip" in line as it doesn't make sense to have you wait 10 days in line for work that'd only take one worker 5 minutes to do anyways. I guess it will depend on how busy they are etc, but usually this is how it happens.

The swatches were probably cut and shipped a few days after you ordered. Sometimes they'll give a notification for swatches, and sometimes not. Shipping is typically a few weeks for swatches, so I would expect that you should get them quite soonish.

15. pinkpanther

Today's Hober is a repeat and is the Macclesfield #192 (6-fold construction). Happy Monday everyone!

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  16. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Senior member Moderator

New Hober

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  17. macjedi

macjedi Senior member

It's been almost a year since I bought my first Hober and finally just ordered two more with a bunch of swatches. I'm excited to start building a new tie wardrobe!

1 person likes this.
  18. MDeKelver

MDeKelver Senior member

I need to shorten a few of my Hober ties. Firstly, they are thicker than anything I had, so I find myself tying more four-in-hands than my modified Steward or anything else. Plus, grenadines do relax a bit. Oh, an a few Tom Ford suits with 14" rise trousers have brought my waistband up a bit. Love the fit, but wreaks havoc on tie length.

Any have experience with a tailor or seamstress shortening a tie? I can send them back for re-work, but shipping and borders simply don't make it worth it. It seems easy enough (I can blind hem, lockstitch, and shank a button) except for the running stitch which holds the whole thing together. I figure just start at the tail.

M

19. suitntieguy

suitntieguy Senior member

If you have a navy or burgundy grenadine sell them to me and start with new ones. Might be cheaper that way

20. scurvyfreedman

scurvyfreedman Senior member

I haven't used them yet, but tie crafters is well regarded for changing length and width of ties.

I have to send one tie in - a 7-fold non-Hober that has had its lining detach inside - plus it's about 3 inches too long, so I'll have that adjustment made also. I've just been to lazy to send it in.