• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
I have the 6 fold challis. Still very light and ties a great knot (which will happen regardless as tdude mentions). 3 fold would be too light for me, but YMMV.

pinkpanther

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sensible advice, and it has now been taken.

Order placed for Burgundy diamond weave and the Black and white shepard's check, both in 6'fold construction. You can fight each other over the last remaining shepard's check.

Good man and, of course, nice selections! :nodding: I actually received word from David that the latest order has shipped so I should have the brown POW in hand this Friday or Monday.

Yeah I keep telling myself the same thing, good luck with that :D

The tie I was talking about is the shepards check that I posted, which I've now ordered so it won't be snagged up by you hyenas.

I already have the new shepard's check hanging safely in my evil lair, haven't had a chance to wear it just yet. :D

tdude

Reaction score
That's awesome PP. Great tie. (Nice collar too)

This the burnt orange #19 I said I would take another pic of this past weekend. Colors are pretty close to IRL. (Edit: maybe slightly darker actually)

ypa9u4e3.jpg

Last edited:

pinkpanther

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi guys;

Thinking of picking up one of these wool challis ties:

Any advice to help me decide between 3 or 6 fold? I enjoyed the spring and heft of my macclesfield 6-fold from David - just not sure if the wool ties are similar.

Also, how often does David get new macclesfields in? Would like to wait for some new options before I order a swatch set...

Great pick mezentius (if you want a real life pic I posted one of that tie last week)! I agree with Silverfox and tdude. For me I will order the wool challis in 6-fold and the "regular" wool ties in 3-fold. Remember to post pics!

On the Macclesfield question I am not sure how often new ones are offered. The latest new batch was a little less than a year ago but I don't know what David's current plans might be.

I have the 6 fold challis. Still very light and ties a great knot (which will happen regardless as tdude mentions). 3 fold would be too light for me, but YMMV.

I have 1 in 3-fold and 2 in 6-fold, both are great but I have a slight preference for 6-fold for the reasons mentioned by you, tdude, and Silverfox.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys; Thinking of picking up one of these wool challis ties: Any advice to help me decide between 3 or 6 fold? I enjoyed the spring and heft of my macclesfield 6-fold from David - just not sure if the wool ties are similar. Also, how often does David get new macclesfields in? Would like to wait for some new options before I order a swatch set...
Well, my own experience with the wool challis I have, which is a different print but same weave/weight I should think, is that it's very light and soft. I have it in 3-fold and I was surprised at how soft and strechable the fabric itself is and how light the whole thing ended up being. Almost feels like I'm wearing nothing at all The real question is what feeling you're looking for. On the one hand if you don't like very light constructions, you probably want to go with a 6-fold to compensate for and negate the qualities of the challis. On the other hand, if you enjoy light constructions (or just want as much variation as possible in terms of how the ties feel) then going with a 6-fold might not be a good idea as you might spoil the thing that most separates this kind of tie (in my limited experience at least) from the more regular woven english silks. Let me point out thought that I only have challis in 3-fold, so this is based on my speculation of how going from 3 to 6 would alter the feel, I could be wrong. Another relevant point (for me at least) is that the surface of the fabric is less smooth than silks, so the tie gets more friction against itself. One of my reasons for always going with 6-fold for non-grenadine silk ties is that I feel the 6-fold tends to make the knot stay more firmly (not an issue with all the silks, but some that are smooth and stiff tend to slip when in 3-fold for me), whether it's due to the softer construction or the increased weight at the tips I don't know, but that's my experience. As far as I can make out this is not an issue with the challis. The friction is higher and the fabric is softer so that a 3-fold will form a knot that will stick all day without slipping.
This, to me, is a very legitimate (and practical) reason for going 6 fold, and I agree that some fabrics in 3-fold construction do have a knot-slip tendency.

PoorWalt

Reaction score
Happy to be making my first ever SF post under these circumstances. Just received these two beauties today, my firsts from Hober. No frills as they're just the standard 3-fold construction, but I'm looking forward to exploring what they have to offer in the future. I'll also add my two cents as to whether the knots tend to slip after I've had an opportunity to wear them.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Happy to be making my first ever SF post under these circumstances. Just received these two beauties today, my firsts from Hober. No frills as they're just the standard 3-fold construction, but I'm looking forward to exploring what they have to offer in the future. I'll also add my two cents as to whether the knots tend to slip after I've had an opportunity to wear them.
Nice ties. Keep in mind that many fabrics - in 3 fold construction - will not slip. Moreover, even those fabrics that do slip can be dealt with by tying a tighter knot.

Tenis3433

Reaction score
Any 5'5" tall guys here? what length are you ordering? I'm thinking 55-56" for the four in hand knot.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I'm 5ft7 and the 56 inch length is perfect for me. At 5ft5 you may want to go down to 55 inches. That said, I feel obligated to note that height alone does not tell you everything you need to know about tie length. If you have a relatively long torso, you may need a tie that is a bit longer than the average person your height would get (vice versa if your legs are longer and torso shorter). The best way is to find a tie that fits you fairly well, measure the length and make adjustments. David has a helpful guide for determining tie length on his website and is generally very helpful via email as well. Also, if you are really concerned about the precise length, only get one tie to start and make adjustments going forward.

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
at 5-6 , I opted for 55 in for Grenadines (factor stretching) and 55.65 in for others

Last edited:

pinkpanther

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Welcome to the thread and, more importantly to Hober ties. :nodding: I also like that your first post included pics! :slayer: Is the striped tie the reppe silk #59? Finally, all Hobers have "frills" because they are excellent ties no matter how many folds. Congrats!

The Silverfox

Reaction score

Any 5'5" tall guys here? what length are you ordering? I'm thinking 55-56" for the four in hand knot. 

I'm going to have to go with archibald here and say that height is not a good determinant. Torso length can vary among guys with the same height, as will neck-size, size of chest, size of belly, rise of the trousers etc etc. What you want is something long enough to go from the top of your trousers, up your belly and chest, around your neck and back down, and no part of that journey is a straight line. Even if you wear the same kind of trousers and have the same torso length as someone else, if your neck has an inch more in circumference you need an inch longer tie. If your chest/belly protrudes more, you need a longer tie to make the slightly longer roundabout way from neck to trousers, if your posture is more arched (peacock-mode) you need it still longer etc etc. Trying to accurately "figure" it out is a lot more time consuming than just measuring.

The best tip is to tie your favorite tie with the wide end reaching where you want it to reach when you stand as you usually do, then just measure how much the thin end comes up short (from where you want it, personally I like them the same length) and add that measurement to the length of the tie when you measure it afterwords, and the result should be the tie length you need.

PoorWalt

Reaction score
Welcome to the thread and, more importantly to Hober ties.
nod[1].gif

I also like that your first post included pics!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
Is the striped tie the reppe silk #59?

Finally, all Hobers have "frills" because they are excellent ties no matter how many folds. Congrats!

The striped tie is indeed the reppe silk #59.

And after tying one on this morning, I agree that all Hober ties do have frills.

pinkpanther

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today's Hober is the black & burgundy herringbone wool (3-fold construction). Saw Claghorn's pic of this last month and had to have it. He wears it better but I really like having it in my collection. I am beginning to really like wool ties.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads