• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

atoms

Reaction score
An SF member asked if I had one of David's new wool pattern wool ties and...I do.

Here is the pic of it that I posted last month. It is the midnight blue w/powder blue pattern (6-fold construction).

That's a beautiful and distinctive tie. I would not normally notice that with my own tastes, but seeing it in action it's quite stunning. I will have to remember this for inspiration.

MGD83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just ordered the charcoal silver grossa grenadine myself CD, I plan on wearing it with my new navy pinstripe double breasted suit, and a plain white shirt.

Looking forward to posting some pics.

pinkpanther

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can you wear Challis wool ties all year round?;)

For me they are very much a fall / winter look. If you have very cold springs you may be able to get away with a bit more wear.

I agree with this. The question made me wonder about the Atkinson Royal Irish Poplin ties that David offers. Would you consider these seasonal as well? If so, which seasons?

cold war painter

Reaction score
David mentioned to me he felt they are a four-season tie. I have one in a dark green tartan so I tend to wear it more in autumn. The material is light with a dry hand so I guess if you were classing it based purely on feel you might prefer to wear it in spring/summer even though it is half wool.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

David mentioned to me he felt they are a four-season tie. I have one in a dark green tartan so I tend to wear it more in autumn. The material is light with a dry hand so I guess if you were classing it based purely on feel you might prefer to wear it in spring/summer even though it is half wool.

While i personally think of wool ties as seasonal, I will say that unless the pattern itself lends itself to fall/winter wear only, I think a guy can get away with 4 season wear if he wishes.

The Silverfox

Reaction score

An SF member asked if I had one of David's new wool pattern wool ties and...I do.

Here is the pic of it that I posted last month. It is the midnight blue w/powder blue pattern (6-fold construction).

Beautiful tie of course, but the pairing with the shirt and jacket is really fantastic. The overall effect is a basic simplicity, but each component has those interesting subtleties that bring each other out and just ties it all together. Great job

pinkpanther

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Beautiful tie of course, but the pairing with the shirt and jacket is really fantastic. The overall effect is a basic simplicity, but each component has those interesting subtleties that bring each other out and just ties it all together. Great job

:cheers:

pinkpanther

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today's Hober is a repeat and is the midnight blue diamond weave (3-fold construction). Happy Monday everyone!

pinkpanther

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today's Hober is a repeat and is the dark purple/black grenadine grossa (6-fold construction).

The Silverfox

Reaction score
You know, you should be careful with posting so many ties. Don't you know that displays of valuable and desirable objects can often inspire would-be criminals to target you?

Before you know it, you might have a gang of grenadine-crazed SFers mounting a raid on your house, mansion, yacht or evil lair in search of the collection.

Last edited:

pinkpanther

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know, you should be careful with posting so many ties. Don't you know that displays of valuable and desirable objects can often make inspire would-be criminals?

Before you know it, you might have a gang of grenadine-crazed SFers mounting a raid on your house, mansion, yacht or evil lair.

lol8[1].gif

I actually hadn't considered that prospect...
uhoh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads