1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by in stitches, May 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. LynahFaithful

LynahFaithful Senior member

Yes you do.

1 person likes this.
  2. pinkpanther

pinkpanther Senior member

Today's Hober is a repeat and is the charcoal grey/silver grenadine grossa (6-fold construction).

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  3. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

Pink Panther. You tie a four in hand, right?

4. pinkpanther

Yes sir. :nodding:

5. jeffd

jeffd Senior member

Another question for you - are all of your grenadines 6-fold? I've always gotten the standard offering and I don't think mine tie as nice of a knot as yours.

6. Limniscate

Limniscate Senior member

I think there's a noticeable difference between the 3-fold and 4-fold grenadine but haven't tried the 6-fold yet.

7. pinkpanther

I do have 1 4-fold grossa and 2 4-fold finas and they are great ties. I just like 6-fold better.

I could be wrong but I don't think David makes 3-fold grenadine ties (unless you order it special). 4-fold is his standard.

8. Limniscate

Limniscate Senior member

I have two 3-fold before he switched to 4-fold.

9. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

^ Yeah. 3 fold was the standard awhile ago. David switched to 4 fold for grenadine and 3 fold remains the standard for other ties IIRC.

10. pinkpanther

You are both correct. Received this note from David:

"I noticed the discussion about folds:

Grenadines are a loose weave and by adding a 4th fold there is extra durability in the back of the tie.

The durability comes from the way we sew the fold together and the even number of folds works better.

A long time ago we offered 3 folds and they worked well but the 4th fold is better.

The fold is small and typically not noticeable in terms of added weight like a 6-fold."

11. LeviMay

LeviMay Senior member

Prints obviously behave differently than grenadines, but I've always found the shape of the tie and the width at the knot point affect the knot more so than the folds.

This is a 3-fold:

[​IMG]

whereas this is a 6-fold:

[​IMG]

Their knots are fairly similar. I ask to have them made with less taper, so they're wider higher up.

2 people like this.
  12. MDeKelver

MDeKelver Senior member

Nice shape, wider at the knot and a proper blade.

A six-fold Macclesfield with the sturdy wool lining is an absolute gem. Serious tie.

13. pinkpanther

Today's Hober is a repeat and is the Macclesfield #182 (6-fold construction).

[​IMG]

I am breaking from my normal pattern (at great risk) and showing David's map pocket square because I recently acquired it and it rocks. :slayer:

2 people like this.
  14. archibaldleach

^ Yes. Yes it does. So does the other map square.

1 person likes this.
  15. The Silverfox

The Silverfox Senior member

Hello everyone, I'm back from my tie-hiatus.

Been reading the backlog, good to see pink panther is still killing it.

Just ordered the map rectangle, the brown prince of wales and the midnight blue grenadine fina with white and red stripes, both in 6'fold. Basically finishing up some unfinished business.

Saw someone talking about chance of getting their stuff flagged by customs, I dont know where they live, but my experience has been that EMS always gets through (100% success rate for me so far, with 7-8 shipments), whereas UPS or regular snail mail has for me always been charged. This is for ordering to Norway.

Someone was also talking about 6-fold vs 3-fold.... The difference here will depend on the quality of the silk, by which I mean quality in the true sense of the word and not an estimate of how "good it is". You're adding more silk and trimming down the lining, so you're gaining the properties of silk and losing those of the lining. The silks vary greatly of course, but they do tend to be softer and heavier than the lining, whereas the lining is frequently stiffer and springier than the silk. So in my experience, 3 folds will tie a knot that's got more air in it, whereas a 6'fold will cinch down on itself to a greater degree, and of course the extra weight is also a factor in keeping it firm. With rather heavy and course (in terms of surface texture) weaves suchas the pindot, I find that it cinches just fine, and the tie I have in this weave, a 3-fold, ties a nice firm (and full sized) knot that stays in place. Whereas with smooth, thin and stiff weaves, such as the silk shepards check, I find that the 6-fold due to its weight and softness will form a nice firm knot that will stay, whereas the 3-fold will initially form a small dense knot that will losen over time as the rigidity and springiness of the wool lining resists and the light weight and low friction of the silk doesn't give the knot enough hold to withstand this pushback, so over time the knot will losen. I have to add though, that it only loosens to a point, whereupon it will stay perfectly content, not loosening any further, and if you looked at me you wouldn't think my tie knot was too lose, so it's not like it will look silly, it's just that I personally prefer a very tight and dense knot. I've also experienced this with the diamond weave for example, whereas the with grenadines and english patterns, it holds either way. As for the size, this depends entirely on the fabric I think, if the fabric is bulky then the 6-fold will be a deal bigger than the 3-fold, whereas for a very thin and and soft fabric, it will not be big at all, and might well be smaller.

Regarding the discussion of the warmth of wool ties. Honestly I would be shocked if anyone found themselves considerably warmer with wool ties than with silk. Silk isn't usually thought of as a very warm fabric, but in my experience it is, so I don't see switchin out silk for wool in a necktie should have made it warmer, because you've just switched out one of the warmest materials there is for another one. I live in Norway, and I've usually worn wool or cashmere scarves during the winter. This last winter I've had two of david's silk scarves, and I have to say I was never tempted to reach deeper into the drawer for one of my older cashmere or wool scarves, I pretty much wore nothing but the silk scarves, and I never regretted that. How wool ties compare to linen I don't know, but if you weren't overheating with a silk tie, I can't imagine you'd start when you switch to wool. The difference to me is entirely cosmetic, wool just has that soft fuzzy look that makes us feel like they're warmer, so they look out of place when it's hot out, but I don't think there's anything to it other than aesthetics and traditional notions of seasonal propriety.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
    3 people like this.
  16. pinkpanther

@The Silverfox - great to see you back from your tie hiatus :cheers:

17. jfrater

jfrater Senior member

Beautiful combination! I am incredibly tempted to buy every Hober I see you wearing! May I ask what brand the suit is?

1 person likes this.
  18. pinkpanther

Today's Hober is a repeat and is the English patter #19 (3-fold construction). Happy Monday everyone!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. pinkpanther

Thank you sir! The suit brand is Jack Victor.

1 person likes this.
  20. archibaldleach

Hober wedding tie in action this past Saturday.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.