• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

tdude

Reaction score
Love that PP!!

Fox, I am oh so close to buying that tie. In fact, I will buy it. I love POW ties and like the idea of both the scale and the brown color. I think it would look great with navy on a blue shirt. I am only waiting to see what the next installment of cashmere will be in February.

The Silverfox

Reaction score

Nice to see you back Silverfox! There hasn't been much discussion about this tie yet. I do have it on order and will let you know how it looks IRL and, of course, post pics. :)

Do you know when this will be approximately?

I've got my credit card in my hand and I'm foaming at the mouth here, every minute counts!

pinkpanther

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ha! PP beat me to it and already ordered it!

biggrin.gif

Do you know when this will be approximately?

I've got my credit card in my hand and I'm foaming at the mouth here, every minute counts!

lol8[1].gif
I imagine mid to late next week. Haven't received shipment notice yet but I'm sure I will soon.

pinkpanther

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love that PP!!

Fox, I am oh so close to buying that tie. In fact, I will buy it. I love POW ties and like the idea of both the scale and the brown color. I think it would look great with navy on a blue shirt. I am only waiting to see what the next installment of cashmere will be in February.

Thank you sir!
cheers.gif

+1 on the suggested combo for the POW.

The Silverfox

Reaction score

Thank you sir! :cheers:

+1 on the suggested combo for the POW.

Same combo I'm envisioning. Pale blue if it's greyish with a slight brown tint, and a deeper and deeper blue the browner it is. And if the fabric is similar to the white/black POW, I'm thinking the suit should be like a rich-navy flannel, maybe with white pencil-stripes.

EDIT: Pink shirt would probably also be great with this.

On the topic of things that would look great with a deeper-blue shirt, does anyone know the status on #22 of the oxford weaves? It's like a darker version of #19. To my mind it looks kind of metalic, like brushed bronze would look.

Last edited:

GradSchooler

Reaction score
I've asked David about the possibility of getting the large POW done up as a scarf to go with a camel overcoat and brown fedora. So I too am interested in how it looks and feels IRL.

pinkpanther

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

On the topic of things that would look great with a deeper-blue shirt, does anyone know the status on #22 of the oxford weaves? It's like a darker version of #19. To my mind it looks kind of metalic, like brushed bronze would look.

I don't know the status of the oxford weave #22 other than it isn't available on the sight at the moment. Here is a pic of the swatches. Colors in the pic are close to IRL.

tdude

Reaction score
Yup. Nice Levi. Love that tie

Last edited:

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
can anybody comment on the Grenadine Grossa in Burgundy. It looks closer to dark brown versus the Promoteo, which is what I think a true Burgundy should look like. Not sure if this is just on my monitor...

Thanks

Last edited:

Ennius

Reaction score
^ Dark blue (including the midnight pindot), green, very dark purple (if you don't mind being a bit monochromatic) will all work well. If you are going with grey, I'd do something darker than the grenadine charcoal silver to make sure your tie is darker than your shirt. I don't love the idea of burgundy on lavender.
Thanks archibald.

Midnight blue with pindots it will be!

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

can anybody comment on the Grenadine Grossa in Burgundy. It looks closer to dark brown versus the Promoteo, which is what I think a true Burgundy should look like. Not sure if this is just on my monitor...

Thanks

I have the grossa in Burgundy. It does have a brownish hint to it, but not too much. I also have the bitter chocolate, and next to each other, it is very clear which is brown, and which is burgundy.

I am thinking about getting the "Dark Red" http://www.samhober.com/grenadine-grossa-solid-silk-ties/dark-red-grenadine-silk-tie-2.html Then again, I also have the navy grossa and want both the midnight and slate blue...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads