1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by in stitches, May 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Yowzer

Yowzer Senior member

That... is a nice looking tie... olive green I think is quite an interesting colour

1 person likes this.
  2. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Great tie. I have the same one in Fina weave.

1 person likes this.
  3. kdv10

kdv10 Well-Known Member

What a great tie and outfit. :slayer:

I've never thought of a pairing like this before!

Will add this tie into my ever growing wish list.

1 person likes this.
  4. pinkpanther

pinkpanther Senior member

Thank you gentlemen! :cheers:

5. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

Powder blue grenadine grossa in action. I need to wear this one more often (looks at closet and realizes that I'd probably say that about too many Hobers).

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  6. pinkpanther

Today's Hober is a repeat and is the Macclesfield #124 (6-fold construction). Happy Monday everyone!

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  7. MGD83

MGD83 Senior member

Nice

1 person likes this.
  8. LeSacre

LeSacre Senior member

x-post from recent purchases thread

Extremely happy with how these turned out and even happier with the excellent service provided by David

2 people like this.
  9. Notreknip

Notreknip Senior member

I would appreciate a bit of help.

I'm looking for a dark grey grenadine tie to add to my collection of 10 or so Hober ties.

Every time I order a grey or charcoal swatch I seem to get something that I would call silver, light grey, or maybe mid grey at darkest. For example, I purchased a "Charcoal Grey/Silver Grenadine Fina" tie (before I was smart enough to get swatches first) and find it difficult to wear with anything but quite formal wear. For example, it is too light to wear with most blue shirts and really can't be worn with odd jackets in my experience.

It seems well documented that all of Hober's colours are lighter/brighter than they appear online, but to call an 18-ish percent grey "charcoal" seems a bit of a stretch.

Feel free to PM me non-Hober options if absolutely necessary.

10. pinkpanther

Today's Hober is a repeat and is the silver grey diamond weave DT-23 (3-fold construction).

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. pinkpanther

Not sure any comparison of David's online pics to the IRL color is well documented (brighter, duller, or otherwise). I haven't found his online pics to be any more or less accurate than any other online retailer. It is certainly well documented that swatches are a good idea, particularly if you are looking for a particular shade. On almost every page of his website (and every page of his grenadine offerings) David suggests getting swatches .

Wrt a tie with 18-ish percent gray being called charcoal...it is actually called charcoal grey/silver (and it is a fantastic tie :)). IMO, charcoal is not one particular shade, there are many shades. Clearly, your charcoal is darker than David's current offerings. Please note that I am not trying to be argumentative, just attempting to be balanced.

Finally, there are a number of other SF afilliated vendors that offer grenadines that may have the shade that you seek.

12. tdude

tdude Senior member

Don't remember that one PP. Nice!

Repeat for me as well. The houndstooth.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 people like this.
  13. Notreknip

Notreknip Senior member

Thanks PP, you are completely fair in all of your statements. I do order swatches regularly now. In my experience, the relationship between the shade on my screen and the shade in real life is quite consistent. I have also read statements from others indicating the same. Unfortunately, it is just a reality of online shopping.

I guess I'm just somewhat surprised by the unavailability of a dark grey shade - in David's inventory as well as elsewhere. I thought, at first, I was just overlooking something; now, I wonder if the shade is lacking for a reason.

Would it not make for a versatile tie?

14. pinkpanther

Thank you sir! :cheers:

Love the houndstooth, such a tremendous tie. :slayer:

Indeed it would be a versatile tie. I will be on the lookout. :nodding:

1 person likes this.
  15. Notreknip

Notreknip Senior member

Thanks for the reply David! May I suggest that you try to find a dark grey grenadine fabric to complement your other grey shades? I think it would sell well.

16. DayTripper

DayTripper Senior member

I absolutely love this tie and I'm very tempted to purchase it, but I have a hard time picturing how to wear it. It seems like it goes best with a white shirt, which I hardly wear these days. Do you find it versatile outside of the navy suit/white shirt combo?

1 person likes this.
  17. Irish

Irish Senior member

Tdude - Is this the houndstooth from last year? I bought mine when it was re-stocked in January and--as David's note now says on the description--it's not for everyone. It appears rather stiff. Either you got an older version or have managed to get a better look than I have.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  18. tdude

tdude Senior member

Thanks fellas. It's not really stiff, so it must be from the prior run. I do love it, but it's not all that versatile I don't suppose. I wear it with white shirt and plain navy or plain grey suit.

19. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

I have the same tie. It really is a white shirt tie. I also don't think I've ever worn it with a navy jacket and stick to wearing it with my suits in various shades of grey. I think it looks fine the way tdude is wearing it, but I tend to prefer wearing my grey and silver ties with blue jackets.

20. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

Is that the black and white or the navy and powder blue?