• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

LeviMay

Reaction score

That's gorgeous. Well done, sir.

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thinking about a couple of wool challis ties. I searched the thread and saw that a couple of members have gone with 6-fold construction. Was that tipped or untipped? Have others gone with a different construction?

pinkpanther

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you gentlement think abou the "side dimple." I prefer softer ties and I find that, despite my best efforts, the dimple ends up this way after a few hours.

While I prefer a nicely centered dimple like pp, tdude, and others in this thread consistently achieve, a side dimple is better than no dimple.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
At least you're not overly fussy about it.
smile.gif

Nice choices seven. Love both of those. Nice tie Todd. Softer ties are harder to get that simple it's true. Sometimes I fuss (yes I am fussy) with a knot for 5 minutes before I'm happy. Some kinda dimple is always a good thing.

Agreed that some dimple is better than no dimple and the side dimple is fine by me. Before Hober I would fuss a little over the knot but it was more about what length the tie was coming out than anything else. Now all my (Hober) ties are the same length and it is easy to get both the preferred length and, of course, the preferred knot with a minimum of fuss.
nod[1].gif

pinkpanther

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thinking about a couple of wool challis ties. I searched the thread and saw that a couple of members have gone with 6-fold construction. Was that tipped or untipped? Have others gone with a different construction?

Mine are tipped (as are all of mine regardless of type of material, just a personal preference).

tdude

Reaction score
My wool ties are tipped, standard construction. As for my dimple fussiness, I will fuss till I get a good dimple, but I don't have to fuss over my Hobers. The knots fall easier for whatever reason.

pinkpanther

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As for my dimple fussiness, I will fuss till I get a good dimple, but I don't have to fuss over my Hobers. The knots fall easier for whatever reason.

+1 - Hobers are my easiest ties to (dimple) knot by a wide margin. One of the many reasons I like them so much.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nice choices seven. Love both of those. Nice tie Todd. Softer ties are harder to get that simple it's true. Sometimes I fuss (yes I am fussy) with a knot for 5 minutes before I'm happy. Some kinda dimple is always a good thing.

thank you

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Berob

Reaction score
So irrespective of one's current warddrobe and tie inventory, what are your top 5 Hobers? Asked differently, if you had to buy Hobers at once and could never buy any more, what would they be? I'm sure something along this line has been asked or discussed in the previous 260 pages, but given the passion and enthusiam that most Hoberites have for the product, together with the new offerings and new converts, I assume its an opinion many won't mind offering, even for the "nth" time.

Also, what's your thought process / rationale for choosing grenadine grossa, fina, or prometeo? Is it purely an aesthetic issue or do other factors (e.g. diversification, formality, suit/jacket texture, etc.) factor in? Thanks.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I could only have 5:

- Black grenadine grossa
- Navy grenadine grossa
- Burgundy oxford weave
- Silver / grey grenadine grossa
- Sky blue rep solid silk tie

My 5 Favorites (some tough calls in here):

- Silver / grey grenadine grossa
- White pindot on midnight blue grenadine grossa
- Powder blue and brown stripes on midnight blue grenadine grossa
- English pattern silk tie #6 (http://www.samhober.com/pattern-silk-ties/english-pattern-silk-tie-6.html)
- Green dots on burgundy pindot silk tie

Reason for the difference is I have some favorites that are not quite as versatile but I am happy to have a large rotation. If I could only have 5, however, I'd go for versatility.

My preference for grossa over fina is due to the former having a more interesting and visible texture. If I wanted a more subtle texture, something like the diamond weave or oxford weave would work better for my tastes.

LeviMay

Reaction score
I am often surprised to see a black knit or grenadine on Top X lists. I think navy is far more versatile, but then I'm the uptight type that wouldn't wear a black tie with brown shoes.

My top 5 Hobers would be Navy Grenadine Grossa, Burgandy Grenadine Grossa, a navy-grounded Macclesfield (can't really go wrong with any of them), any simple stripe (the SF Club tie grenadine is a good one), and a more colourful tie like an orange, brown, or purple.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Black tie is on the list due to (1) being the most socially appropriate thing at a funeral and thus a thing one would not want to be without and (2) it looks quite smart with white and light blue shirts and can provide additional options especially if one wears a lot of suits to evening events.

LeviMay

Reaction score
I agree with you completely that black is situationally great, but if limited, I would still take navy. It will go with things that black won't, looks great with white and light blue, and I very much doubt one would get odd looks at a funeral with a navy tie.

Last edited:

tdude

Reaction score
Sheesh. Can't imagine having to pick 5 to keep if I had to. Navy grenadine grossa. Chocolate fina. One of the navy neats. Then . . . Burgundy neat. The Atkinson stripe I have. The green challis. The midnight challis. OK I cheated.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads