1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by in stitches, May 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. DLJr

DLJr TWAT Master.

The swatch sets really are key. I left mine at Ercoles last time I was at the shop; partly because they had asked, but mostly to control my Hober spending.

2. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

its like a rubik's cube, but infinitely cooler.

3. JezeC

JezeC Distinguished Member

Is there a separate charge to ship the swatches?

4. jeffd

jeffd Senior Member

The shipping is free, but you have to buy the individual swatch sets. Most of them are pretty cheap, but they can add up quickly if you're like I am. My thinking was that it was worth at least the cost of a single tie to make sure that I didn't order something I wouldn't like, since there are no returns for picking the wrong color. So with that budget in mind (I actually spent less), I picked the swatch sets I thought I'd like the most. As you can see, I ended up with quite a few bits of fabric.

5. tdude

tdude Senior Member

6. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Distinguished Member

+1.

7. scurvyfreedman

scurvyfreedman Distinguished Member

When I was asked where I got my tie (dark purple/black grenadine fina), I answered "Thailand" and the questioner thought it was a store called Tie Land. I figured that would now be my standard answer to where I get my ties.

8. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Distinguished Member

9. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Distinguished Member

Yes, I believe it is Drakes. Unfortunately, the only size I can find it in doesn't work for me, hence my desire to see a similar offering from Hober. But besides being able to customize size and construction, it would probably be cheaper from Hober and quality on par if not better. And I'd rather give David my business anyhow. :)

10. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

same here. the drakes like that i saw like that were all 8cm, and i prefer 9. also, as you said, i would be happier sending my money the hober route.

11. Mr. Pink

Mr. Pink Senior Member

I have the midnight blue both oxford and fina grenadine. I also have the navy grossa grenadine. All great ties. I think the midnight oxford is the most useful of them all.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013

12. tdude

tdude Senior Member

13. QVT93

QVT93 Member

I ordered ties on Thursday night/Friday morning and they got here on Wednesday. That's 5 real life days from order to in my hands. I am also really pleased with what I got. Bitter chocolate grossa, slate blue fina, and a macclesfield print.

I agree that you need more spread out pindots and knits etc. I probably won't buy ties anywhere else from now on.

14. tdude

tdude Senior Member

Here's a good example for my tastes. Bought this last fall. Wore it once, even though I love the autumnal colorway. Ties a poor knot. If it had been made by David, I might have worn it twice a week. (Sun has brightened it a good bit in the pic. It's darker IRL.
    [​IMG]

15. Todd V

Todd V Senior Member

I could use a wool fall tie from David, too. That's one thing I don't have. Once I tried a made to measure tie, I don't bother shopping elsewhere. Why would I? I like a 56" length!