1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by in stitches, May 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. applky

applky Senior member

One of my tie tips have also done this. Would be curious to hear more.

2. Evolve

Evolve Senior member

^ That's strange. Is that a Hober? How many folds? How do you store your ties? Curious to see David's response.

Last edited: May 4, 2014
  3. MGD83

MGD83 Senior member

I have some of them rolled gently, but I really should hang them.

I have several hober ties, but only 2 of them are doing that. They are both 6 fold lined construction

4. Notreknip

Notreknip Senior member

I imagine that the above-pictured flaring would fall out with time under the force of gravity. Personally, I would never press it with any sort of heat/humidity.

My guess is that this is caused by long-term rolling of a relatively dry and crisp fabric coupled with a somewhat narrow blade width.

5. LeMaitreChat

LeMaitreChat Senior member

Does David generally send an email notification when an order has been shipped (by regular mail)? I'm wondering whether I should ping him about an order from a few weeks ago or just wait for it to come.

6. MGD83

MGD83 Senior member

Hi David,

No, the fronts are good. The picture is of the narrow end. The ties actually arrived to me that way already, and I guess rolling them didn't really help. I hung them up now. But I don't think that will solve the problem.

If I pressed the tip very lightly with the iron on medium temperature maybe it would help to keep the folds flat.

7. MGD83

MGD83 Senior member

Will it damage the material? Should the iron be on a low heat setting?

8. B Rad

B Rad Active Member

I've normally received an email with a shipping update, but didn't on my last order which arrived super quickly. You can shoot David a quick email - he's incredibly responsive.

1 person likes this.
  9. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

I would use some sort of press cloth between the iron and silk.

1 person likes this.
  10. applky

applky Senior member

My tie that also has this issue on the narrow end is a six-fold lightly lined handrolled wool challis and also arrived like that. It's been hung on a cedar tie rack for several years and it hasn't fallen out. David, would you still recommend light pressing in this case? I haven't done so, given all the admonitions we've all heard against pressing handrolled ties.

11. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

I roll all my ties for storage. I hang them for approximately 12 hours after each wear before rolling them again. I have never had this issue.

12. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

Store ties flat in a drawer

1 person likes this.
  13. Evolve

Evolve Senior member

+1. I fold my ties loosely twice lengthwise, store flat in a drawer.

14. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

Same. Running out of drawers, though.

15. aldenfan

aldenfan Senior member

I'm confused by the ordering on the website. I ordered a tie and then got an email with questions about the width, etc. I didn't realize there were so many options. Were those options I was supposed to specify previous to checking out on the website? Or does everyone get a follow-up email asking for the details of the width, length, etc.? I'm new to buying quality ties and to using the website.

16. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Senior member

It's standard procedure before submitting an order. In addition to offering quality ties. Sam Hober offers bespoke service. You're free to specify length, width, dimensions (widths at different points of the tie), lining, thickness, hand-rolled edges, tack bar, thread color, knot size etc etc. It's really the best tie experience you could ever ask for.

As a result, the ordering procedure might seem a bit overwhelming. But once you've made up your mind on the details you will enjoy every purchase from SH. And develop an addiction causing severe damage to your wallet.

1 person likes this.
  17. aldenfan

aldenfan Senior member

Thanks, all that is really good to know. It sounds like I have a lot of reading/researching to do on what I want for the tie I purchased.

So far from what I've seen, this may become damaging to my wallet indeed!

Thanks!

18. applky

applky Senior member

+1 to this, and @aldenfan David is also happy to advise. He defaults to traditional dimensions and either 3- or 4-fold construction in my experience -- won't upsell you on more complex construction, though he's happy to do it of course. It's only as complicated as you want.

1 person likes this.
  19. pinkpanther

pinkpanther Senior member

Today's Hober is a repeat and is the Atkinson Irish poplin #6 (3-fold construction).

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  20. RS89

RS89 Member

Rookie here with a quick question. I've read through roughly 25% of this thread, plus a couple others regarding Hober ties, and still cant find an answer to the following question:

For those of you ordering SH grenadine fina ties in the 3.25-3.35 range, what size width are you requesting in the 'knot area?'

I ask because I like the look of a 3.25-3.35 tie, but find that they are usually too thin in the knot area to create a substantial knot and dimple. I know David allows you to request a specific width in the knot area, so I'd like to know what some of you have experimented with and found to work. I also know I can ask David directly, and I will, but I'd like to hear from some of you as well.

A little background on me because I know someone is going to ask "what are your measurements, does a 3.25 tie suit you in the first place...?" I'm a 44 chest, 6'1'', muscular and in good shape. I also like my jacket lapels between 3.25-3.5.

BTW - all your ties look AMAZING, this is going to be my first SH order and I am really looking forward to it.