1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by in stitches, May 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Spurious

Spurious Senior member

First one gets my vote as well

2. pinkpanther

pinkpanther Senior member

It is a 3-fold and the knot is a 4IH. I am glad you think the knot is nice! I think David's diamond weaves produce the best knots of all his ties (IMO). The silk is certainly hefty enough that 3-fold is good enough for me. :) Plus, since David's ties are bespoke just let him know what kind/size you are looking for and he can probably make that happen. :nodding:

+1

+1 again

I don't disagree with any of this. Might have to try a 6-fold diamond weave at some point as all of mine are 3-fold. You are not a rambling idiot, I enjoy reading your take on David's products. :)

3. pinkpanther

I prefer the the first two slightly over the third.

4. tdude

tdude Senior member

Another vote for the first two.

5. The Silverfox

The Silverfox Senior member

So you don't disagree that it depends on the silk, or you don't disagree that I'm the tie-equivalent of John Nash stalking pigeons like a lunatic, or both?

Either way, good to know there's a receptive audience :D

Alright, so let's throw the third one out as it got no love (I'll edit the last post and remove it so we don't get any confusion). Between these two alternatives that are left, which do you prefer?

6. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

@The Silverfox, I'd go with the first one. I don't really love the second one but to each his own.

7. zhanghagn0529

zhanghagn0529 Well-Known Member

Do you guys prefer print pattern over the woven pattern? I recently got a pindot tie from another brand. It uses addtional silk to weave on the surface of the tie to form pindots, more like sewing loosely on the surface. I found the pindot parts are very delicate. My nail accidentally touched it and some fiber or silk already came off. I am afraid it is goona miss some dots eventually. Is this the comom case for this kind of ties?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  8. tdude

tdude Senior member

^^ print. silver, I'd go with first one. (and I enjoy your musings too. now if you can figure out a way to use David's ties to illustrate one of the game theory models . . .)

9. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

^ I prefer woven patterns in theory but happily wear both. I have had minimal issues with wear.

10. zhanghagn0529

I am sorry. The tie I described is not from Sam Hober. I should have mentioned that. Just edited it.

11. The Silverfox

Hmm... It's pretty much unanimous for the first one then it seems. I asked David before posting here and he picked the first one as well, so I guess the first one is universally more loved. I'm really liking the second one, but in terms of actually wearing it, brown print seems more wearable than white and red, and certainly a better match for my own color-scheme.

So unless anyone wants to make a last ditch defense of the second, I guess I'm going with the first.

This is actually going to be my first print tie in my life... like ever. My tie collection is like 20-25 ties now, and it was bigger until I gave away all my non-hobers about a year ago. (Not on principle, I'm not that much of a purist. I'm quite tall so my hobers are the only ties to ever fit me properly) I don't know why, but I've just always felt drawn to woven patterns rather than printed. Can't say I have a rational argument for this preference, I just would rather have a pattern that's physically woven into the tie than to have one that's just printed onto it. Or so has been my rational up to now anyway, but I consider this more to be my own idiosyncrasy than anything else.

One objectively better thing about woven patterns though is the luster. With print you tend to get that the actual pattern itself isn't as shiny as the rest, with woven it can easily be the other way around. I have the White Dots on Dark Navy Pin-Dot Silk Tie #1 and what makes me love it so is that the white dots aren't just white, they really shine white. The pattern is woven in with the white silk threads laying flat side by side which make them very reflective, so the pattern really pops out despite being quite small and sober. Especially if you're wearing a white PS or something like that. I'd imagine the effect would be much lesser with other colors, but when it's a white on a dark background, the luster from it being woven just makes them seem that much brighter, which really works.

That's not even a challenge. Collect 50 SFers in a room and tell them they can all pick a hober tie to wear to a big SF dinner that evening. What should the strategy be for selecting your tie? Well... It certainly shouldn't be to go for the navy or bitter chocolate grenadines, nor should it be the white and brown striped navy grenadine, blue houndstooth or any other of the SF favourites, because if you go for any of those you can be guaranteed to be one of 3-4 guys wearing the same tie, which is not very sprezzaterrific at all, is it?

Clearly in this situation the optimal strategy is to avoid the optimal ties and instead find the slightly sub-optimal ties that get overlooked. You'll score (at the worst) almost as many points on pure aesthetics, but you'll in turn score twice as many points on originality.

Personally I'd go with Dark Navy in English Solid Satin weave, which is perhaps the most beautiful shade of blue made from the most underrated (and I'd argue most beautiful and subtle/sophisticated) weave in David's lineup. And you'd all get to bask in my glorious originality as I dazzle you with the subtle soft shine of a larger-weave satin.

So the Nash equilibria should be the (very close) second tier of ties that are still excellent without having the status of being obvious picks. Boom, that's tie-game-theory for you.

12. tdude

tdude Senior member

13. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

I like them both. But NO. 1 gets my vote.

14. Evolve

Evolve Senior member

^ I vote for 1 as well.

15. Evolve

Evolve Senior member

Anyone have pics of Burgundy & White Stripes On Midnight Blue Grenadine Tie #15 in action?

16. Evolve

Evolve Senior member

Lovin' your contributions to this thread. I'm with you on preferring woven patterns over printed, at least for simple neats such as pindots. Before I really knew anything about ties, I just naturally assumed that woven dots equaled higher quality as compared to printed. I know now that that isn't necessarily the case, but I still prefer woven for the added texture. I'm all about texture in ties, and these days, I'll hardly buy anything that's not grenadine, raw silk, knit, wool, or linen. But the Hober "White Dots on Dark Navy Pin-Dot Silk Tie #1" is a must-have for me, and I agree with your comments on it, Silverfox. Looks like David just restocked this fabric, too. I wish he would restock the burgundy w/ white dots version.

BTW Silverfox, I gather you are from Norway. Beautiful country, it is. I'm from the U.S. but I've been to your country twice--once in '06 and once in '07--as part of a foreign exchange program in high school. Stavanger is where I was. Fantastic town, great people, awesome memories, and I hope to go back one day. Cheers!

17. zhanghagn0529

That woven pattern is exactly what I was talking about. Since you guys didn't mention the silk for the white dots come off very easily, I guess it is not a problem for Sam Hober tie.

18. The Silverfox

I can't say unequivocally that it's not a problem because I haven't worn mine long enough and hard enough yet to claim that it's stood the test of time with me. It could still happen, and if it did then it would be prematurely, but what I can say is that I haven't seen any kind of problem like that on any one of my ties.

If I'm dealing with a loose pattern weave and my nails aren't in good condition, it's possible to catch a thread and pull the thread loose a bit, which isn't very noticeable unless you see it from the side or from the top where it can be seen sticking a little out from the otherwise smooth surface. But when this happens it's always small and unobtrusive and the thread is always a loop, so the rest of the thread is still a part of the weave on both sides, so there's no structural damage to the weave that would make it unravel. The thread and the weave is still intact, a part of the thread is just a little dislodged, and I imagine that in the past it's worked itself back to position, or at least closer to it, over time as the fabric has been bent and stretched etc. If you've got a very bad hangnail and you're going for a speed-record in tying a tie I guess you could tear the thread so that it'd unravel, but I think it'd be difficult to do.

What you're talking about could happen, but I think it'd be less likely to happen the higher quality silk you're dealing with, and as I said it's never happened to any noticeable degree with me. Loosen/dislodge a thread a little bit, sure, but fiber actually coming out is something I've personally yet to see in the admittedly relatively short while I've been wearing them.

19. tdude

tdude Senior member

to clarify, when I said I prefer prints, I was speaking about neats

20. pinkpanther

I don't disagree that it depends on the silk. :)

You are not the tie-equivalent of John Nash stalking pigeons...at least no more so than the rest of us... :D